Scuba detector for larger steel objects

HeroDivers

Hi, looking for advice on what detector(s) may work better for detecting larger steel objects under a 6-12" silt layer on the sea floor, such as helix anchors & moorings. Typical water depth is 10-30'.

Longer detection distance & depth is definitely a plus. Ability to detect small objects like coins is not a concern. The metal items I need to search for are typically at least 5-10 lbs or more. I work mainly in fresh water. Typically what I'm finding is mild or galvanized steel, but also some stainless steel.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Curious if one of the less expensive $150 Quest detectors would work as well for this use case as the more expensive ones like from JW Fishers.

I'd say if you're looking for steel in fresh water a pulse would be the way to go for the money; Garret Sea Hunter & Infinium, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's Pi's. Any of those should hit a coin in 6-12" of silt. A large object will be detected 1.5-2 feet easily. JW Fisher's are higher end and good as well. Stay away from QUESTionable brands.

How about a magnet just to get started or As far as a detector, I would go garrett sea hunter II.. built like a tank n used can go from 3 to 4 hundred.

Agree

I have a Scuba Detector , have not used it yet, but for over 6 inches i suggest a pulse machine . Definately something with a larger search coil , try Aqua Pulse .

Last edited:
Heck, with that size targets, anything that's waterproof at those depths will work fine..

<°)))>{

I somewhat agree..... any waterproof detector rated to that depth would work. That right there limits the field. Iron is one of those metals that creates a good HALO as it deteriorates causing it to seem even larger to a detector...... and rust is a good conductor since it magnetic it responds well. What you need besides one for that depth is ...... one which SIZES a target well also. Salt content at depth can make a difference as to the uS of the PI needed or affect depth on a VLF.

Back
Top Bottom