Find my wedding ring!!

rosenlorden

Hello, I am thinking of getting a metal detector 2 find my wedding ring i lost in a sea in sweden. I know almost where it is in the lake and its only water to my waist line. The bottom of the sea is soft sand about 1-2 inch, then bigger stones, the ring is in the sand layer I believe. Will it be possible to use a metal detector in the water for search? I am thinking of purchasing this at my local shop.

Can i wrap some plastic around it all 2 avoid water ? It says the disc is water proof, does that include the "shaft"?

Any advice would be very helpful!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get metal detectors that are waterproof and made specifically for using while wading/swimming in the water. Get a hold of Tony for T.C. Metal Detectors (One of the site's sponsors) or check out kellyco (another sponsor). You can find great deals at both and they'll give you as much help in deciding as you need.

Also, the disc being water proof probably means that all the way to the box, but not including the box is waterproof. It's probably not meant to be used in water, but could be used in shallow water or puddles if you happen to touch them.

The coil I agree is waterproof... but the shaft, connections, and electrical stuff inside the box is most likely not... The shaft itself is no big deal... but the connector at the coil might not be water proof. If its only waist deep water, and only the shaft and coil would be in the water..... I would just wrap the connector completely in eletrical tape, and lots of it. Just my 2 cents.

Even if you manage to water-proof that machine, it's going to go nuts in sea water. Save yourself the money and just go to where you think you lost it and feel around for it.

You would have an easier time using a machine that's designed to work in salt-water and is already water-proof. And you'll need to consider the value of the ring. The waterproof machine might cost more than a replacement ring. Are there any detector stores near you? See if you can rent a water-proof machine that will work in sea-water.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. Good luck finding the ring.

Ok, I noticed the words "Sea" and "Lake" in that story. That probably means that it's salt water, so you'll have to find a detector that is salt water friendly. I just ordered the cheapest I could find that would actually be perfect for what you're wanting. The detector is meant to be used while wading in the water or walking the beach, so the coil and connections are water proof. There is no box on the shaft, all of the circuitry is in the connected headphones, so you wouldn't have to worry unless your head went under water, which it is semi water proof for. It states that dropping in the water won't hurt it but it isn't for use while snorkeling or diving, so you don't want to submerge the phones for took long or too far. The price was $316 after everything was said and done. Now you just have to decide if the ring is worth more than the $316 it costs for the detector. I know that they have much more sentimental value than monetary value, so I'd say that it would be worth it.

The detector is the HeadHunter Pirate. This is a link to it on the Kellyco site.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/detector_pro/pirate_accessories_buy.htm

Hello Rosenlorden

In my openion, the metal detector is a toy.

For $151.20 you can get a real good starter machine with quality materials and workmanship. It has a life time warranty, and you can get free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tesoro-Compadre...ryZ14955QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

To get in the water, it's best to put the control box in a plastic bag and suspend it in an inter-tube with a web accross it.

Use the rod and coil and tie the inter-tube to you.

Get a long handled sand scoop.

Most people will just not go deep enough to get the box wet.

Happy Hunting,

Thank you all for quick replies, hmm maybe I'll first give it a try with a snorkel and filter the sand with something, and as a last resort the metal detector and try to wrap it in a plastic bag, the ring has a great sentimental value as someone pointed out, the value is about 1000$. There are no metaldetector clubs here in Sweden, I guess because you have to get a permit wherever you wanna go with it :(.. The water is not salt water by the way. And again thank you for all tips and help ;);)

Thank you all for quick replies, hmm maybe I'll first give it a try with a snorkel and filter the sand with something, and as a last resort the metal detector and try to wrap it in a plastic bag, the ring has a great sentimental value as someone pointed out, the value is about 1000$. There are no metaldetector clubs here in Sweden, I guess because you have to get a permit wherever you wanna go with it :(.. The water is not salt water by the way. And again thank you for all tips and help ;);)

I was just about to mention that a cheaper way to try and find it first would be to get a strainer, or some sort of mesh, with the holes being smaller than your ring. just start shoveling the sand and you should find it.

I hear its very hard to get a premision to detect in sweden, but have you heard with Guldstrom about get some help or maybee rent a detector. Where in Sweden is this? Good Luck

Hello there! I read that you lost your ring and you are looking for a detector that is waterproof for the coil. The Ace 250 or the Pioneer works really well. You can PM me anytime with questions or concerns or you can call our store for more information.
Thanks,
Kellyco Chick

Hello, I am thinking of getting a metal detector 2 find my wedding ring i lost in a sea in sweden. I know almost where it is in the lake and its only water to my waist line. The bottom of the sea is soft sand about 1-2 inch, then bigger stones, the ring is in the sand layer I believe. Will it be possible to use a metal detector in the water for search? I am thinking of purchasing this at my local shop.

Can i wrap some plastic around it all 2 avoid water ? It says the disc is water proof, does that include the "shaft"?

Any advice would be very helpful!!

HI THERE, WHAT YOU NEED IS A MINELAB EXCALIBUR 800/1000 .THIS IS FOR UNDER WATER USE..WHERE IN SWEDEN ARE YOU FROM..I LIVE IN TRONDHEIM NORWAY..I HAVE ONE OF THESE MACINES

IF there is tidal action on the body of water you could wait for low tide and check the area even without a detector....

When the tide is out you should be able to walk the area without a problem....

Back
Top Bottom