Strange interloper while MDing the beach today.

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Got out very early to the beach and saw a dark blob moving towards me. Turned out to be one PO'd reptile. Over a foot around. :shock:

Attachments

• Killer.jpg
    Killer.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 650
…...or maybe there was some of their eggs in the sand close by ? :?:

…...if so it could have been a protective mama coming to scare you away ! :lol:

That's a puppy.

On the Florida Treasure coast we get the green turtles and loggerheads and leather backs.

Look like VWs crawling on the beach.

Looks like you were at a fresh water beach as I have never seen a snapping turtle at a salt water beach. We get those big boy on our local beaches. They have been laying eggs more this year than ever. One 800 acre island up the coast a ways has over 1900 active nests this year and more showing up every day

Snapper! When they are acting angry, I hear you are supposed to tap them on the nose with your finger to calm them down. I always hear the stories of people poking them with a stick, and they bite the end of the stick off. They hate that. Do it with your finger. They like that. :laughing:

Next time lay a dime next to it for size reference.:laughing:

He probably would have eaten a dime, judging by how he bit my coil.:lol:

Looks like you were at a fresh water beach as I have never seen a snapping turtle at a salt water beach. We get those big boy on our local beaches. They have been laying eggs more this year than ever. One 800 acre island up the coast a ways has over 1900 active nests this year and more showing up every day

Yeah, Lake Michigan.
We just don't usually see turtles here, just outside the beach is downtown.

I did once have a herd of deer running down the beach towards me along the water's edge.

Usually only have to worry about those 2-legged 'animals" around here.

If he’s a foot wide, he’s fair game. You can have your Hot pockets, McNuggets, Whopper, Big Mac or McRibs. I want turtle!

Senn huge snappers on salt estuaries on the Jersey Shore, but mostly tidal creeks where fresh would meet the salt. VERY aggressive. And faster than you'd think.

Found this guy in the backyard cutting the grass about a month ago, took him in to show the kids, Thought he had a pretty cool pattern to him. Sorry pic not so good, wife got mad for me taking a turtle in the house so I had to hurry :laughing: wasn't huge, maybe 8-10 inches across the shell.

Attachments

• turtle1.jpg
    turtle1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 368
Back in the early 50's one of those got hold of my leg just below the knee. Guy twisted that rascal till he let go. Yes it hurt. We got our revenge. We ate him.

Back
Top Bottom