Lost items recovered for an elderly gentleman, it was a great day.

The Wolf

Elite Member
So this older gentleman came into my office last week to purchase a new pair of eyeglasses because he took a fall in his yard from all the snow and lost his pair. In addition to his eyeglasses he also lost two really expensive hearing aids with magnets that actually attach to his skull. He has implants, chips, etc in his brain so the magnets amplify sounds on the auditory nerves in his brain.

Anyway I offered to come out and find these items for him with my detector, and he was thrilled for the offer. I took 3 buddies; VaMark, Longbow, and my brother in law Ryan to see if we could recover them.

After a short tour around the yard, we went to work. About 5 minutes later, Chris (Longbow) said "here they are" and held up the glasses and one hearing aid. Then Mark said "here's the other one". So I returned to the house and handed him the items. He was so happy that we were nice enough to come out and find these things, and actually found them. He ended up offering me $200, which I declined to take. It's hard to walk away from $200, but I just couldn't take it. This guy is about 70, and he actually started to tear up.

For the rest of the day, we explored about 10 acres of woods around his house hoping to find some Civil or Rev War relics, but didn't get on much. I got one tiny flower button, and Ryan got a pocket watch. This was the first ever detecting experience for Ryan. He decided to try it out and I think he is hooked now.

Anyway, even though we didn't find any relics, it was still a great day. We made this guys day big time, did our part to give our hobby a good name, had fun digging, and I got to spend some time with my buds and teach someone new how to detect. And even though I didn't take the money, just seeing the look on his face was reward enough for me.

Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting!

Great job guys, I hope to have the opportunity to do something similar one of these days.

Congrats on shining a good light on the hobby. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outstanding! What a great feeling to have been able to help him out. Congratulations!

Great way to help the guy out !!! Stories like this help the reputation of our hobby. If you took pictures maybe you could get it in the paper or something. Sure would be better than all the bad stuff you read these days. Congrats on the good deed !!!!

Excellent job, Wolf. Tell the other guys we are all proud of the good deed that all of you did. I don't really believe in Karma, but I do believe that things have a way of working out good for those who do good. You all were great ambassadors for all of us who detect. Thanks for sharing this wonderful story and for the integrity of you and your buddies... you all got WAY more than $200 for your effort!

good job. the more you help out the more land you get to uncover.
an the words (dig in my yard no way) is less like to show up
i helped a friend out by finding a ring his wife lost by the end of the week i got
most of the block on my street to let me dig up there yard lol.found coins an a lot of other stuff. mud dauber out

Great job! I am sure he will never forget what you did for him. My wife is currently working on getting a hearing aid and MAN! those things ain't cheap! I hope she never loses hers.

Great job! I am sure he will never forget what you did for him. My wife is currently working on getting a hearing aid and MAN! those things ain't cheap! I hope she never loses hers.

For sure. He said they cost over $2500 each, and the operations were $100K per ear. Holy smokes. :jawdrop:

Back
Top Bottom