• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Opinions and Advice

adirondak5

Hi all . I'm new here , been lurking for a while and just joined a few days ago . I am still reading and studying up on detecting and looking over detectors and gear . I plan to detect on beaches , dry sand and wet sand , and inland , old homesteads , farms , etc . From what I am learning I am leaning towards either a Minelab Excaliber II for the wet sand/surf line and a second detector for dry sand/inland of which I have not really decided on as yet , or a Minelab CTX 3030 for wet sand/surf line and inland . I can see an advantage in having 2 detectors and I can also see an advantage in having just one detector that will do it all . I do realize the CTX could be over welming but I am kind of a tech person , self taught CAD/CAM CNC operation at 57 so I think I'm capable of learning the tech aspects of a high end detector . I haven't made my mind up yet on anything , I am just sharing my thinking here and asking if my thinking is sound , or if I am missing something. Any advice or opinions ? I am in no rush , I have plenty of time to research . Thanks in advance for any help you could give .

I was in the same boat of maybe buying a good dual purpose rig vs two dedicated machines. Then news of the Minelab Equinox came out and others have talked about new offerings on the horizon from a few other companies too. If you are not in a rush I would wait and see what the next few months bring as far as new tech and reviews.

I agree with wloch248. It's looking like the Equinox checks an awful lot of boxes for you in a mid range price. Another huge advantage is that it's light. If you can hold off, you might just get most or everything you want at an awesome price. Rumors are it will start getting into peoples hands around Christmas and the dead honest reviews will come hard and fast.

If it's all that's promised, it will be a must have.

Good luck whichever way you go and happy hunting.

I was in the same boat of maybe buying a good dual purpose rig vs two dedicated machines. Then news of the Minelab Equinox came out and others have talked about new offerings on the horizon from a few other companies too. If you are not in a rush I would wait and see what the next few months bring as far as new tech and reviews.

I agree with wloch248. It's looking like the Equinox checks an awful lot of boxes for you in a mid range price. Another huge advantage is that it's light. If you can hold off, you might just get most or everything you want at an awesome price. Rumors are it will start getting into peoples hands around Christmas and the dead honest reviews will come hard and fast.

If it's all that's promised, it will be a must have.

Good luck whichever way you go and happy hunting.

Thank you both for the responses . I did see the news on the Equinox and it does look very interesting , it also falls in with my time frame . I agree it does seem to fit with what I am looking for if its all its made up to be . Thanks again for the good advice :D

Minelab equinox

Waiting to see this machine perform and will sell the five machines i own if it turns out a winner.I will be calling Dennis at METALDETECTORS.COM for a good deal which he always provides. Maybe a new detctor will get me outa the slump i'm in

Hi all . I'm new here , been lurking for a while and just joined a few days ago . I am still reading and studying up on detecting and looking over detectors and gear . I plan to detect on beaches , dry sand and wet sand , and inland , old homesteads , farms , etc . From what I am learning I am leaning towards either a Minelab Excaliber II for the wet sand/surf line and a second detector for dry sand/inland of which I have not really decided on as yet , or a Minelab CTX 3030 for wet sand/surf line and inland . I can see an advantage in having 2 detectors and I can also see an advantage in having just one detector that will do it all . I do realize the CTX could be over welming but I am kind of a tech person , self taught CAD/CAM CNC operation at 57 so I think I'm capable of learning the tech aspects of a high end detector . I haven't made my mind up yet on anything , I am just sharing my thinking here and asking if my thinking is sound , or if I am missing something. Any advice or opinions ? I am in no rush , I have plenty of time to research . Thanks in advance for any help you could give .

If you are hunting salt water beaches or in areas with highly mineralized soil, definately want to make sure you pick up a Multi-frequency machine. Here is a list of available MF-detectors... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

As far as the CTX being complicated, that is kind of a misnomer. The machine has preset modes that enable you to simply turn-on and go! If you want to get techy, sure, there are a plethora of customizable settings but they are intuitively designed and can be learned pretty quick ... especially if you pick up a CTX book by Andy Sabisch or Gary Drayton.

My 6 year old uses my CTX as do my 80 year old relatives.

This is an Audio Primary sport...Certain tones and sounds are more appealing to different people, therefore, you should watch a lot of Youtube vids and listen to see if a particular rig makes the most sense to YOUR ears...

