I'm lost. Help Ohio Detecting?

CouchSearcher

Ok, I live in South East Ohio near Zanesville.

I've looked a lot online, and can't find much about metal detecting in Ohio. There are several clubs, but none near here. I don't know where to to start or how to find out where to look and where it's even legal to go. I've read that it's legal in Ohio state parks, but only on sandy shores, and that you have to have a permit to look elsewhere.

Any advice on how to research places and just a general idea on how to start?

I've yet to get a MD, but I'm trying to see oif it'd even benefit me to get one. If I can't go anywhere other than my own property, I don't see much of a point to buy one. I see people on here talking about tot lots and stuff (I'm assuming those are like sandy areas for kids, like schools or something? I don't honestly know. I'm new to all of this. I'm looking for a healthy hobby, and have always liked treasure hunting and similar things.)

Basically, just need help getting started. Is Ohio even a good place to look, or is it unfriendly for metal detecting?

I'm in Ohio, there are lots of places all over. Any public park unless a posted sign. Friends and families yards . Get an old map of your city and compare it to the new one. See if any houses or buildings are now woodland or open lots. There is a site that will tell you where you can't ND in your county, I just don't have the link handy at the moment. If your unsure about an area, ask on here, or find out info on it , and find the property owner to ask permission. HH

I can't help you on any certain place in Ohio, but I can say this. Your in a really good part of the county to at least find old silver coins. I've seen a lot of posts on here from folks down your way finding good finds.

What has worked for me so far, and I am new so I'm no expert by a long shot is to do your research. Look for old photos, old maps of your area and try to find places where people gathered a long time back. Also, ask your friends and neighbors if you can hunt their homes. Any old home will do. I have heard that just about every old home is good for at least one old coin and I have found this to be true. Heck, my place is only 54 years old and I found 4 silver Roosevelt dimes in one 20 minute hunt just off my front porch.

This is what I've learned in a nutshell, learn your detector, learn your area and put in the time(be patient). You'll get some good finds. Good luck and happy hunting.

I think your about two hours from me.Yes Ohio is full of relics and old silver coins waiting for you to find them.I hunt beaver creek state park and while it says Sandy beaches our park people allow us to go anywhere!!!Officers just wave.I got to hunt property close by the park that was close to Sprucevale a long forgooten town part of the canal systems and I pull 1800"s silver and relics on a daily basis.Even my family members couldnt believe what I was finding.A little research goes a long way in this hobby.:grin:

Hey from White Plains, NY!

CouchSearcher,

You live in a very dangerous state for beginning metal detectorists! With so many farm fields, city, county and state parks, vacant lots, assorted woods, totlots (playgrounds), soccer, baseball and football fields – not to mention the occasional sand volleyball pit, you are screwed! After six-months, you’ll be lucky if you still own just one metal detector. The fever is bad! I know metal detectorists that run with other addicts – like wild dogs! Beware Couch.. Beware! :lol:

Thanks for the replies guys. This forum is really nice, and you've all been really helpful and encouraging.

I'm hoping I can find something on just my own property. It's 40 acres of previous farmland, 100+ years old. House still standing, as well as a large old barn. Both are in rough condition though, the house burnt, so it's gutted. The foundation is HUGE sandstones. That's how old it is.

My ultimate goal is to find my aunts engagement ring that she lost over 40 years ago. That's my goal for HERE anyway. When I get my MD, I'm going to have her try and point me in the right direction. Hopefully she remembers it well.

Any Ohioans know anything about Riverside park on route 666 in Zanesville? I know there's a bunch of joggers and cyclists that go through there, and they have a place called Kidsville I believe, which has a huge sandpit for kids, and there's even soccer fields and picnic areas. But I don't know whether or not it's open for metal detecting. I'm paranoid, and don't want to get arrested when I do get my MD. That'd be a bad first hunt lol.

Ive done ok here in northwest Ohio , but not "great" necessarily. There is a website similar to this one that is just people in Ohio. I dont know if I can mention the name of it on here due to forum rules , but if you search for ohio metal detecting forum you should be able to find it. There is a lot fewer people posting on there since its pretty much just about ohio , but you can get some ideas and meet some people here in this state.

Ok, I live in South East Ohio near Zanesville.

