Curious

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
How does a post get chosen as one that the members have found most helpful?

Does a moderator pick it or does it get generated automatically after so many thumbs up?

As far as I know it is linked to the "Thumbs Up" thing.

Maybe Vlad will chime in on this.

How does a post get chosen as one that the members have found most helpful?

Does a moderator pick it or does it get generated automatically after so many thumbs up?

Can you point me to a thread where the numbers are wrong? The software calculates the totals as far as I know, but a lot of the functions are scheduled to process at certain times, so might take some time...

Can you point me to a thread where the numbers are wrong? The software calculates the totals as far as I know, but a lot of the functions are scheduled to process at certain times, so might take some time...

He wants to know what generates the message that pops up from time to time on threads where it says to click here then it shows the post that gets the most thumbs up... I think its generated by the number of clicks on thumbs ups...

I didn't want to call attention to one of my threads. The main post got 15 thumbs up and was never chosen as a helpful thread. Others with 7 on other threads have.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=260798

The ONLY reason I asked was because of that. I thought maybe, just maybe it was because it might be a touchy subject, although it shouldn't have been to most.

I didn't want to call attention to one of my threads. The main post got 15 thumbs up and was never chosen as a helpful thread. Others with 7 on other threads have.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=260798

The ONLY reason I asked was because of that. I thought maybe, just maybe it was because it might be a touchy subject, although it shouldn't have been to most.

I just checked that thread, and your post WAS chosen. Are you not seeing that??

Not at all. I have never seen any of my posts chosen! I wonder if that might be the issue. The OP cannot see if his posts are chosen, possibly?

You may be right about the OP not being able to "see" if his own post was picked, because an OP cannot "Thumbs Up" their own post.

Hopefully Vlad will know for sure.

You may be right about the OP not being able to "see" if his own post was picked, because an OP cannot "Thumbs Up" their own post.

Hopefully Vlad will know for sure.

I understand why a poster cannot like his or her own thread. But no poster knowing that their thread was voted most helpful is strange!

I think every mod and visitor would like to know if what posted would like to know folks thought their post as helpful, instead of thinking they are overlooked possibly. Then maybe no one cares if they posted something helpful.

He wants to know what generates the message that pops up from time to time on threads where it says to click here then it shows the post that gets the most thumbs up... I think its generated by the number of clicks on thumbs ups...

I have never seen that, but I do have popups disabled in my browser. Could that be the issue? or a browser compatibility issue...

I can see them just fine, just not ones where my post was chosen as most helpful

The only thing I can think of is the first post can not be used as the most helpful.
Can you point me to a thread that has the fist post is the most helpful? (other than your own)

I went through all the options but can't see anything amiss...

I can assure you that there is no blocking of ScubaDetector in the code.

The only thing I can think of is the first post can not be used as the most helpful.
Can you point me to a thread that has the fist post is the most helpful? (other than your own)

I went through all the options but can't see anything amiss...

I can assure you that there is no blocking of ScubaDetector in the code.

I think you might not be understanding what I am referring to. On some threads a small box appears in between posts that says "Users have chosen post number __ as most helpful, jump right to it."

I have never seen ANY of my posts as chosen even though some have had a lot of thumbs up.

Ron says he can see that my post on the thread I posted it was picked as most helpful. I cannot see that.

Right now I have no idea what post is showing as most helpful anywhere.

I think you might not be understanding what I am referring to. On some threads a small box appears in between posts that says "Users have chosen post number __ as most helpful, jump right to it."

1. I have never seen ANY of my posts as chosen even though some have had a lot of thumbs up.

2. Ron says he can see that my post on the thread I posted it was picked as most helpful. I cannot see that.

3. Right now I have no idea what post is showing as most helpful anywhere.

1. https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60491 can you see that box in this thread?

2. I don't see it on my computer?

3. My theory is, it has to be a post other then OP and have at least 10+ thumbs up

No, I don't see it. I have seen it on posts that have had 7 thumbs up. Probably will just wait till I see it again.

One thread it was on, it is gone now also. Maybe it doesn't stay too long?

It was on Ice Scratchers post on this thread:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2944106#post2944106

LOL no idea how it moves around!!

I can see it under the first post :?:

Members of Friendly Metal Detecting Forums have rated post 2944106 as the most helpful. Skip right to it!

Back
Top Bottom