Help Identifying...possibly a musket ball mold ??

jt2628

Found this at a house that was built in the 1700s...thinking it is a musket ball mold. Made of brass or copper, measures 3.5" and has the numbers 9 3 6 on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• mb1.jpg
    mb1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 394
  • mb2.jpg
    mb2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 360
It does have holes for pins / hinge on the sides at the top...there is not a hole for pouring lead in but I was wondering if that would be on the other half of it.

Doesn't look like one I've ever seen. They are usually a heavier metal tool that look like pliers. I think it's something else.

I think it's some kind off relief or regulator valve part. It would ride on the "hinge pin", the hole near the mounting point would fit over a steam, water, oil tube. The little forks would hold a shaft with stops on it. as the little shaft (with stops) would rise and fall, it would lift the larger hole off whatever it was closing off when down.

Doubt it's a musket ball mold half. The bottom is flat and the sides are straight. Don't think it's a bullet mold for anything. Agree with other comment. some sort of control handle.

Back
Top Bottom