I've looked a lot online, and can't find much about metal detecting in Ohio. There are several clubs, but none near here. I don't know where to to start or how to find out where to look and where it's even legal to go. I've read that it's legal in Ohio state parks, but only on sandy shores, and that you have to have a permit to look elsewhere.

Any advice on how to research places and just a general idea on how to start?

See below......you're setting on the perfect place to not only locate some nice finds (and if it's never been hunted, lots of them), but to practice perfecting your recovery technique.

I'm hoping I can find something on just my own property. It's 40 acres of previous farmland, 100+ years old. House still standing, as well as a large old barn. Both are in rough condition though, the house burnt, so it's gutted. The foundation is HUGE sandstones. That's how old it is.

Sorry, my pity meter is broken :lol:

Research, read the posts on it, and how to go about it, lots of info for a beginner. Spend the winter researching, and talking with family, friends, and co-workers (and anyone else you can think of) about the possibility of their knowing the location(s) of any old properties you might be able to hunt.

Good Luck!

There is a small forum just for buckeye hunters, and it is called buckeyetreasurehunter

everyone on there is nice and would be willing to help you. I have personally hunted with many members as I am from Ohio myself

A guy I know from another forum, and I have hunted with him a few times put a lot of work into this site, with laws concerning many parks in Ohio
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/ohio-detecting-laws.html

he also publishes a detecting magazine geared just towards Ohio.
http://www.ohiometaldetecting.com/magazine.html

I was even on the cover once...lol, and have several stories published in several issues

Attachments

• terry.jpg
    terry.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,983
Thanks for the info.

Today my aunt told me that when she was younger, she just stumbled upon an Indian head penny near the old farmhouse. AND she said my uncles when they were alive, would just toss pennies out the windows of the house for fun x.x

I'm so eager to get out there, but it'll be at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 months until I can get a MD and go look. Ahhhhh the agony :(

No one has ever used an md here, but there has been a long line of people here hunting, bringing in old cars, stuff like that. Somebody over the years has had to have dropped something.

I was almost tempted, by the success of several other members, to just get a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV for $90 just to start. But I need to be patient and get a REALLY good one. In the end, we'll see how long I can wait, and whether or not I can wait for the last $50 for that Silver uMax, or if I just get the cheaper Fisher F2 with all the bonus goodies.

I see all the finds you guys make, and it makes me even more eager to get out and start searching :( It's torture :lol:

Sounds like you have a great place all lined up to hunt. Ditto what Goes4Ever stated. Hope to see ya over there as well as here. HH

We're about 2 hours apart ... you live in a great place for hunting. Just be willing to get in the car and do a bit of driving. My winter "rural" program works like this... and would work for you too.

My Rural Drive-Around Program

You stated that you would be nervous about MDing certain spots, if you ask and gain permission there is nothing to be nervous about. Relax, you'll do great. I wouldn't hesitate at all in getting a machine just to get started and get a feel for things. I am new to this hobby and I just got my Fisher F2 last week and I am kicking myself for not getting into this fun a long time ago. It is a blast, no matter what I find. Like everyone else has stated, we live in a great part of the country to find great things. And just think, it's right under your feet and you don't even know it (yet) :lol: Good luck my friend!

CouchSearcher,

You live in a very dangerous state for beginning metal detectorists! With so many farm fields, city, county and state parks, vacant lots, assorted woods, totlots (playgrounds), soccer, baseball and football fields – not to mention the occasional sand volleyball pit, you are screwed! After six-months, you’ll be lucky if you still own just one metal detector. The fever is bad! I know metal detectorists that run with other addicts – like wild dogs! Beware Couch.. Beware! :lol:

I'm moving to Ohio to protect the people there.

Hope this helps

Seems like you got a lot of good information from the good folks on here already. You are in a great spot for detecting. I detect fairly close to you on occasion and you will have a great time hunting in that area. Keep in mind that when you go somewhere to hunt always get permission first and secondly if you get permission make sure you leave the place looking as good as or better than when you started hunting on it by repairing any divots/holes etc.. But getting back to Zanesville...expand your hunting area there are so many old towns around there to keep you busy for many a summer. I get down that way fairly 5-6 times a year... Wanna get together let me know.digsallday

Back
Top Bottom