• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Wheaties galore

SpringfieldXD

Took my $200 military surplus Vallon detector to the Jersey shore this week. Found a lot of bottle caps and a costume jewelry ring. Watched a YouTube video by NYC Metal Detector and followed his advice. Today I hit a treasure trove of wheaties, I must have found at least 15 within a small area. I also found some tokens designed to look like Spanish silver. (Very frustrating). Pretty cool day though and very impressed by the Vallon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Congrats...those wheaties sure are fun to find. I've started to fill a collectors book with the ones I find. I've got a LONG way to go, but someday I hope to have it mostly filled

Pics

Pictures or it didnt happen. :no:

Here you go! Found 19 wheaties within yards of each other.

Found some clad but wasn't really looking for any. Found a bracelet, some lame sunglasses, a buffalo charm or pin (I'm pretty sure it's junk), a promise ring and a bitchin' 1976 Datsun ZX Matchbox.

For a first time beach hunting I think I did OK. Not listed: absolute !!!! tons of bottle caps, a few utensils, pull tabs and cans.

I was surprised at how little there was down by the surf, I really thought I would find more. I was using a PI detector so I don't think it was the salt or wet sand.

OH! And some SOB dropped FAKE REALES in the sand, what a DICK!

3ca49046-de55-443d-9021-716468bcc570-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

54c76742-7cf0-46fb-8de3-afa4814fffd3-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a512eea5-cfc0-4fc0-8066-a60b561238ca-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

c24c69d6-a328-4bbd-ac2f-5c0102605526-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

34320364-86f5-4033-a89a-2cfa6233d9c3-original.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a haul on Wheaties, I may dig 4 or 5 a hunt but mine are in bad condition. You hunting freshwater?

The wheaties were on dry sand like it was a coin spill almost. They were too far apart for that though, so I theorize they all ended up together because they are the same weight and shape. Maybe another detectorist dropped his finds haha!

For the first time beach hunting you did great! It doesn't work that way most times though.

Cliff

Thanks! I've never found that many older "modern" coins at one shot anywhere before, it was very weird. My Vallon did great on the beach, my ACE400 is pretty worthless there in all but the driest sand. I live two hours from the nearest beach, so I won't be going too often. Next time I'm going to try Atlantic City or Wildwood or somewhere like that, Ocean City, NJ is more of a family resort, less bling...

Thanks! I've never found that many older "modern" coins at one shot anywhere before, it was very weird. My Vallon did great on the beach, my ACE400 is pretty worthless there in all but the driest sand. I live two hours from the nearest beach, so I won't be going too often. Next time I'm going to try Atlantic City or Wildwood or somewhere like that, Ocean City, NJ is more of a family resort, less bling...
I wish I had access to your east coast beaches. I have gulf beaches about an hour away that I go to fairly often but we don't get the wave and tide action that the ocean beaches get to turn over the sand. It is usually pretty calm and the beaches are flat and featureless. Makes it hard to know where to start.

Cliff

Took my $200 military surplus Vallon detector to the Jersey shore this week. Found a lot of bottle caps and a costume jewelry ring. Watched a YouTube video by NYC Metal Detector and followed his advice. Today I hit a treasure trove of wheaties, I must have found at least 15 within a small area. I also found some tokens designed to look like Spanish silver. (Very frustrating). Pretty cool day though and very impressed by the Vallon.

What year are the wheats?

years

What year are the wheats?

From '40 to '56 I believe with '44 and '56 being the most common. None of them are valuable, I looked them up. Next time I go to the beach will be after a noreaster in the fall. I think I'll try a different Jersey beach too. I guess I lucked out huge with the wheaties bc I found little else over the course of the week.

Back
Top Bottom