New detector could use some advice

If you have an accessible park nearby, I would at least divide your time with it, even if what you find will be mostly modern coins. Park 1 should work fine. Just noise cancel, ground balance and go. You'll quickly get a feel for what works.

Just keep hunting

Here in PA in my ground, a penny can ring 20-24, a dime 25-26, A quarter a solid 30, and a nickel a solid 12. I am using the Nox 600 just like you. You need to get to a place where you can find some coins even if they are clads. I learned myself and you will too but you must keep hunting and I promise it will get better. I find a lot of clads at sports stadiums but not on the fields.
Good luck and HH
Bubbaron NOX 600, AT PRO, AT PRO CARROT PIN POINTER

Well this is my first year detecting so I'm definitely learning every time I go out. But still haven't found anything worth showing. Using an eq600 in a trash infested old home site, I just get so many signals I don't know what to dig!!! The only 31 I got was a random top to a jar I believe. I get tons of things hitting 14-19...so much chatter I can't believe all the junk here. I guess I should try a park until I get better???

0326181428.jpg

Hi Fool, I have a nox 600 and am new this year too. I think i had the same problem. Try turning down the sensitivity, i mean way down. I am running mine at 15/16 sensitivity, when i was getting way too much sound from my machine. I went from not being able to take 2 steps to being able to id pretty much everything i was hearing, and finding everything else that my old machine missed. Also I just left it in park 1 mode.

you really have to spend the time on a 600 or 800

you really have to spend the time learning the machine. Even guys with lots of experience have to relearn a lot of things. Minelab guys and the real pros at metal detecting have an edge over all the other guys.

I have more than a few years metal detecting, and last 3 with AT Pro.

The 800 gave me fits for two weeks being so chatty. First thing to do is learn coil control, ground balance, noise cancel and sensitivity. These need to be set every time you start out or change soil locations.

I practiced this and now the 800 settles down nicely and acts like I want it to. It is a hot machine and can pick out all the different metals even an alloyed targets. hunt in park or field depending on where you are and get better at detecting.

get Clive James Clylnick's book The minelab Equinox: from beginner to advance and read and study it over and over til you master what he is showing you. It is about the only book out there on the 600 and 800 and he knows what he is talking about.

The standard used to be give a new machine about 100 hours of use but if you're new to detecting and the Equinox is a bit of a sophisticated machine it may take a little longer.

Forums and videos are your friends.

When in first started detecting I could not understand what the detector was telling me. I dug aluminum and other junk until I got tired of digging. You better believe that I got frustrated and a couple of times I was looking for a good solid tree to wrap the detector around.

But I kept trying and slowly the light at the end of the tunnel actually appeared and the more I used the machine the better I did with it

Detecting is a great hobby. Give yourself time to learn the machine and you will have a ball.

disc out everything except 12,13, 23-38. Iron bias 1, recovery 3, park/field 2, sens 20, and whatever tone preference. dig anything that beeps and enjoy yourself.

+1 This is the PERFECT way to start out. You will find some good stuff and be encouraged.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom