Best Wheat find yet.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I have a fondness for Wheat Pennies - this one prompted another post.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=282807

This is a 1941 wheat with an odd patina which at first made me think it was a steel wheat. But it looks like it went into the ground in AU condition. But now it has a nick or two but still has an AU look on the reverse.

But it is a 1941 p Wheat. If you look at the reverse carefully you can see the wheat stalk groove are nice and clear indicating little wear.

I found it in a park area that is swamp during the wet months and lots of kids play there. One thought the Wheat was part of dad's coin collection which are known to be raided by their kids for other spending purposes.

So how to clean it. Some have mentioned CLR is good. The obverse side has some crud around Lincoln's head and shoulders.

Any other ideas how to clean this without causing any further damage?

Thanks

Attachments

• 1941wheat (1)small.jpg
    1941wheat (1)small.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 354
  • 1941wheat (2)small.jpg
    1941wheat (2)small.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 325
Nice find! Wheats are my favorite because when I was little I would go through my dads find in his coffee can and he told me those were better than the copper memorials lol.

Must have been brand new when lost. Seems to have some of the original shine to it.
What kind of soil was it in? Sand? Dry climate?

That's a nice find! You're right, that wheat cent boasts some clear detailing. I wouldn't know just how to clean that one, either. You'd hate to ruin the patina or the coin itself, yet it would be nice to get the black off of the obverse. Personally, I'm prone to just doing a little water & perhaps some soap on my coins, but that's just me. Let us know what you decide... it's a good find either way! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom