• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Excal tones used for EDM music nowadays? :)

For the most part yea I reckon re-branded techno :) Guess the name just sounds more modern than techno so the new generations will accept it. :grin:

I see, just like jalapeño is re named chipotle...

Techno was born here, so that's what I'll always call it...

<°)))>{

What is EDM music?

Same as techno?

<°)))>{

Electronic Dance Music. Basically "techno" wasn't broad enough since it has become a genre within EDM now. Although ironically, EDM encompasses things - like ambient music - that can't be danced to because there is no beat... unless you're on hallucinogens or something synthetic.

Techno was born here, so that's what I'll always call it...

I'm having a hard time buying that. Do you mean when it came to the states from overseas?...or like it originated in Michigan?

Edit: okay, I see. I guess it depends on how one defines "techno", whether that be wiki or what. What I'm trying to define it as is the earliest known electronic music which could consist of just synthetic sounds and samples played in loops. Groups like Kraftwerk and Front242 come to mind.

While it doesn't sound much like what we know today, this is Kraftwerk from the 70's:

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time buying that. Do you mean when it came to the states from overseas?...or like it originated in Michigan?

Edit: okay, I see. I guess it depends on how one defines "techno", whether that be wiki or what. What I'm trying to define it as is the earliest known electronic music which could consist of just synthetic sounds and samples played in loops.

At least around here.. They all like to say "born in Detrot"..

I also thought it was sort of the origin of this logo...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-10-20-19-02.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-20-19-02.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 77
At least around here.. They all like to say "born in Detrot"..

I also thought it was sort of the origin of this logo...

<°)))>{

Okay, from this page you're right. They redefined "techno" into a sub-genre within EDM now, and Detroit could very well have been it's birthplace.

https://mn2s.com/news/features/made-in-detroit-history-techno/

Back when I DJ'd in clubs in the 90's, still using actual records and turntables, there were only like maybe 10 sub-genres within the main "techno" description. Like Jungle, Drum and Bass, Progressive, Breaks, House, and Hardcore all fell under the "Techno" header then. Granted, it's has got more complex and as time has moved on, more broad and repetitive too. There's only a certain limited amount I can even stand to listen to anymore. :no:

For me, American and most techno, wasn't heavy enough..

Although, I still have some Ministry, Lords of Acid, and Front 242, in my collection.. Still listen to Ministry...

I guess I was more industrial at that time...

<°)))>{

For me, American and most techno, wasn't heavy enough..

Although, I still have some Ministry, Lords of Acid, and Front 242, in my collection.. Still listen to Ministry...

I guess I was more industrial at that time...

<°)))>{

Me too, NIN is still my favorite...but industrial with the raw machine sounds is what does it for me. Ministry was way before their time, or basically Al Jourgensen was. I personally liked electro-breaks but it never caught on well, being a little too hard and evil sounding...but I could still sneak it in every so often.

Interesting article...

Funny how clear and easy it makes my standpoint, and at the same time, says I've sort of been wrong, lumping all electronica as forms of Techno...

<°)))>{

That's the thing with labeling something "techno", and has been the problem all along by everyone including those on the inside and out. It doesn't have any set parameters, definitions or restrictions on it. It seemed in the early days anything would get labeled "techno" if it didn't fit right into any other genre. And with just as basic as it started out, maybe only 2 or 3 slided in and out levels on a mixer, it was really hard to distingush it from just random noises.

Even today all Ambient music is just random noise with no beat, but is considered music within EDM now, which used to be classified as "techno". Go figure.... Two people discussing "techno" or "EDM" have to start from the same agreed baseline before even discussing what exactly is "techno" or "EDM". It can be very confusing.

What's worse is in the old days going into a record store and asking them if they have that song that goes, "beep, bloop, bop, thunk, chank, thud" and them looking at you stupid because you don't know the artist or the name of the song because there were no lyrics! Now that's confusing...

Last edited:
I listen to the widest range of bull kp...lol

I've been digging Danny Brown, Run the Jewels, and stuff like this.. (Rap, over techno?)

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=zack dela rocha 2017&sm=1

<°)))>{

Ahhh, Zach de la Rocha, another favorite but ego got to big and he quit Rage. I almost got their name tattooed, but thought against it because I figured something would happen to them. Think their first album is still the best. Tom Morello is great too, much talent but I don't know about this new group they formed after Chris Cornell, really weird with Cypress Hill...

I'm going to have to listen to that stuff asap...

Just don't have a connection right now for big data..

I don't know what ambient is, but if its a bunch of randomness, then 100 albums is easy :D

Its gotta have either rhythm or melody, at least for me..

When I listen to early Metallica, my neighbors do to.. :D

<°)))>{

Ahhh, Zach de la Rocha, another favorite but ego got to big and he quit Rage.

I never knew what happened to Rage, but I like them too.. I think the accompanying music (techno lol) is at least as good as Zach's addition to that track Digging for windows...

<°)))>{

I'm going to have to listen to that stuff asap...

Just don't have a connection right now for big data..

I don't know what ambient is, but if its a bunch of randomness, then 100 albums is easy :D

Its gotta have either rhythm or melody, at least for me..

When I listen to early Metallica, my neighbors do to.. :D

<°)))>{

Ambient is basically different random noises faded in and out, more like a whole experience and not really just 1 song. Artists like that, you pretty much have to listen to the whole album because the "songs" overlap from one right into the next. More of a submersion type music, and to me wasteful. 100 albums easy. What one consideres junk, another considers art... like Pink Floyd with no beat or lyrics, LOL! You can tell it took some talent to create it, but it really has no beginning or ending.

Ambient is basically different random noises faded in and out, more like a whole experience and not really just 1 song. Artists like that, you pretty much have to listen to the whole album because the "songs" overlap from one right into the next. More of a submersion type music, and to me wasteful. 100 albums easy. What one consideres junk, another considers art...

I get that, and put that way, agree, more like a soundtrack in that respect (whole greater than the sum)....

I might be ADD about music...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom