• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cut my big tree down

metaladdict

Elite Member
Man, Am I happy this worked out! I learned from you tube how to cut big trees👍😬

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_192029924.jpg
    IMG_20200922_192029924.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 293
Glad it worked out ! :thumbsup:

It definitely pays to do your "how to" homework especially if the trees are close to your house.

My wife and I took down several very very large trees when we first moved here as they were too close to the house. I made sure I studied the proper cutting technique for getting the tree to fall in the direction I wanted, but as an added precaution we even tied a long heavy rope a good ways up and pulled it tight around a far enough away tree in the direction we wanted just to be really sure and it all worked out well.

Thank you.
Glad it worked out ! :thumbsup:

It definitely pays to do your "how to" homework especially if the trees are close to your house.
For sure! It was a bit scary wondering if It would wreck something or someone.
My wife and I took down several very very large trees when we first moved here as they were too close to the house. I made sure I studied the proper cutting technique for getting the tree to fall in the direction I wanted, but as an added precaution we even tied a long heavy rope a good ways up and pulled it tight around a far enough away tree in the direction we wanted just to be really sure and it all worked out well.
Good planning!
Nice hinge :). Nice work Metal!

I love chainsawing lol. Lot of work though. Soon you’ll have some firewood!

Yeah, thanks to YouTube I learned about that hinge! And how far to cut approximately.😬

Nice job. I’ve a large oak too close to the house. Surrounded by other oaks so it’s going to cost about $700 for a boom truck to come out and drop it from the top. That doesn’t include grinding up the mess.

I'm dropping an old White Oak that's about 4½ft in diameter at the base next week. It was a grand old tree, but it finally reached the end of it's lifespan, so it's got to go.
It was weighted to fall in the wrong direction, so I hired a guy with a boom truck to take off all the limbs on that side so it will now fall where I want it to drop. It was well worth the $200 I paid to have that guy take off those limbs.

I'm dropping an old White Oak that's about 4½ft in diameter at the base next week. It was a grand old tree, but it finally reached the end of it's lifespan, so it's got to go.
It was weighted to fall in the wrong direction, so I hired a guy with a boom truck to take off all the limbs on that side so it will now fall where I want it to drop. It was well worth the $200 I paid to have that guy take off those limbs.

Royally wise you are!

Nice job. I’ve a large oak too close to the house. Surrounded by other oaks so it’s going to cost about $700 for a boom truck to come out and drop it from the top. That doesn’t include grinding up the mess.
Ouch! Glad I saved the money but I was going to hire someone soon also.

$200. Sounds like a fair price, since I am paid little as an Auto tech.:no:

have dropped my fair share of trees.... be careful, wear chaps, wear a hardhat with a face shield.... always clear your surroundings and have multiple exit plans. thing go so very wrong so fast, even when people have cut their whole life.

have dropped my fair share of trees.... be careful, wear chaps, wear a hardhat with a face shield.... always clear your surroundings and have multiple exit plans. thing go so very wrong so fast, even when people have cut their whole life.
▲▲▲Abdolute truth!!▲▲▲
Barber-chairs and limb-tied trees are extremely dangerous, and account for a lot of injuries and deaths every year. Carelessness maims and kills!

▲▲▲Abdolute truth!!▲▲▲
Barber-chairs and limb-tied trees are extremely dangerous, and account for a lot of injuries and deaths every year. Carelessness maims and kills!

Totally! I recently bought wrap around chainsaw chaps and have a helmet with face screen in my amazon cart. Many years chainsawing without (stupid!) the protective equipment is a hell of a lot cheaper than emergency room or burial...

Good job on knocking down that tree.I agree with the guys above,lots of unknowns when felling a tree no matter how big or small.Im glad all went well

Good job on knocking down that tree.I agree with the guys above,lots of unknowns when felling a tree no matter how big or small.Im glad all went well
Yep! A lot of people never consider how much energy can be stored even in a small tree. Big ones multiply the energy quickly. It really is amazing how fast and unpredictably several tons of wood can move when that energy is released.

Cutting down trees isn't bad if you know what your doing. If you don't know what your doing things can go wrong in a big hurry.

I've known life long loggers who have had accidents, you can be an expert and still have things go wrong the second you get too comfortable, or an odd series of events unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom