Minelab X-Terra 705?

fosgate3

I've been using a Garrett Ace 400 for a couple of years now and it's been fun but I think I am ready to upgrade to something better. I've considered the Garrett AT Pro but I'm not sure if will give me much more than the ability to detect in salt water (I seem to recall that being one of its features). I saw the Minelab X-Terra 705 and wondered how it would compare to what I have now and if anyone has used one. Amazon has it for the top of what I am looking to spend on one. I don't really know how each brand and their models stack up against each other. Thanks in advance!:grin:

IMO, the Xterra 705 is the best kept secret in detectors. It has been seriously underrated, mostly by users that never hang on to it long enough to really learn all that it can do. Considering that it is/was the first all digital detector on the market, and was at least half of the foundation of the now legendary CTX3030, I would say that without doubt it is a giant step up from your Garrett.

Check out Minelab's website, and download Randy Horton's FREE e-book "Understanding Your X-Terra" if you'd like to get an idea of it's flexibility and capability.
(which reminds me.....I need to give Randy a call today)

I have owned a few of the X-terra machines. Actually, every model. 305, 505, 70, 705. Anyway, great machines. I really liked the 70 the best. Nothing wrong with the 705, mind you. I liked the flexibility of changing the coil , change the frequency. The coils were a little pricey though. The prices on the used X-terra machines have really dropped in the last few years. This is good for those starting this great hobby.
My biggest problem with Minelab is that they don't support their older models very long. I have owned a couple of White's detectors and recently acquired an MX Sport. White's customer service is second to none and they support their older machines still today. They are made in the USA and they just build a good, long lasting product.
If you can get a 705 for a good price, I say do it but look around in the classifieds on the major Metal Detecting forums. There are a lot of great deals to be had. It's your money, spend it wisely.:yes:
P.S. Longhair, the member that posted above me is the 705 guru. If you have any detailed questions about the 705, look up his older posts or ask him a question. He really understands the language of the 705.:D

Thank you both for the input...it gets me excited thinking about the prospects of upgrading. I guess my only fear when it comes to upgrading it spending a good bit of money for something that performs no different than what I have; however, from what I am reading, it sounds like that will not be the case. In addition to the 705, I am also considering the Fisher F75 and perhaps something by Whites in the same price range (MX series?).

Incidentally (and just to comment on what I have), my Garrett has been fun to use and I've been surprised at the depths I've been able to find things using it. I have a couple of NEL coils for it but I can't say that I have noticed any remarkable difference with using them. I end up using the stock 9x12 DD coil and a Garrett 4" sniper coil the most.

I owned the 705 for 4 months. Put probably 30 hours on it. Upgraded to the AT Pro and it was a huge upgrade!

I liked the 705. I read Randy Hortons free book, read the hints and tips and had some great trips with it. Then a part of the coil ear broke for no reason and I returned it.

Got the at pro as a replacement and I'll never go back. It finds way more than the Xterra did. There's a garbage park I trained at with both machines. Xterra had 3 hours there and recovered 5 cents and tons of trash. Hit all the exact same places at garbage park with at pro and had over a buck in clad in 20 minutes, no joke.

So, that's my experience!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Conversely, I had an AT Pro for a short while, and I couldn't get rid of that squawk box fast enough. I was hoping to find a land and water machine that was acceptable, but the audio was awful to the point of irritating!

As for experiences...
I have hunted directly behind AT Pro users with my 705 & 3kHz coil, and not too surprisingly found a lot that they missed including silver.

In all fairness, it's often not the machine, but rather the operator.

Regardless of the machine you choose, you will have to put the time in to be successful. Anyone that says they learned a machine in less than 100 hours is only fooling themselves.

Have a few years and many hours on both,still have both.. I’ll give my two cents.

At pro is probably the best jewlery machine made.That thing will find gold like no other for some reason.Pretty good on coins too,not a depth demon but neither is the 705.Thing about the at pro is its idiot proof,you could hand that thing to anyone and believe me,they’re gonna find good stuff.Which is a big plus,who wants a big learning curve.

Now the 705.way more tailored than the at pro..Backlight,volume control,noise cancel,prospect mode,threshold,1,2,3 or 28 tones,changes frequency with coil change,well balanced and a pistol grip..those are just a few advantages the at pro doesn’t have.The 705 has very nice tones,and is a great machine,but the at pro is also a great machine.

I’d say between the 2 it comes down to features the user wants and don’t want.In my opinion one won’t find something the other wouldn’t,or couldn’t

.I prefer a 15 kHz machine like the at pro,it hits just as hard and accurate ID on gold and silver.

Not so with the 705,with a 7.5 kHz coil it hits and will ID coins great,but not nickels or gold.ID is very jumpy on nickels and gold.Put a 18 kHz coil on the 705 and it’s a nickel and gold jewlery slayer,but silver coins suffer in visual ID department and in general for even finding them.

Just my 2 cents,if you want a coin and jewlery machine with no backlight or other features of the 705,get the at pro it’s hard to beat.

If you don’t mind swapping coils and are after specific targets like gold or silver,but not both at the same time,get the 705.Not that the medium frequency or high frequency coils won’t find both gold and silver,they just don’t excell at both with one coil,,,..the at pro does

I’d hate to give up either one,both are good.Not so sure I could decide between those two machines,,good luck tho

I own 9 machines including 3 ATPs and an xTerra 705. I like the 705 but I primarily use the ATPs, especially the 2 with the 5x8 coils. The differences are this: the705 is slightly lighter, it’s backlit ( but not a great backlight). The beach mode is really no different than using the ATP at the beach. I find the ATPs easier to use and learn and might go slightly deeper.

If you want a 705, mine is for sale!

I used the 705 for 2 years. It is an amazing machine!
First find a unit that includes a DD coil, ideally the 10.5" coil.
That will make that machine a lot better.

Now swing til your arms fall off. Get used to what its telling you.
Once you learn it, you will think twice about upgrading.

Very under rated machine, all technique and learning its language.

Get one dont turn back

DD

I used the xterra70 for 6.5 years before upgrading to the ctx. I have no experience with the ace, but the xterra is definitely a great machine. It's target response is super quick, so it performs really well in areas where there are many targets. In the 6 or so years I've had it, I've paid it off multiple times and have found many great things with it, including deep coins. At one point, I was considering of buying an AT Pro because I like the fact that it is waterproof (and the xterra isn't, although you can get an environmental cover for the control box), but I decided to jump to the CTX.

Also, consider checking out this useful guide on the xterra70:

http://www.minelab.com/__files/f/43350/Understanding your X-TERRA Letter size.pdf

If I could afford to own more than one detector, a 705 would definitely be one of them. I did find jewelry with mine using the 7.5 DD coil. A lot does come down to how well you understand the machine along with what type of soil that you hunt in. I can't help but wonder if this new Equinox will mean the end of the X-terra series. Time will tell.:D

If I could afford to own more than one detector, a 705 would definitely be one of them. I did find jewelry with mine using the 7.5 DD coil. A lot does come down to how well you understand the machine along with what type of soil that you hunt in. I can't help but wonder if this new Equinox will mean the end of the X-terra series. Time will tell.:D

I can’t wait to see what the new Minelab equinox will do,,but I don’t think I’d get rid of my 705,just too good of a machine.

Follow up on my original comment: I was suspicious that the stock 705 coil was just no good compared to the AT Pro, but didn't stick with it long enough to test the theory as upgrading the coil was pricey, and the unit was disappointing without it.

Just sharing to broaden the OPs experience exposure.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Conversely, I had an AT Pro for a short while, and I couldn't get rid of that squawk box fast enough. I was hoping to find a land and water machine that was acceptable, but the audio was awful to the point of irritating!

As for experiences...
I have hunted directly behind AT Pro users with my 705 & 3kHz coil, and not too surprisingly found a lot that they missed including silver.

In all fairness, it's often not the machine, but rather the operator.

Regardless of the machine you choose, you will have to put the time in to be successful. Anyone that says they learned a machine in less than 100 hours is only fooling themselves.

What Longhair says. He's the king of Xterra's. I haven't owned the ATPro but have hunted along side experienced ATPro users and there really is no comparison. Granted, like most metal detectors, it takes time to learn the ins and outs, but when you do, the Xterra 705 is a winner. Take the time and you'll feel the same.

I'll move up one of these days, but I'll always keep my 705.

I don't consider myself to be anything more than a proficient user, but here's the thing.....

The 705 is a threshold based machine with so many search modes and features to assist someone who takes the time to explore them, that if what you're doing isn't working TRY SOMETHING ELSE! Change frequencies, play with Prospecting Mode, Offset Tracking, try a different coil size or configuration (there are 12 authorized coils available), etc.....

It is rare that I find a site where I can't effectively hunt with a 705, and when that occasion arises the only thing that will work is something like an FBS/FBS II multi-frequency machine.

I'll never sell my 705....it's that good! If the new Equinox pans out (as I'm pretty sure it will) my Explorer SE may find a new home, but I may keep it too for what it brings to the table.

IMO, the Xterra 705 is the best kept secret in detectors. It has been seriously underrated, mostly by users that never hang on to it long enough to really learn all that it can do. Considering that it is/was the first all digital detector on the market, and was at least half of the foundation of the now legendary CTX3030

Great info here from a guy who has been using a Minelab X-Terra 705 for while now. He knows his stuff.

Now is a great time to pick one up to to play with. We just marked them down to $499 on our website.

I upgraded from the Ace 250 to the x Terra 705 and love it. I especially love it in trashy areas with the small 3khz coil. I like its lightness and ease of swinging as well. I may spring for a Deus or something else one day to see if the extra money is worth it, but I’m very happy with the 705. I couldn’t say the same thing bout the Ace 250.

705 is a great machine, light, fast and you can pick through the trash pretty well with it. Like all minelabs, it takes some getting used to but it will teach you how it wants to be swung. Get used to it and it's a great mid price detector.

I was all set to upgrade from the 505 to the 705 until the whole Equinox thing came up. I think I'd like to see real reviews of it before I make a decision. The lower prices really make it hard to wait tho, the Xterra line up is hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom