• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Broke my string of silver coins, but got a ring instead

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
I had a nice couple of nice hunts to begin the year, finding 4 silver coins the first trip, 3 on the second trip (including a nice Barber half), and a half of a silver Rosie on the 3rd trip. On my recent outing with Buellride where he got 6 silvers, I was still able to pull up 3 silver dimes.

Unfortunately, this last trip out put an end to the string of silver coins. It was interesting in that I started off the day thinking I was due to find a ring since I hadn't found one in a long time. The Detecting Gods must have been listening because at the end of the day I ended up with a nice fairly chunky silver ring and in addition, part of a broken fancy sterling handle that probably went to a hand mirror. The ring weighed in at over 9 grams, and the fancy was really light at about 2 grams.

The two silvers came out of a permission where the grass roots were so thick I could hardly cut them with my shovel, and with the six or seven inches of rain we've had in the last month or so the ground was still bone dry once you got down about 5 inches. In total for the last 2 trips I also got 29 wheats and one 1896 Indian.

Sorry to hear about all of the miserable weather for you folks in the Midwest and East. Hope it clears up and warms up for you sometime soon so we can see some more posts of successful hunts from your areas. Thanks for looking and GL.

Attachments

• 20220119_091214.jpg
    20220119_091214.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 20220118_191030.jpg
    20220118_191030.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220118_180958.jpg
    20220118_180958.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 172
  • 20220119_083401.jpg
    20220119_083401.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 185
Man, that's a lot of wheats, and a very cool old silver signet ring. I like the sterling handle piece too.

Crazy about the dry soil further down! :(

Nice hunting and great pics :)

Man, that's a lot of wheats, and a very cool old silver signet ring. I like the sterling handle piece too.

Crazy about the dry soil further down! :(

Nice hunting and great pics :)

Thanks GS. I love finding the wheats, at least they tell you you're looking in the right place for the silver. Unfortunately, most of it has been cherry picked by previous detectorists. Wish I could have found the rest of the handle. Very much early 1900's style.

Heck of a wheat harvest there RoS. Congrats on the shiny as well. I'm sure you'll be back on the silver train soon, if you even got off of it. That is an awesome looking ring. I have run across a couple yards with roots like you describe, not fun. My streak ended after the first 3 hunts of the year, the 4th I was lucky to find a couple crusty wheaties and now as you mentioned sitting here looking out and hoping that danged snow would melt. Good luck, Mark

Congrats on the silver finds!

Thanks.

Heck of a wheat harvest there RoS. Congrats on the shiny as well. I'm sure you'll be back on the silver train soon, if you even got off of it. That is an awesome looking ring. I have run across a couple yards with roots like you describe, not fun. My streak ended after the first 3 hunts of the year, the 4th I was lucky to find a couple crusty wheaties and now as you mentioned sitting here looking out and hoping that danged snow would melt. Good luck, Mark

Thank you Mark. Always appreciate your comments. Those roots were almost impenetrable. Gonna try to get back on the train on Friday. I hope you can get out soon!

Congrats on the silver! 20 wheats is my record for one hunt. When you find that many Wheats your almost guaranteed at least a silver or two.

Congrats on the silver! 20 wheats is my record for one hunt. When you find that many Wheats your almost guaranteed at least a silver or two.

Thanks Longbow. You're right - when there's that many wheats coming up, there has to be some silver hiding in there somewhere.

Love the ring and that ornate silver handle. Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Love the ring and that ornate silver handle. Don

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Thanks ecmo. I really liked the handle too. Interesting that it's so light, only 2 grams. Looks like it should be heavier, and I wasn't sure it was actually silver until I was able to clean it up and see the embossed "Sterling".

Gale, as I mentioned earlier....that ring is BEEFY!! Great job on that recovery

Thanks Paul. It's one of the favorite rings I've found. Since it came from the same permission where I found the broken handle, maybe it's the same vintage - I'm guessing 1920's or so.

Back
Top Bottom