A nice mix of finds from today's hunts

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
Got an invitation from a hunting buddy today to go to the beach and take advantage of the low tide. Hunted a good 5 hours covering both sides of the tide. Found my first ever watch case, or at least a fair portion of the case. It was brass and about 15 inches deep. Kept going down and down and expected junk.
After the tide, we decided to try a local park. It has been worked hard in the past and we really didn't have any expectations. The ground was surprisingly quiet with very little trash and very few targets. Finally I got a strong 33-34 on the NOX. This was really one of the first targets I came across. Dug the plug and out popped the ring. Quite a surprise! It was big enough to wear on my thumb.
The park just wasn't producing much else so we decided to knock on some doors. Had the good fortune to ask at a house with the nicest guy. He said sure, go ahead and search the front yard of his 1905 vintage house, and if we want, we can also search his back yard where the grass had been totally worn down by his dogs. He spent some time chatting with us and when we were digging some of the holes in his back yard he even offered us the use of a shovel if we needed it! I recovered a 1899 Indian in the back yard, and my buddy picked up a couple of old Wheats. We finally got around to the front yard and for me the EMI was awful. Had to turn my sensitivity down to 15 just to be able to hunt. Nonetheless, I was able to find a deep 1907 V Nickel. I've only found 2 other Indians in my past hunting and also only 2 previous V Nickels. Needless to say I was very pleased with these 2 finds. My buddy found several deep early Wheats as well. It was a good day of hunting in three different settings and was much enjoyed. Everyone stay safe. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• Today's hunt.jpg
    Today's hunt.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 445
Nice hunt and good report, RorS! I love when those V nickels and Indians pop up - those coins just scream out that they're from a different era! For the house with the EMI, were you hunting in Multi on the Equinox? If so, I've often found that switching to one of the single frequencies can virtually eliminate the EMI without having to resort to reducing the sensitivity. If your buddy was hunting with a different detector and not experiencing any EMI, you could try switching to a similar frequency to what his machine uses (just make sure to stay a good distance apart to avoid interferring with each other!). Contrary to what some have implied elsewhere, the Equinox (just like any detector) loses noticeable depth when reducing the sensitivity significantly.

Nice hunt and good report, RorS! I love when those V nickels and Indians pop up - those coins just scream out that they're from a different era! For the house with the EMI, were you hunting in Multi on the Equinox? If so, I've often found that switching to one of the single frequencies can virtually eliminate the EMI without having to resort to reducing the sensitivity. If your buddy was hunting with a different detector and not experiencing any EMI, you could try switching to a similar frequency to what his machine uses (just make sure to stay a good distance apart to avoid interferring with each other!). Contrary to what some have implied elsewhere, the Equinox (just like any detector) loses noticeable depth when reducing the sensitivity significantly.

Thanks for the advice 'Tango. My buddy was hunting with an Etrac and not having any EMI problems. He got more goodies because he could hear the deep signals instead of chatter. I'll have to refresh my memory on which frequencies would be the best under these circumstances.

Love them pocket watches!đź‘Ť

Thank you. I tried to find the rest of the "innards", but no luck.

Nice job! Excellent finds

Thanks.

Great job there Sir! IHP and V nickels are a tough find in the PNW....the silver just adds to the booty :cool3:

Thanks Paul. Waiting to see your reports when you get back out there again. I expect the silver numbers to start adding up. Still thinking about Montana?

Nice finds! Those IHPs and V Nicks are great finds from an old generation of coins! Let me know when you want to meet up in Western Montana!

Back
Top Bottom