1800's Whatsits

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
Hunted a couple bean fields where some mid to late 1800's homesteads used to sit. Got a few items I have been able to identify here and a few I haven't. Part of a bell, a piece of a gas lamp knob (I think), and the comb looking thing is actually a late 1800's "Hot Comb" women would sit on the stove before straightening their hair. I bet that hurt if it touched the scalp! Anyhow, the other 2 items is what I'm curious about. The lever item almost looks like part of an old lever action rifle except I think the arm would round up the other direction to create a finger hole? (Half Dollar in pic for size reference). The other item looks like a tiny valve stem but has threads on the end. A little writing on the top but all I can make out is M&W. Any ideas? Unfortunately the only coins found was a 45 merc. These houses were gone by the early 40's so I'm guessing even that coin was likely dropped by a farmer later.

Attachments

• Whatsit3.jpg
    Whatsit3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 349
  • Whatsit1.jpg
    Whatsit1.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Whatsit2.jpg
    Whatsit2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 351
Half of a pair of scissors perhaps?

That'd be my guess.

That was my initial thought as well but I figured if it was shears or scissors each side would have the blade part and when I did some Googling on antique scissors/shears that seemed to be the case which lead me to lever action from an old rifle. I guess it could be a weird style of hardware from a cabinet possibly.

Attachments

• scissors2.jpg
    scissors2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 231
That was my initial thought as well but I figured if it was shears or scissors each side would have the blade part and when I did some Googling on antique scissors/shears that seemed to be the case which lead me to lever action from an old rifle. I guess it could be a weird style of hardware from a cabinet possibly.
Could even be from something more robust built like tin snips.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

Looks like the latch handle on an old ice box

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_160942977_compress66.jpg
    IMG_20220125_160942977_compress66.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom