• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Four wheat ¢’s

GroundSweeper

Forum Supporter
Went out to a field I’ve found 6 silver Rosie’s at - and a few wheats, trying to eek another silver out of there - has to be more.

Put the Nox in field 2 for a change and put a couple hours in. $3.34 or so cents clad and 4 wheats. Oldest was 1946-S, followed by a ‘51-D and two ‘56-D’s

I don’t find a ton of wheats and 3 of these were one right after the other which was kinda neat. I don’t normally post only wheat cent finds either but heck...

Was super nice being out. Happy hunting out there!

Attachments

• 0847E384-18E6-4755-998C-DDB8336777C8.jpg
    0847E384-18E6-4755-998C-DDB8336777C8.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 305
  • A4EF2379-DBA0-4E02-92DA-28DBA38B2E55.jpg
    A4EF2379-DBA0-4E02-92DA-28DBA38B2E55.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Went out to a field I’ve found 6 silver Rosie’s at - and a few wheats, trying to eek another silver out of there - has to be more...…….

Sure seems that way sometimes. My only silver so far this year came from a public location that I had eyeballed for years. I get out there shortly before sunset after hunting a different property, walk out to spot near the oldest tree, and dig a Barber dime out of my first hole. I knew the location had a lot going for it, so I'm thinking "Buckle up and hang on!" I only had enough time to dig a few more plugs for some memorial pennies and a clad dime, but that's no big deal. I'd be back.

I took advantage of the continued good weather on Saturday and returned for a couple of hours on the approximately 3/4 acre. It's large enough and just trashy enough that it's not going to be hunted out to anybody other than cherry pickers. But, two hours nets a handful of clad and 3 wheat pennies. Makes no sense. At least, it's pretty weird to hit an old silver that fast and easy, a few wheat pennies and no Mercury or Rosie dimes? I'm going to return once more and pick a few spots to go extra slow.

Last edited:
Wow very cool, congrats on the wheats. I did something very similar saturday, went to a park I have pulled three silvers, a ton of clad and a small 14k gold diamond ring but never any wheats. I too decided to use park 2 and pay attention to everything. No silver but a handful of clad and two wheats. I knew there had to be wheats there but had never found any in my previous hunts. Cleaning up afterwards netted on more wheat, so I got three. One was a 1948 D, another really green and toasty and can't remember now what the third one was.
Did pretty good on aluminum screw tops too, them things were ringing up about 22-23 :D

Edit to add: The other wheat turned out to be a 1947 S and the toasted one looks to be 1919 but is very hard to make out so I can't be 100 percent sure.
Also found a small coin about the size of a dime. Just figured out it is a New Orleans Regional Transit Authority streetcar token. I'll try to post a photo later.

Ok got a pic ready, sorry for the crappy photography!

wheats.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go, Jeff! I don't find many wheaties either, so to me, they're fun to uncover. :D That one second from the right has an interesting patina on its reverse. Good finds! :thumbsup:

GS congrats on the Wheaties and just the fact your able to get out is a bonus. A lot of mdr's on the bench till spring. I still love digging Wheaties and tell myself every time I dig one, where there is wheat there is silver. Good luck Mark

Back
Top Bottom