I have two machines, one for water and one for dirt work..they are from separate MFGs...Both have nice crisp pings, proportional audio, a pleasure to run ...Nothing is so frustrating to listen to something that doesnt make sense to your brain...You gotta spend some time to determine how your ears interface with your CPU and which rig will allow you to perform comfortably and capably...

We all have a certain amount of hearing degradation, so its super important to use what we have to its utmost, to fully enjoy this Sport...watch vids, close your eyes and listen...

... I do realize the CTX could be over welming but I am kind of a tech person , self taught CAD/CAM CNC operation at 57 so I think I'm capable of learning the tech aspects of a high end detector... .

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.

IMO the CTX is not hard to learn at all; it does take some time to learn what all the bells and whistles are for but there's nothing difficult about it. I got mine a few months ago and now feel pretty confident that I can find whatever is there to be found with the thing, in just about any setting. It's very user friendly IMO after using two entry level Fisher machines, one old Tesoro, and dabbling with a Garrett Ace 250. I'd take the CTX any day over all, even my beloved old simple as pie to use F2. The only drawback IMO to the CTX is the weight. It took me a while to get built up but I'm used to the weight now, some days though it would be nice if it was lighter.

Waiting to see this machine perform and will sell the five machines i own if it turns out a winner.I will be calling Dennis at METALDETECTORS.COM for a good deal which he always provides. Maybe a new detctor will get me outa the slump i'm in

I agree dirtchirp , I'd like to see real world usage and performance first .

If you are hunting salt water beaches or in areas with highly mineralized soil, definately want to make sure you pick up a Multi-frequency machine. Here is a list of available MF-detectors... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=248905

As far as the CTX being complicated, that is kind of a misnomer. The machine has preset modes that enable you to simply turn-on and go! If you want to get techy, sure, there are a plethora of customizable settings but they are intuitively designed and can be learned pretty quick ... especially if you pick up a CTX book by Andy Sabisch or Gary Drayton.

My 6 year old uses my CTX as do my 80 year old relatives.

Thanks David , good advice . Thanks for the tip on multifrequency machines and the link . On the CTX3030 I've seen some say its easy , some say its confusing , with presets it should be on the easy side to start with . Already bookmarked a link for the CTX Handbook by Andy Sabisch .

This is an Audio Primary sport...Certain tones and sounds are more appealing to different people, therefore, you should watch a lot of Youtube vids and listen to see if a particular rig makes the most sense to YOUR ears...

I have two machines, one for water and one for dirt work..they are from separate MFGs...Both have nice crisp pings, proportional audio, a pleasure to run ...Nothing is so frustrating to listen to something that doesnt make sense to your brain...You gotta spend some time to determine how your ears interface with your CPU and which rig will allow you to perform comfortably and capably...

We all have a certain amount of hearing degradation, so its super important to use what we have to its utmost, to fully enjoy this Sport...watch vids, close your eyes and listen...

Thanks Mud-puppy , funny you mention tone , I have been doing just that the last few days , lots of youtube listening to different machines and the sounds they make , there are a few that are clearly my preference just on tone alone . Lots to think about .

Hi and welcome from Oklahoma.

IMO the CTX is not hard to learn at all; it does take some time to learn what all the bells and whistles are for but there's nothing difficult about it. I got mine a few months ago and now feel pretty confident that I can find whatever is there to be found with the thing, in just about any setting. It's very user friendly IMO after using two entry level Fisher machines, one old Tesoro, and dabbling with a Garrett Ace 250. I'd take the CTX any day over all, even my beloved old simple as pie to use F2. The only drawback IMO to the CTX is the weight. It took me a while to get built up but I'm used to the weight now, some days though it would be nice if it was lighter.

Thanks BBsGal , good info to know . The CTX is still at the top on my list .

If I were you, I'd get a tesoro compadre just to play around with and get the hang of detecting while you're ( or should I say we're, because I'm on the list for one) waiting for the equinox to come out. Then buy one of those. The compadre is cheap and effective and most of all fun.

I've had a few detectors buy I love my CTX. Unless the Equinox replaces the FBS line which I highly doubt, then I still stick with it until the end. Very Very good machine and all the hype about FBS is warranted. Coming from other machines FBS takes some getting use to but once you get it, you don't want to use anything else

I've no doubt the Equinox will be a great machine but time will tell if the Multi IQ is as good as the FBS units at TID with depth.

