Minelab.... we need a better solution UPDATE

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
I think its time we bring this up because its a major flaw on the equinox 15" inch coil.

I ran the 15" inch coil for 6 months, ears snapped off.
My buddy runs a 15" coil with ear guard for 12 months, ears snapped off.
Watching gigmasters recent video, 15" coil with ear guard and ears snapped off.

These breaks are not happening because the user is leaning or twisting the ears, the coil ears just snap off downward.

Yes, minelab has a great warranty but was told they only will replace a coil once. And then what? One year from then it breaks again? This is a serious problem and minelab should be finding a solution, not us. The ear guards on ebay are not effective.

Last edited:
Has this been raised on other forums? Curious what the best option is for existing users as well as petitioning for a redesign.

I'm thinking of getting a Equinox 800, But I hate when you have to worry abot the stupid ears breaking off. I do have an Extera 500, that I put nylon washer in between the ears and the rod and they have worked fine for the last 5 years. But I wonder why they have not taken care of this problem by now.

It's not just the 15" coil, the 15" coil is probably most prone to breaking due to the size and weight of the coil. I've heard many stories of broken coil ears, and yes it does seem like maybe 8/10 are 15" coils. I've been using a 3D printed buffer since I got my machine, and I'm very rough with my machines, so far so good. I'm only running the stock coil though. I'm still in the market for a 15" coil. So hopefully something is done before I pull the trigger, although I'm not confident they will change anything. Shall we start protesting? :laughing:

The Equinox has been advertised as a saltwater beach detector. Many of the coil ear breaks have come from beach and submerged detecting due to the adverse conditions of moving a big coil through moving water or loaded with wet sand.

From the design of the bigger Equinox coils, they look a lot like CTX coils which also had coil ear breaks by water hunters. Seems like Minelab should have had fair warning that this tendency was likely to repeat itself if they didn’t change their saltwater VLF coil design......

Excalibur coil ears are at least twice as thick as the Equinox/CTX coil ears and they have been known to also break but not as often. So part of the problem is just how tough water hunting is on coil ears and other detector parts. Part is definitely a weakness in the design of Equinox/CTX coil ears.

I have water hunted maybe 10 times total with an Equinox. I have had at least two Equinox detectors in constant, everyday, 2 to 4 hour dry land hunt use since they came out. I have had zero problems with coil ears breaking and I am not nice to my detectors.

Last edited:
I broke my 15" on hard wet sand. Somewhat of a fast sweep but hit it at an angle just at the right spot. 1 ear that I then epoxied.

Coil Ears Matter !

They really should do something to resolve this. Many Fisher F75s and Teknetics T2s had coil ear breakage and First Texas redesigned the coil ears to add these ridges for strength.

Attachments

• F75coilear.jpg
    F75coilear.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 998
The problem is also very persistent on the stock coil as well. It's a combination of weak coil ears, wrong sized bushing, wrong bushing material and addition of coil ear protectors than can aggravate the problem.

(1) coil ears are too thin with no lateral reinforcement plus cheap plastic.

(2) Although the provided rubber bushing fits nicely, it's actually too thin and when placed where it is supposed to be actually sits flush with the rim of the bushing depression at the end of the forward shaft. As a result there is only a very light physical contact with the rubber bush and the coil ears resulting in only a very light "grip" . As a result causing the coils to easily move which causes users to tighten the screw bolt even more than it should, causing the coil years to bend slightly inward towards each other but increasing grip between coil ears and shaft.

(3) The bushing material is odd. It's supposed to be rubber but it is very smooth and soft. Because it is so smooth, it provides less friction. Because it is soft, after been in place for some time, the rubber bush gets squeezed thinner in areas it come into contact and thus grip between the bush and coil ears is reduced further. Often causing users to tighten the bolt even more. Addition even more tension to the coil ears.

(4)Coil ear protectors can actually make the problem worse. Assuming you have a the stock Minelab rubber bushing, slightly worn and does not provide enough friction to hold the coil securely. You add a coil protector. That coil protector does NOTHING to add friction. It also adds nothing to provide lateral strength to the coil ears as the tension from the coil bolt is from the direction away from the ear protectors.

What happened to my stock coil with original worn bushing and coil protectors, was my coil protector broke as I had to over tighten my coil bolt to provide any meaningful tension so my coil would not constantly slip. Immediately when the coil protector broke, pressure/tension from the coil bolt was immediately transferred to my coil ears which then broke at the same time. Examining the broken coil protector revealed the inside to be mostly hollow with lots of "air" in the material. And I am not rough with my detectors.

Got a free replacment 11" coil but now have to be extra careful with use.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

(1) Add material to the inside of the bush/washer housing on the rod end. What my friends did was cut a piece of old bicycle rubber tube, put on the inside of the bush/washer holder then place the original bush on top of it. You just need to protrude the bush/washer out 0.5mm to 1mm beyond the plastic ring that make the outside of the Bush/washer holder for friction to occur to hold the coil securely. Or if you want to spend money, Detect-Ed sells coil saves that do just that that is also made of a stronger material with more friction capabilities. The simplest is to remove the original bush/washers and flip them round. Inside to outside. That alone will provide more fiction. But it is just temporary.

(2) If you want to use a coil saver, look for one that is designed with some sort of built in lateral support that gives it more strength. Most coil savers on eBay DO NOT have such lateral support. Only a few do.

DO NOT use one of these coil savers without lateral support together with a stock bush/washer that already shows signs of wear causing you to over tighten you coil bolt!

I've been thinking of using putty or something to lay an epoxy "ramp" for each ear to strenghten them. No idea how good this will be since epoxy is brittle and the ears need to flex a little to snug up on the yoke / rod.

Maybe black dyed epoxy along with detect-ed coil saver shims.

The problem is also very persistent on the stock coil as well. It's a combination of weak coil ears, wrong sized bushing, wrong bushing material and addition of coil ear protectors than can aggravate the problem.

(1) coil ears are too thin with no lateral reinforcement plus cheap plastic.

(2) Although the provided rubber bushing fits nicely, it's actually too thin and when placed where it is supposed to be actually sits flush with the rim of the bushing depression at the end of the forward shaft. As a result there is only a very light physical contact with the rubber bush and the coil ears resulting in only a very light "grip" . As a result causing the coils to easily move which causes users to tighten the screw bolt even more than it should, causing the coil years to bend slightly inward towards each other but increasing grip between coil ears and shaft.

(3) The bushing material is odd. It's supposed to be rubber but it is very smooth and soft. Because it is so smooth, it provides less friction. Because it is soft, after been in place for some time, the rubber bush gets squeezed thinner in areas it come into contact and thus grip between the bush and coil ears is reduced further. Often causing users to tighten the bolt even more. Addition even more tension to the coil ears.

(4)Coil ear protectors can actually make the problem worse. Assuming you have a the stock Minelab rubber bushing, slightly worn and does not provide enough friction to hold the coil securely. You add a coil protector. That coil protector does NOTHING to add friction. It also adds nothing to provide lateral strength to the coil ears as the tension from the coil bolt is from the direction away from the ear protectors.

What happened to my stock coil with original worn bushing and coil protectors, was my coil protector broke as I had to over tighten my coil bolt to provide any meaningful tension so my coil would not constantly slip. Immediately when the coil protector broke, pressure/tension from the coil bolt was immediately transferred to my coil ears which then broke at the same time. Examining the broken coil protector revealed the inside to be mostly hollow with lots of "air" in the material. And I am not rough with my detectors.

Got a free replacment 11" coil but now have to be extra careful with use.

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

(1) Add material to the inside of the bush/washer housing on the rod end. What my friends did was cut a piece of old bicycle rubber tube, put on the inside of the bush/washer holder then place the original bush on top of it. You just need to protrude the bush/washer out 0.5mm to 1mm beyond the plastic ring that make the outside of the Bush/washer holder for friction to occur to hold the coil securely. Or if you want to spend money, Detect-Ed sells coil saves that do just that that is also made of a stronger material with more friction capabilities. The simplest is to remove the original bush/washers and flip them round. Inside to outside. That alone will provide more fiction. But it is just temporary.

