Curb Strips in Parking Lots

Blewfur

Has anyone hunted the curb strips in a shopping center parking lot? who do you ask for permissions, if anybody? Store manager, security guard? Just go and take your chances?

I live north of Austin, TX. A lot of the local parks websites state no metal detectors allowed. Some of the other smaller towns allow detecting in parks. The area is growing, so not many abandoned buildings in the area. I'm just trying to think outside the box.

Has anyone hunted the curb strips in a shopping center parking lot? ....

What do you mean by curb-strips in a shopping center parking lot ? Do you mean curb-strips along the public sidewalk ? Or are you referring to the planter-islands ?

If you are referring to the ones along the street/sidewalk, then you don't need anyone's permission, in the first place.

But if you're referring to the planter-island (those decorative planter islands), then ..... that's an interesting question. Because the public is not disallowed there . I mean, duh, go figure, you park there, you put your shopping cart there, etc....

That's why there's a sign (in a plaque embedded in the pavement, or on a post that no one ever reads) that says something like : "Permission to pass revokable by owner", blah blah. I'm somewhat familiar with this, since I own a street sweeper business. And did shopping center accounts for many decades.

And perhaps there's a sign that says what you can't do. Eg.: "No soliciting" and "no loitering". I don't see "no md'ing", did you ? Not sure why anyone would want to detect parking lot planters though, in the first place.

Thanks Tom. I am referring to the grassy areas or planter areas in the parking lots. I am not sure it would even be worth the time or effort.O went to the mall the other day, which is no longer as busy as it was 15-20 years ago and saw the grassy areas in front of the food court and theater and thought maybe it was worth a look.

Thanks Tom. I am referring to the grassy areas or planter areas in the parking lots. I am not sure it would even be worth the time or effort.O went to the mall the other day, which is no longer as busy as it was 15-20 years ago and saw the grassy areas in front of the food court and theater and thought maybe it was worth a look.

Ok, so you were referring to the decorative planter grass islands. I'm sure that there'll be clad there , but .... not sure if it's worth the bother or time.

As for ability to do it, I notice you say you went to the mall the other day. Ok, And you probably walked right by those planter islands, stood on them, etc..... Right ? Ok, question : Did you ask anyone "Can I ?" Did anyone object ? Probably not.

I do not know why md'ing is somehow in a class all-by-itself as despised, harmful, foul, etc.... that it's any different. Ie.: You'd have to try REAL HARD to even get someone to even notice, I bet.

You can certainly walk inside and ask "Can I ?", if you want. But in this litigious day & age that we live in, they will probably just give the easy answer and say "no". Same as if you asked "Hi, can I stand on the planter island and sing the star spangled banner", they would likewise probably say "no". Did they care one bit ? Probably not.

tried that. some zinc pennies, pop tops, bobby pins. This was at a very busy park parking lot. Don't waste your time. Lots of other better places.

tot-lots and volley ball courts.

Back
Top Bottom