Deep coin at the edge of detection....

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Using FBS powered machine...have you experienced and ever filmed a TOTALLY IRON SIGNAL winding up being a coin of ANY kind here in the USA? Not “mostly iron” or an “iffy signal” or “kinda sorta”...STRAIGHT IRON back and forth and also at 90 degrees,target by itself. I’ve heard the old wives tales,if IRON INDICATION IS REALLY A COIN is the tale...never seen it.
What say YOU?

Can't say that I have. I've dug quite a few targets that read around 25-43 from every direction with minimal number variation that sounded nice and ended up being wheat pennies with a nail or two also in the hole.

I had a similar experience at a park here in Australia. I don't have it on film though, because I never record my hunts.

I got a faint signal jumping between 12:36 - 12:40 on the CTX (said about 18cm/7in which isn't too deep). From past experience these type of signals can indicate a deep penny (which appears shallow on the detector) so I dug a deep plug, and dug down about 20cm (7.9in). Pinpointer doesn't go off yet, so I dig down another 10cm (4in), and it still doesn't. So I dig a final 10cm (4in) down and the pinpointer is still silent.

So I put all the dirt and the grass back, and go over the spot with the detector. I only get an iron signal (33:46 etc) where the previous good signal was. I flip the plug back over and scrape some soil away, and down at the bottom of the hole (about 25/30cm) I see the outline of a small silver coin (on its side). It was a thin 1901 English Threepence (they're small, only 16mm (0.6in) in diameter.

I think what happened there is that coin was much shallower when I originally picked it up, and I must've scooped it out the hole with the dirt. But whatever the case, if it had been that deep to begin with (only giving off the iron signal), I probably wouldn't have dug it.

I found a 5 pound cannonball with an MXT in the woods with a water table a couple inches below the ground. The MXT swore and indicated it was a silver dime. About 10" down after scooping out watery mud slush pulled out what I thought was a rock in the way of the dime turned out to be the cannonball. Checking the hole and muck afterwards for the dime target. No indication at all. In this case high tone, silver dime target ID= cannonball.

Sven...that’s brutal! That’s really a very cool find though...I’d take it!:lol:
I’m looking for the other way though...IRON indication that winds up being a COIN,not a COIN signal that is really IRON.

Only with my very first detector, a BH. I was doing a depth test on a quarter using a box of dirt. Box was about 6" deep. Quarter rang up as straight up iron.

BCD

I've only had them go the other way. All the horseshoes I've dug looked like big dimes. Most of the deep iron signals I see end up crumbling away.

Very cool you caught it on video Kevin! I watched it... I dug a walker earlier this year that behaved very similar. I was using the 17” coil though... It was super deep and it was coming in like a Indian to wheat. Boy I was surprised just as you were! The Ctx amazes me every time I use it! Awesome find and Happy Hunting

I've had so many crazy tones turn into something else (mainly bc I hunt heavily ironed locations) that I just dig just about anything repeatable these days. You just never know what you may pass up otherwise.

On film? No, but try this...heat up the coil on the Explorer with high sens, like 30 in manual, then put it in iron mask at -16. Smartfind screen and watch for the cursor to settle top right or nearby along with a blank or single bar showing on the depth gauge. Dig if you see that...

Very cool you caught it on video Kevin! I watched it... I dug a walker earlier this year that behaved very similar. I was using the 17” coil though... It was super deep and it was coming in like a Indian to wheat. Boy I was surprised just as you were! The Ctx amazes me every time I use it! Awesome find and Happy Hunting

Tom...it was NOT my video if you saw such a thing,can you post a link? Anything I’ve dug is pretty much in line with what I thought it was,like the last Walker with a high tone. Once I realized what the coin was,using Ferrous/coin the ID was correct....10” down standing straight on edge. That SOB is so accurate it’s mindblowing.

On film? No, but try this...heat up the coil on the Explorer with high sens, like 30 in manual, then put it in iron mask at -16. Smartfind screen and watch for the cursor to settle top right or nearby along with a blank or single bar showing on the depth gauge. Dig if you see that...

I need a lower rod for my EX2 to go do that Bruce! I can’t cough one up!:(

Using FBS powered machine...have you experienced and ever filmed a TOTALLY IRON SIGNAL winding up being a coin of ANY kind here in the USA? Not “mostly iron” or an “iffy signal” or “kinda sorta”...STRAIGHT IRON back and forth and also at 90 degrees,target by itself. I’ve heard the old wives tales,if IRON INDICATION IS REALLY A COIN is the tale...never seen it.

What say YOU?

I might have the most significant story to tell on this. I was detecting a gold rush site where I found my gold coins. We have power lines near by and my buddy wasn’t finding jack squat. I had a real iffy signal on my deus. It sounded like iron until I hovered over it for a solid 10 seconds. It was a gold coin. About 1 minute later same thing. I called my buddy over and his MX Sport said solid iron. Out came another gold coin. Both coins were 3-4 inches deep. I know this isn’t a depth issue but you never know what might be effecting your machine at any given time. Just for the record my buddy is a better detector than I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep coins on the very edge of a detectors capabilities will likely always sound like iron. This is why that on really deep targets that registry as iron, if they shape like a coin and size like a coin, and more importantly, pinpoint like a coin, it is worth digging.

Even deep iron won't pinpoint like a coin (unless it is really rusted and roughly coin shaped). A coin that reads as iron will pinpoint like a coin from multiple directions because it doesn't share the annoying material properties of iron.

Tom...it was NOT my video if you saw such a thing,can you post a link? Anything I’ve dug is pretty much in line with what I thought it was,like the last Walker with a high tone. Once I realized what the coin was,using Ferrous/coin the ID was correct....10” down standing straight on edge. That SOB is so accurate it’s mindblowing.

Isn’t this you??? Lol! https://youtu.be/XkdohNwAwCE

Most any detector will call a deep enough coin iron. I know from my experience the garrett machines (ace 250 and AT Pro) both did and the Deus does too, it just has to be a much deeper coin. :D I believe other brands will do this as well. So how many deep coins have we all missed?

I just dug a deep Merc with the explorer 2,,was about 9 inches..All I heard was a thump sound,,but I've heard that before and when I worked that spot with the coil it started to come in,,faint and only a 00-25,,but I knew from before it was probably silver..Sure enough,deep silver

It is Tom,sorry. I thought you were saying I dug that with a straight IRON indication...thanks for the view! The main reason for my surprise was in the last 20 times there,I’ve only dug 5 silver coins TOTAL. It’s close to my house and I know it’s old,so I figured when I had time I’d go pick at it and see what happened. I NEVER even thought there was a Walker within reach in there as it has been pretty well covered in the past. Apparently the recent rain made a difference or I never heard that “chirp” before!
I do love it when wheats turn into Walkers!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom