I'm on a quest

patbick9

For those who read my thread on the 23rd, you know that I found my first ring. It was someone's class ring. I am now on a quest to find the owner. I have the name of the school, the year they graduated and the person's first name etched on the ring. I live in central NJ and this school is way up north Jersey, almost in NY. I live by the water, so they must have been here on vacation at some point. I tried Facebook to see if that school had a page, not luck. I tried classmates.com to see if that person entered any info on that website, no luck. I finally sent an email directly to the school to see if they can help me out in locating this person. The ring is only a few years old, so maybe they will remember this person. It also is good that the person's first name is an odd one, so the chances of having two people in that gaduating class would be less likely.

My question to everyone, did you ever try to find the owners of your finds? I am just curious if anyone else has had success.

I will let you know how I make out in finding the owner.

Good luck. Lots of people have success finding the school ring owners. They are usually thankful, but don't be surprised if they don't get all gooshy when you confront them. Their is a mod here that is good at finding the owners. PM at ya.

Yeah I have found the owner of a gold ring, I contacted the BOE who gave me the name of the person... when I tried to return it to her she got all nasty with me... spent quite a bit of time researching and making phone calls.. good luck and I hope you have more success than I did...

ring return

Yeah I have found the owner of a gold ring, I contacted the BOE who gave me the name of the person... when I tried to return it to her she got all nasty with me... spent quite a bit of time researching and making phone calls.. good luck and I hope you have more success than I did...

Just wondering, Did she accept the ring back or did you wind up keeping it?

I just had a post the other day about my Hubby's first ring that was a girl's class ring. It was pretty easy to find her since her full name was ingraved on the inside of the ring. I talked to her Mother and told her the story of finding it, then said that I would take it to the high school the next morning so the office could give it back to her. She thought she'd lost it somewhere in her room. NOT! But now she has it for Graduation which I thought was nice. : )

It's well worth the effort!

Two months ago I found a gold class ring with my Ace 250. I was able to
ID the original owner and knocked on his door the next weekend. When he
opened the door I placed the ring in his hand and asked him how long since
he had seen it. His face clouded up like he might cry and then he got a big
grin as long ago memories came back. The answer was 27 years ago when
he was a junior in college. He pumped my hand vigorously and we visited
for a few minutes as he recalled that era. I refused any reward other than
an opportunity to metal detect his yard. LOL! I was every bit as thrilled as
he was and have no regrets what so ever. Wonderful feeling! Warm regards,
Jim

Try classmates.com again

I'd go back to classmates.com and if you could contact another person in that same class, they may know the person or have a yearbook maybe. Once you find out the last name, it should be easier.

yea, I tried that, but the ring is a 2008 graduation. God knows how long it was there. I don't think Craigs list goes back that far.

I'd go back to classmates.com and if you could contact another person in that same class, they may know the person or have a yearbook maybe. Once you find out the last name, it should be easier.

I looked at that years graduating class, and there are only a few people from that year on Classmates.com. I emailed one of the teachers at the school on Friday. If they don't respond, that was going to be my next step. Thanks

I've returned a few rings over the years but it is not as easy as one would think. I've had schools say that they will contact the owners and I never hear from them again.
I had one ring from the 80's that I repeatedly tried to find the owner of. Finally, I decided to sell it on E-Bay and you guessed it, the owner saw it and contacted me. He told me the inscription inside and where he lost it so there was no doubt it was his. I was able to cancel the auction and return the ring- no charge of course. I was happy to return his ring but when he contacted me the bid was nearly up to $200....ouch! HH!

I've returned a few rings over the years but it is not as easy as one would think. I've had schools say that they will contact the owners and I never hear from them again.
I had one ring from the 80's that I repeatedly tried to find the owner of. Finally, I decided to sell it on E-Bay and you guessed it, the owner saw it and contacted me. He told me the inscription inside and where he lost it so there was no doubt it was his. I was able to cancel the auction and return the ring- no charge of course. I was happy to return his ring but when he contacted me the bid was nearly up to $200....ouch! HH!

Easy come, easy go :lol:

In the last couple of years I have found 6 and was able to return them all but one. That person graduated in 1923. There were initials but no school designation so I sold that one. Found one last year from 1925 and was able to return that one to the owners nephew, she had passed away in 1986 and didnt have any kids. I dont have much trouble locating the owners because I live in a very rural area and the swimming holes around here are about the only recreational places that you can MD. I have had only one sorta crappy return, she never thanked me, just took it and walked away. But I didnt return them for their sake, I did it for mine. Makes me feel good...d2

:please: Are you guys kidding me! We treasure hunt to find items of history and value. Our machines cost thousands of dollars, we spend an extreme amount of time searching. The laws are against us. A husband and wife team that hunt a major resort hotel for spring break that kids go to found a 4 0z gold chain. She, against all advice, posted an ad on graigst list. This woman and her husband are both un-employed and use this hobby as income. Guess what happened with her ad? A multitude of scumbags answered that it was his. Get real.

Last edited by a moderator:
:please: Are you guys kidding me! We treasure hunt to find items of history and value. Our machines cost thousands of dollars, we spend an extreme amount of time searching. The laws are against us.
A husband and wife team that hunt a major resort hotel for spring break that kids go to found a 4 0z gold chain. She, against all advice, posted an ad on graigst list. This woman and her husband are both un-employed and use this hobby as income. Guess what happened with her ad? A multitude of scumbags answered that it was his. Get real.

Put yourself in the persons shoes. If it was my class ring, it would hold sentimental value and I would like to get it back. There is alot of info on this ring that is specific to the person. Her initials are etched inside the ring, her name is marked around the stone of the ring. There is special marking depicting what type of club she belonged to at the school, not to mention the color of the stone. If I was considering putting it on Craigs list, anyone responding would have to know all of this information before I would give it up. I have emailed the school on Friday. To date, I have had no luck finding the person. If I don't hear back from them, the ring is mine. Besides, how much do you think I could get for this ring. If it was a diamond ring, that would be different.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom