• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

leave old or make new? what do i do (my sam)

family quest

:?: o.k here is my question. i md and all my finds i am passing down to my little girl. she is 4 now and i have found rings that are from 1910 and 1908 and a few older than that. my question is should i have the old rings cleaned and stones put back into them or leave them bent and stoneless. i wouldn't be asking this question if it wasn't for the fact that i took a ring i found that was dated 1910 to a jewler and ask him to clean it and do not and i add what ever you do do not try to straight it out it isn't bent up that bad and it is to old it will break... so what happens yeap broke it and had to put it back to gather....:mad:. i have another ring that is marked f-7 1908 swiss. the ring is missing a stone and it is not bent just needs a stone and i have a lot of stones that me and my wife have bought. i got to find a jewler that will do as i ask and just put the stone in or do yall think i should just leave the old rings alone. i hate to give her rings that she can't wear but finding rings that are old like that and not restoring them just don't know. what do yall think and do with older rings yall find.

Attachments

• silver ring 005.jpg
    silver ring 005.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 1910 silver ring.jpg
    1910 silver ring.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 126
  • all pics on card 001.jpg
    all pics on card 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
the ring on the bottom is the 1910 that the jewler broke and put back togather. the top is a ring that my oldest daughter found 1908 no stone.

Are you giving them to your 4yo now? If so, id imagine she would break them if they are that brittle, Or loose them. I have a 4yo, and I know I would never give him anything of value just because it would be GONE not long after I gave it to him.

In my experience with my own kids and grandkids, 4 years old is way too young to appreciate the rings and to take care of them.

Maybe you can let her keep 'her' rings in a special jewelry box that's kept in a safe secure (from kids) place, until she's older. It'd be up to you whether or not to repair them and replace stones now, or wait until your daughter can help with the choices. What she likes at age 4 probably won't be what she likes at 16.

I think it's very sweet that you're eventually turning those nice finds over to your little girl, though. But I'd still wait, four years old is so young to take care of jewelry. Maybe later you'd like to have them melted down and turned into a ring that she designs.

If you continue to detect you will have a huge number of rings - that cannot be worn due to numbers . Maybe just pick out a few real nice ones as you go to give her ? steve in so az

Why do you really care about these rings? Sell or trade them infor something better. Send them into ARA and use the money for bullion to give to your daughter.

or should i say understand that they are old and worth something. she don't get them now i wouldn't ever see them again. there in my safe with several other old rings i have found that are older than the two up top. i guess sell and invest sounds better than spend and yall are right i do have other older rings that are in great shape now. i just like old rings. makes you wonder who was it bought for and what did it mean to that person and how did they loss it. how long did they look for it ect ect.

If I were you, I'd pick maybe two or three rings you really like to save for her and ARA the rest to start up a good college fund (or car or sweet 16 or whatever)

I think you said she is 4. You have a lot of time before you need to make up your mind but I see why you would ask advise. She is a lucky little girl!

Back
Top Bottom