• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Arctic Snow Cone Hut / coin hunt

davidlhyde63366

Forum Supporter
This summer they removed the Arctic Snow Cone hut, that was sitting on a dirt lot, been hunting around it for several years and been a good source of clad . This year they decided to close it and removed the hut which was a shed as well as a wood deck . Got to check where the wood deck had been today and found 222 coins amounting to $51.82 all were badly discolored and modern clad . Need to run them through the tumbler to clean them up. Will go back as soon as i get the chance to hit the out laying areas. This is my most coins found in one hunt , what a rush.

WOW :shock: 222 coins in ONE hunt is super !!!! Congrats Dave !!!! :thumbsup:
:wow2::woohoo::dingding::detector:

Could this be Dave showing his wife his finds collection after today's hunt ? :laughing:
Daves_coins_finds.jpg

Wowser now that's the way to do it, bring home your coins in a coffee can or 5 gal bucket. Should pay for your batteries for a number of future hunts.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

222 coin find

Wowser now that's the way to do it, bring home your coins in a coffee can or 5 gal bucket. Should pay for your batteries for a number of future hunts.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Actually just bought a blister pack of 9 volt batteries at Costco , headed to Florida in a week , for such a small area it was like a gold mine of discolored coins that had fallen between the boards of their deck over years . This was my best find ever , even if it was modern clad. Be lucky to hit a spot like that again. Just wish i had been there when they pulled up the deck, bet there was a bunch of shiny silver colored coins right on top. The workers probably filled their pockets . Been tumbling the coins as well as finds this year and last , wife is cashing them in a the airport where she works they still have a coin shortage , sure she will cash them in and i will never see that money again. At least wife now has a little more respect for the hobby. :laughing:

Actually just bought a blister pack of 9 volt batteries at Costco , headed to Florida in a week , for such a small area it was like a gold mine of discolored coins that had fallen between the boards of their deck over years . This was my best find ever , even if it was modern clad. Be lucky to hit a spot like that again. Just wish i had been there when they pulled up the deck, bet there was a bunch of shiny silver colored coins right on top. The workers probably filled their pockets . Been tumbling the coins as well as finds this year and last , wife is cashing them in a the airport where she works they still have a coin shortage , sure she will cash them in and i will never see that money again.

At least wife now has a little more respect for the hobby. :laughing:

.....that alone was worth it ! :lol:

I will keep that location quiet till i am sure i have got every coin out of it, still need to hit the outlaying area . Hopefully the lot is not sold and built on before i can hit it again.

Silence on the location is golden for now. :laughing:

......top secret location, hey, with as much as you'd like to have the time to get out and hunt more I don't blame you for wanting to keep that spot secret for now :laughing:

.....that alone was worth it ! :lol:

......top secret location, hey, with as much as you'd like to have the time to get out and hunt more I don't blame you for wanting to keep that spot secret for now :laughing:

Would like to get at least one more decent hunt in there at that site where i have plenty of time this year, just to be sure i didn't over look anything ,and going out of state in a few days for at least a month , but hope to hit it again after i return.

I will keep that location quiet till i am sure i have got every coin out of it, still need to hit the outlaying area . Hopefully the lot is not sold and built on before i can hit it again. Silence on the location is golden for now.:laughing:
Just remember I only live 40 or so miles west of you
I could drive to your fair city and ask around where the snow cone shack is/was. [emoji2] Just kidding I wouldn't do that. Good luck in Florida.

Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Just remember I only live 40 or so miles west of you
I could drive to your fair city and ask around where the snow cone shack is/was. [emoji2] Just kidding I wouldn't do that. Good luck in Florida.

Don

Where are you located at ? being a forum member i am willing to share some locations including that one if you get out my way. Here is a link showing what the front of the building looked like. https://www.facebook.com/374029676427429/photos/a.374032596427137/374032583093805 not in picture was a wooden deck in the back where the people ordered ,which is where the coins fell between the cracks. They had about 4 or 5 picnic tables sitting in the grass out back that were not only used by their customers but a near by QT gas station. For last few years i was finding coins around the tables often fairly deep. Headed to Florida Friday for at least a month , will be hitting some beaches while there this time , and have a possible old dairy farm that was around about 100 years where there is a possibility of some older finds. We have a place down there in northern Florida , daughter is going to nursing collage there.

Where are you located at ? being a forum member i am willing to share some locations including that one if you get out my way. Here is a link showing what the front of the building looked like. https://www.facebook.com/374029676427429/photos/a.374032596427137/374032583093805 not in picture was a wooden deck in the back where the people ordered ,which is where the coins fell between the cracks. They had about 4 or 5 picnic tables sitting in the grass out back that were not only used by their customers but a near by QT gas station. For last few years i was finding coins around the tables often fairly deep. Headed to Florida Friday for at least a month , will be hitting some beaches while there this time , and have a possible old dairy farm that was around about 100 years where there is a possibility of some older finds. We have a place down there in northern Florida , daughter is going to nursing collage there.
Hey David thanks for the offer man but I wouldn't go to O'Fallon to hunt your spot. I live just a few miles north of Jonesburg just west of Warrenton. Did you ever hunt Fort Zumwalt park that hill by the old Fort. Back in the earlier 60s that was a popular sled riding spot. Went down it myself a few times in the hood of an old Chevy. Good hunting in Florida.

Don

Hey David thanks for the offer man but I wouldn't go to O'Fallon to hunt your spot. I live just a few miles north of Jonesburg just west of Warrenton. Did you ever hunt Fort Zumwalt park that hill by the old Fort. Back in the earlier 60s that was a popular sled riding spot. Went down it myself a few times in the hood of an old Chevy. Good hunting in Florida.

Don

Actually that park is listed as off limits to metal detecting due to historic nature, but have considered trying to hit some of the outlaying areas. Have been there many times to walk my dog. They drained and dug out the lake last year . If you do come out this way you might check out Frontier park in St. Charles MO. park is very old , lots of history and lots of heavy use over the years. Have found lots of clad there as well as a silver ring. They have a 4th of July as well as festival of the little hills every year ,and a number of other events there. I usally park at the Lewis and Clark boat house ,lots of parking and walk right across .

I will keep that location quiet till i am sure i have got every coin out of it, still need to hit the outlaying area . Hopefully the lot is not sold and built on before i can hit it again. Silence on the location is golden for now.:laughing:

Would like to get at least one more decent hunt in there at that site where i have plenty of time this year, just to be sure i didn't over look anything ,and going out of state in a few days for at least a month , but hope to hit it again after i return.

I did some online research and sent Dave some pics of what I thought was the "top secret" former location of that snow cone stand :laughing:

I told him I would not post them unless or until he wanted me to but he said go ahead and post them, but I told him I would not mention the street name though :lol:

So here is the "Top Secret" location :laughing:
(NOTE: these pics are from before the snow cone stand moved)
Snow_Cone_stand2.jpg

Snow_Cone_stand1.jpg

(added this one after I sent Dave the other two, to show a close up of the deck area he mentioned)
Snow_Cone_stand3.jpg

coins under patio deck.

I did some online research and sent Dave some pics of what I thought was the "top secret" former location of that snow cone stand :laughing:

I told him I would not post them unless or until he wanted me to but he said go ahead and post them, but I told him I would not mention the street name though :lol:

So here is the "Top Secret" location :laughing:
(NOTE: these pics are from before the snow cone stand moved)
View attachment 472511

View attachment 472512

(added this one after I sent Dave the other two, to show a close up of the deck area he mentioned)
View attachment 472513

if you can imagine under that small a deck area 222 coins face value $51.82 that fell through the cracks .

if you can imagine under that small a deck area 222 coins face value $51.82 that fell through the cracks .
Don't know how many were surface finds and how many buried but if a large majority buried I can imagine you had that little area worked up like ready to plant a garden.[emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom