• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Cold Calling

Jrm

So one of the banks I order from gave me a call right before they closed. The teller said a woman had dropped off $33 in halves and a roll of quarters. There was a silver quarter, but the customer kept it when she noticed. Even though I figured I would not likely find anything, my advice is to always go pick up the coins the same day the bank calls; it ups the chances they will continue to call you.

I arrive at the bank, and the story changed quite a bit. The customer did not notice the silver quarter, the teller did, but the customer did take it when it was pointed out. However, there was not one roll of quarters, but thirteen. She told me they were mostly the "dual date kind". I have a coin dealer friend who collects bicentennials, so I bought everything.

To my surprise I saw quite the gleam when I opened the envelope of halves at home. Eight of the sixty-six halves were 1964, there were no 40%ers. While the teller was incorrect about most of the quarters being bicentennials, I did get $30-40 worth bagged for my friend. I also got a 1936 and a 1963 quarter, as well as a Canadian coin and a French coin.

Not to shabby at all for the bank cold calling me for the first time. The teller said she would rather the coins go to an actual customer versus some random passerby who happens to ask. I could not agree more.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 0716181906a.jpg
    0716181906a.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 187
Nice haul!

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard cold calling described that way. Usually, you ‘cold call’ the bank (walk-in, not actually calling) as a customer. This way, the tellers don’t have time to pilfer the silver themselves, they’re caught off guard.

Haha, yeah, just a catchy title. They 'cold called' me because that bank had never called me before about anything. I am not sure if I was the first one on the list or just the first one who was interested.

Usually, you ‘cold call’ the bank (walk-in, not actually calling) as a customer. This way, the tellers don’t have time to pilfer the silver themselves, they’re caught off guard.

Yeah i know of at least one bank person who has dud boxes just waiting for you in the vault. You get another teller is when you find the good stuff.

Yeah? That was sure a lightening strike there! For a bank teller to call YOU? You must have some serious game!...Somebody behind the counter sure likes the cut of your jib! You got a stalker on your six! Before you know it, She will be salting dud rolls with a few silvers just to get you back into her branch!

Careful! Somebody either wants to marry you or get commission on all your accounts if you transfer them all over and/or subscribe to the monthly account ID theft protection plan!

Or, you got GAME! :laughing: These tellers! If one of the three banks I work with called me and handed over a stash like that?...yeah..I'd be transferring all my accounts to them.....then, if it kept up on the steady, rolls of silvers and such, I'd be getting a home loan, auto, and proposing eventually...:laughing:...All for a few silver coins..they could get my full attention with a little shine from time to time...

Hahaha, I do not know what it was about. I only keep $100-150 in that account merely to have 0 monthly maintenance fee. The tellers are relatively friendly, but I have cashed checks with them before and it is the slowest bank I have ever experienced. Also, they know I am engaged haha, so I really have no idea. The stalker bit sounds the most likely. :shock:

Maybe I will take them cookies and start winking on my way out and just see what happens. I like the idea of silver seeded rolls to get me through the door more often.

Yeah? That was sure a lightening strike there! For a bank teller to call YOU? You must have some serious game!...Somebody behind the counter sure likes the cut of your jib! You got a stalker on your six! Before you know it, She will be salting dud rolls with a few silvers just to get you back into her branch!

Careful! Somebody either wants to marry you or get commission on all your accounts if you transfer them all over and/or subscribe to the monthly account ID theft protection plan!

Or, you got GAME! :laughing: These tellers! If one of the three banks I work with called me and handed over a stash like that?...yeah..I'd be transferring all my accounts to them.....then, if it kept up on the steady, rolls of silvers and such, I'd be getting a home loan, auto, and proposing eventually...:laughing:...All for a few silver coins..they could get my full attention with a little shine from time to time...
Ha ha Mud that sure is funny because that’s exactly what happened to me! Yep, I married my teller :lol: We even had a shotgun wedding! All’s good though, still married to my wonderful bride of 18 years! And wow did she used to bring home the coin! :cool:

Just a joke KT. The most probable is they do not like counting any "funny money" and its easier to get someone to pick it up before end of day.

Back
Top Bottom