• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Garrett Z-lynk system?

Bajanick

Elite Member
I am considering purchasing one for my MXT and M6 using Rat phones.

Do they work just as advertised?

From what I have seen, The system seems to work great.

Anyone have first hand experience?

:?:

I've been using them since they have come out. Gives you complete freedom. Wouldn't hunt without them. I have the stand alone unit for my ACE and the built in unit on my MAX, both perform great.

Well, off the recommendations of the great folks on FMDF, I've ditched my BT set-up and ordered the Z-lynk for my favorite wired cans. You all better not be wrong!!! :mad::laughing:

Early ones had some issues (they've gone through a few changes). New ones work great and I love it!

They are incredible with an amazingly fast response time. Honestly cant really tell the difference between wired and wireless with these as far as how fast it beeps. Not being "connected" to the detector is sweet too!

Thanks for the replies. I will be ordering it (Z-lynk, not headphones) soon.

I have an old cheap set of wireless headphones from radio shack, They actually work with any 1/4 jack but they are small, unconfortable and the earpads have deteriorated.

Thanks.

Bought mine shortly after they came out no issues at all and single charge lasts several hunts

So far, so good! Got the Z-Lynk today and it seems to be a nice set-up so far. Only a couple hours on it yet. Unfortunately my super comfy and light Philips cans are TOO light. I intended to put the WR-1 on the top of the headphone band but its weight combined with my apparently small skull, tosses the phones forward when I cut a plug...Time do a little customization to the headband and hopefully get them to tighten up enough.

Thanks and HH!

love my z-link setup. not getting tangled up and so much easier to get down and dig those targets without being connected to the machine. honestly i cannot tell the difference between the z-link and being directly plugged into the machine as far as lag and sound quality, use mine on my mxt mainly.the bad is you gotta dig a bunch of clad to pay for it lol.

love my z-link setup. not getting tangled up and so much easier to get down and dig those targets without being connected to the machine. honestly i cannot tell the difference between the z-link and being directly plugged into the machine as far as lag and sound quality, use mine on my mxt mainly.the bad is you gotta dig a bunch of clad to pay for it lol.

I was using an aptX bluetooth setup that worked pretty well on the M6 but seemed laggy with the MX Sport. I used it on the MXT for about 5 minutes and it was worse than on the MX I think. Now that I ran a few hours with the Z-Lynk today and swapped back and forth a little between BT, Z-Lynk and wired, I could definitely hear the lag in the BT but didn't notice any with the Garrett. :hi5:

This is a great thread. I have been vacillating on buying the ZLink system since it came out. Problem is, it seemed like the earlier reviews were more or less split between failures and likes, many of the likes being reported by Garrett "affiliates." My overall take was that system simply didn't appear reliable. The failures occurred mostly with the transmitter.

After reading this thread however, it sounds like the Z Link has gone through a number of iterations to fix the problems. Does anyone know what steps were taken to get to this point?

Sounds promising finally!

Thanks, Mike

Well I received the system the other day.
I ordered the universal system, not the headphones.

There seems to be a problem with the volume. Rat phones, stock Whites (cheapies) and some labtecs, the volume is very low, :( Yes, the headphones are adjusted all the way and I turned up the control on the receiver, still very low volume.

I found a few posts stating that you must use 8 or 16 ohm speakers, dont know what mine are. I am going to try to get a set of 8 ohm but I am very disappointed, The Rat phones sound awesome, and I would hate to not be able to use them.

Another thing is the transmitter will not turn off, it keeps blinking. sometimes fast and sometimes slow. :?: I ended up just letting it auto turn off after 30 minutes :roll:

If I can find a set with 8 ohms that have good volume I will keep it, if not I will have to send the system back.

Well I received the system the other day.
I ordered the universal system, not the headphones.

There seems to be a problem with the volume. Rat phones, stock Whites (cheapies) and some labtecs, the volume is very low, :( Yes, the headphones are adjusted all the way and I turned up the control on the receiver, still very low volume.

I found a few posts stating that you must use 8 or 16 ohm speakers, dont know what mine are. I am going to try to get a set of 8 ohm but I am very disappointed, The Rat phones sound awesome, and I would hate to not be able to use them.

Another thing is the transmitter will not turn off, it keeps blinking. sometimes fast and sometimes slow. :?: I ended up just letting it auto turn off after 30 minutes :roll:

If I can find a set with 8 ohms that have good volume I will keep it, if not I will have to send the system back.

The TX should turn off with a long press of the power button (2 seconds or so). The Treasure wise and Philips cans I have are both loud, but my Gray Ghost Deep Woods are quiet with the Z-Lynk all the way up. They're loud enough they work fine, buy there isn't any room for adjustment. The Deep Woods don't have a volume control and I don't know what resistance they are. I would assume the ones we're noticing are quiet are probably 16 Ohm speakers. Hope you get it straightened out. I considered getting a cheap headphone amplifier and throwing it in line between the RX and cans. Haven't looked into it yet though.

Yes, I held the button for several seconds, then for more and for less. Same thing.
I was able to find two headphones that are 8 ohms, Treasure wise, (the ones Oldsjunkie posted) and a $27 set of garretts. Both are advertised as 8 Ohms. I just hate having to give up my good phones and buy a cheap set just to have wireless :furious:

Garrett should have stated that the system does not work with all headphones. :mad:

Yes, I held the button for several seconds, then for more and for less. Same thing.
I was able to find two headphones that are 8 ohms, Treasure wise, (the ones Oldsjunkie posted) and a $27 set of garretts. Both are advertised as 8 Ohms. I just hate having to give up my good phones and buy a cheap set just to have wireless :furious:

Garrett should have stated that the system does not work with all headphones. :mad:

I'm with ya. Definitely not giving up my Gray Ghosts when I'm putting 5 or 6 hours in the woods. Sounds like you got a bad set if it won't shut off. Luckily mine don't have that issue. I hate to have to charge ANOTHER battery, but as much as I like the rest of the set up and my Ghosts, I'm going to go ahead and try a headphone amp even though I have to adapt down to 1/8th plugs...:( Hope you get it straightened out Bajanick.

I'm with ya. Definitely not giving up my Gray Ghosts when I'm putting 5 or 6 hours in the woods. Sounds like you got a bad set if it won't shut off. Luckily mine don't have that issue. I hate to have to charge ANOTHER battery, but as much as I like the rest of the set up and my Ghosts, I'm going to go ahead and try a headphone amp even though I have to adapt down to 1/8th plugs...:( Hope you get it straightened out Bajanick.

You have the low volume problem on your grey ghosts as well?

You have the low volume problem on your grey ghosts as well?

Yeah, I have the Deep Woods version so no volume on the cans. Have the Z-Lynk cranked and it's plenty loud to use, but if I lose any hearing or the creek gets too loud, I'd like to have a little room for adjustment.

I talked with Garrett and they wanted the Serial number of the transmitter, so i gave them that, they are sending me a new transmitter.

I am not convinced thats going to solve the problem though, I will have to wait and see.

I almost want to go ahead and purchase the $35, 8 Ohm headphones and give them a try while waiting for the new transmitter to arrive.

I wonder if they know that certain serial numbers are defective or something?

:?:

Back
Top Bottom