If I were you, I'd get a tesoro compadre just to play around with and get the hang of detecting while you're ( or should I say we're, because I'm on the list for one) waiting for the equinox to come out. Then buy one of those. The compadre is cheap and effective and most of all fun.

Thanks for the response NCtoad . I have been thinking something along those lines as well , still doing research but might grab a lower priced unit in the mean time . I'm more sold on the CTX than the Equinox right now but am willing to wait and see what the reports are on the Equinox are once it hits the real world .

I've had a few detectors buy I love my CTX. Unless the Equinox replaces the FBS line which I highly doubt, then I still stick with it until the end. Very Very good machine and all the hype about FBS is warranted. Coming from other machines FBS takes some getting use to but once you get it, you don't want to use anything else

I've no doubt the Equinox will be a great machine but time will tell if the Multi IQ is as good as the FBS units at TID with depth.

Thanks Dflan . My thoughts are pretty much the same as far as will the Equinox be as good as the CTX , I'll wait it out and see what actual users have to say about it .

Thanks Dflan . My thoughts are pretty much the same as far as will the Equinox be as good as the CTX , I'll wait it out and see what actual users have to say about it .

CTX has optional coils too. If you're at an expansive beach or wide open field, you don't want to be stuck with a wee-little 11" coil. Equinox will be out in a few months, then a few more months of real feed back, then.... I guess if you are in the snow belt, then you have time, but if you live some place warm, you just wasted a year of "watching" when you could have been enjoying your hobby. -Just my $0.02

CTX has optional coils too. If you're at an expansive beach or wide open field, you don't want to be stuck with a wee-little 11" coil. Equinox will be out in a few months, then a few more months of real feed back, then.... I guess if you are in the snow belt, then you have time, but if you live some place warm, you just wasted a year of "watching" when you could have been enjoying your hobby. -Just my $0.02

Yes , there are beaches here locally where you could go for quite a few miles so a bigger coil would surely be advantageous. It is or can be quite nasty/cold / windy / snowy here in the winter , but there are days here and there where you could be out and about . For me at this point I need to research and am researching and reading quite a bit . It all boils down to comfort zone , when I'm ready to pick up (purchase) a detector I'll know . :grin:

Across the Sound here in CT, I hunt 12 months of the year...on the beaches with a $300 Explorer and a $100 scoop...and when I take that Explorer inland and dirt dig, I leave the scoop home and bring the $100 pinpointer and $10 shovel instead. Trust me, that's all that's required for getting you started...and you can probably pay it all off in finds before the Equinot is even released:lol:

Across the Sound here in CT, I hunt 12 months of the year...on the beaches with a $300 Explorer and a $100 scoop...and when I take that Explorer inland and dirt dig, I leave the scoop home and bring the $100 pinpointer and $10 shovel instead. Trust me, that's all that's required for getting you started...and you can probably pay it all off in finds before the Equinot is even released:lol:

Oh I hear that , I could pick and choose the days so long as we don't get any of those big coastal blizzards we've been so lucky to get the last few years . I've got a scoop , I've got shovels aplenty .It would be great to find enough swag to pay for better gear right off the bat but I don't think it works that way :laughing: But I still think you offer very good advice and probably what I will end up doing , thanks for taking the time to comment . I've got to get my county permits beginning of next week for some of the beaches , pretty soon you're going to need a permit here just to get a permit :shock:

Oh I hear that , I could pick and choose the days so long as we don't get any of those big coastal blizzards we've been so lucky to get the last few years . I've got a scoop , I've got shovels aplenty .It would be great to find enough swag to pay for better gear right off the bat but I don't think it works that way :laughing: But I still think you offer very good advice and probably what I will end up doing , thanks for taking the time to comment . I've got to get my county permits beginning of next week for some of the beaches , pretty soon you're going to need a permit here just to get a permit :shock:

Ironic, isn't it? Everybody else goes to public places and does pretty much anything they want and generally leave their junk laying about but show up with a metal detector and all of a sudden there are rules.

Ironic, isn't it? Everybody else goes to public places and does pretty much anything they want and generally leave their junk laying about but show up with a metal detector and all of a sudden there are rules.

Yes , some rules/requirements are just put in place as a means to generate income and/or propagate stupidity .

Back
Top Bottom