Silver Nuggets?

NickelPlate

Hi All,

My wife and I have found several of these in our yard. They ring well into the 90s VDI on our detectors. They sure look like silver nuggets to us. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

NP

Attachments

• E7A7EEA0-4961-4FE8-AB1B-DC476E9F0E9C.jpg
    E7A7EEA0-4961-4FE8-AB1B-DC476E9F0E9C.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 435
Ha! Sure looks like that too. Oh well you’re probably right. It was fun to think silver while it lasted. 😊

I find a lot of those aluminum blobs at a beach nearby

Melted aluminum, from cans thrown into fires. They sound so good too.

^ ^ this ^ ^

Aluminum nuggets from bonfires or past trash-burn pits.

The reason why they might not *seem* to be aluminum at first, is that when they are molten down into the nuggets, they are so unfamiliar to our normal feel of aluminum. Which is always lightweight things like the thin cans, thin tabs, foil, etc.... We're not used to holding aluminum in "nugget" form, so we don't expect them to be heavier than the usual aluminum we're accustomed to handling.

^ ^ this ^ ^

Aluminum nuggets from bonfires or past trash-burn pits.

The reason why they might not *seem* to be aluminum at first, is that when they are molten down into the nuggets, they are so unfamiliar to our normal feel of aluminum. Which is always lightweight things like the thin cans, thin tabs, foil, etc.... We're not used to holding aluminum in "nugget" form, so we don't expect them to be heavier than the usual aluminum we're accustomed to handling.

That’s a good point. Thanks for the reply.

Well that confirms the mystery, glad you asked. I find them occasionally in yards, and just thought it was old solder blobs from a sloppy plumber working copper pipe with a blowtorch.

Back
Top Bottom