(2) If you want to use a coil saver, look for one that is designed with some sort of built in lateral support that gives it more strength. Most coil savers on eBay DO NOT have such lateral support. Only a few do.

DO NOT use one of these coil savers without lateral support together with a stock bush/washer that already shows signs of wear causing you to over tighten you coil bolt!

You make some very valid points, thanks for sharing. I've been wondering if the protectors actually make it worse. I think youre right. You mention protectors with lateral strength, any links for these?

All I know is this. Minelab needs to make these coils/ears out of some other stronger material. Now I've been using whites beach machines for some 30 , 40 years. Have owned many different versions. I've hit them against rocks , my scoop , hit the hard sand at all sorts of crazy angles. Have learned on the whole detector bracing myself as I get up. Never once have I broken ANY coil ears. In less than 4 months with the Nox 15" coil , the ears broke. I mean give me a break Minelab....Oops...I guess you did..

All I know is this. Minelab needs to make these coils/ears out of some other stronger material. Now I've been using whites beach machines for some 30 , 40 years. Have owned many different versions. I've hit them against rocks , my scoop , hit the hard sand at all sorts of crazy angles. Have learned on the whole detector bracing myself as I get up. Never once have I broken ANY coil ears. In less than 4 months with the Nox 15" coil , the ears broke. I mean give me a break Minelab....Oops...I guess you did..

My 30 years agree, and White's is the one going outta business ? Just glad I didn't get caught up with all the hoopla and end up with one. Between wobbly shafts, broken coil ears, or the unit just powering down and never powering back up ... sad state of affairs. Passing on the Nox and purchasing the ORX when it came out ...Winning!!

Update on the coil stiffener. I purchased the one mentioned a few posts ago that comes with zip tie supports. It shipped internationally and took a long time to arrive. I have to say right off the bat, its MUCH stronger and much better fit than the other ebay offerings. The plastic is better and the design is better. The zip tie system is really cool. Now to see if the zip ties will hold up to serious use or if they have to be replaced after every hunt.
cb028e3c238e37eb8350e762d69f7695.jpg
fee5fd891ef6ac7467132ef60615ab67.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Update on the coil stiffener. I purchased the one mentioned a few posts ago that comes with zip tie supports. It shipped internationally and took a long time to arrive. I have to say right off the bat, its MUCH stronger and much better fit than the other ebay offerings. The plastic is better and the design is better. The zip tie system is really cool. Now to see if the zip ties will hold up to serious use or if they have to be replaced after every hunt.
cb028e3c238e37eb8350e762d69f7695.jpg
fee5fd891ef6ac7467132ef60615ab67.jpg

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Still happy with the design?

Re the zip ties, with that size tie, you can remove the coil cover, place the zip tie around the coil itself and then replace the cover as normal...

This means the coil cover will then be protecting the zip ties and you can still remove the cover for cleaning ect...

Still happy with the design?

Re the zip ties, with that size tie, you can remove the coil cover, place the zip tie around the coil itself and then replace the cover as normal...

This means the coil cover will then be protecting the zip ties and you can still remove the cover for cleaning ect...

Very happy with it. With the detect"ed" rubber spacers and the strong support/zip ties it feels rock solid.

I've used it 4 hunts and everything is good! Zip ties still in good shape, havent worn down.

Not sure about zip ties between coil and cover. They are too rigid and would space out the coil cover. At the beach it would fill with sand and clog it up.

I have had zero trouble with the coil ears on the 11" and the 6". I did put one of the red plastic protectors on mine after a friend had his break. I don't consider the friend rough with his detectors either. If anything he is over protective. If a person buys a ear protector would it not make since to just epoxy it to the coil. For the 15" coil at least that would seem to be a good fix and strengthen it much more than a redesign would.

Heard of any fixes for the 3030 coils ? Just in case.
I loosen up my coil bolt a bit after the wash down. Hoping that helps.

Back
Top Bottom