Grrrrrr....

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Was outside next to the truck earlier, thought I'd smelled a whiff of gas. I looked underneath and the plastic tank shield had a couple wet spots on it, so I wiped a finger across it, sure-enough, have a fuel leak :mad:

Got the inspection mirror and flashlight, and looked at the top of the tank, hoping it was just a pinhole in a fuel line. No such luck. Again :mad:

So, priced a new tank with fuel pump already mounted, and new tank straps, $350 (O'Riley's). Got online, found the exact same one for $243 delivered.

Naturally I'd just filled my tank a few days ago :roll: So in the AM I'll siphon as much fuel out of it as I can, and hope for a miracle for a speedy delivery. I'm sure that's gonna happen :laughing:

Wow that's a bummer man, but just be thankful no one walked by and flicked a lit cigarette butt !

Just an old tank deteriorated or maybe something in the road got kicked up ?

Hopefully you won't need it soon, that's quite a large package to ship. UPS probably but their ground shipping is still relatively fast, but won't be picked up till earliest Monday. At least they are still working come Columbus Day if it takes that long.

Wow that's a bummer man, but just be thankful no one walked by and flicked a lit cigarette butt !

Just an old tank deteriorated or maybe something in the road got kicked up ?

This was a northern (salt belt) truck, and a farm use truck to boot. I've already replaced brake lines and some fuel line. It was however the truck I wanted (older <1997> 5.7 gas, 3/4ton, regular cab, 2wd,) just over 150K miles when I bought it. I've gotten as much as 16.25mpg, with 15.5 about normal.

There's a plastic shield that surrounds the lower half of the tank, and all they're good from is collecting dirt and holding moisture. It won't be going back on the new tank.

Hopefully you won't need it soon, that's quite a large package to ship. UPS probably but their ground shipping is still relatively fast, but won't be picked up till earliest Monday. At least they are still working come Columbus Day if it takes that long.

I need it yesterday :lol: I may see if it's something I can put a temporary fix on (they make specific putties for tanks) so I'm not having to worry about driving it a few days.

34 gallon tank, (62"x 17"x 15"). It said it would ship UPS Ground.

Was outside next to the truck earlier, thought I'd smelled a whiff of gas. I looked underneath and the plastic tank shield had a couple wet spots on it, so I wiped a finger across it, sure-enough, have a fuel leak :mad:

Got the inspection mirror and flashlight, and looked at the top of the tank, hoping it was just a pinhole in a fuel line. No such luck. Again :mad:

So, priced a new tank with fuel pump already mounted, and new tank straps, $350 (O'Riley's). Got online, found the exact same one for $243 delivered.

Naturally I'd just filled my tank a few days ago :roll: So in the AM I'll siphon as much fuel out of it as I can, and hope for a miracle for a speedy delivery. I'm sure that's gonna happen :laughing:

Only the fuel tank?

Last year had my fuel and brake lines replaced for the second time in 4 years... first time I was robbed by a Sunoco station of $2400 for both then I found an honest mechanic at a BP station who quoted me $1100 and when I got the bill was happy to see the invoice say $800 last year. Frigging brine they are adding to the salt is killing cars and trucks in the NE

Only the fuel tank?

Last year had my fuel and brake lines replaced for the second time in 4 years... first time I was robbed by a Sunoco station of $2400 for both then I found an honest mechanic at a BP station who quoted me $1100 and when I got the bill was happy to see the invoice say $800 last year. Frigging brine they are adding to the salt is killing cars and trucks in the NE

Not sure what you're asking "only the fuel tank"? If you mean the one I've got coming, has pump, yes, and also included tank mounting straps.

In a sense I feel bad for some of these brick and mortar stores, and if they'd have been within $30-40 I'd have bought local, but I'm not throwing an extra "hun" at 'em. I buy plenty from them anyways.

Thankfully I'm mechanically-inclined and do my own repairs, it'd kill me to pay someone to work on something of mine.

One good thing about moving south, no (or next to none) road salt. We always kidded about vehicles back north (Indiana) by asking if they had been parked on a salt pile :lol:

ETA: I think I realize you're asking as far as replacement parts "Only the fuel tank".....nope, brake and fuel as well, plus driver side missing lower rocker panel under the door.

while you're waiting for the replacement tank, grab a tube of Seal-All and a dab of that should stop the leak temporarily (if you can get at the hole).
you can even use a couple small 1 inch squares of cloth soaked in Seal All, apply it to the hole, slop s'more S/A over the patches, almost like doing fiberglass work. :yes:

Pete

That's not a terribly complicated job to do, but bummer you have to do it. I have to say i do not miss rotting brake and fuel lines since moving south...

while you're waiting for the replacement tank, grab a tube of Seal-All and a dab of that should stop the leak temporarily (if you can get at the hole).
you can even use a couple small 1 inch squares of cloth soaked in Seal All, apply it to the hole, slop s'more S/A over the patches, almost like doing fiberglass work. :yes:

Pete

That's the plan. Never seen that brand, I see Home Depot carries it, may give it a whirl.

That's not a terribly complicated job to do, but bummer you have to do it. I have to say i do not miss rotting brake and fuel lines since moving south...

Oh I've done it before, lol...that's why I'm not looking forward to it :lol:

That's the plan. Never seen that brand, I see Home Depot carries it, may give it a whirl.

never seen it? wow, ok. but it's great stuff! i've patched lawnmower gas tanks, furnace oil tank, oil pans, etc.... just remember it's only a temporary patch and won't last indefinitely. and using small cloth pieces soaked in the S/A and overlapping the leak is probably the best method to use. it'll even adhere to somewhat oily surfaces, but clean and dry the item as best as you can prior to applying the sealant. you can even seal broken wire insulation with it. ;)

Siphoned fuel out of the tank this AM, cut 2x4s to stand under the clamshell seam (where tank halves are mated) at ends of tank so I could remove straps and then plastic shield). Pulled straps, removed shield, and wiped-tank dry.

Nothing leaking, so I left shield off, reinstalled the straps, and started adding fuel back into the tank, 5 gallons at a time. After 10 gallons, I went for a 6-8 mile ride, stopping halfway to check the tank, nothing.

So I checked again once home, bone dry, so I added 5 more gallons, took a shower and came in and ate a big breakfast to celebrate :yes: Nowhere I need to got until replacement tank arrives, but it's a relief knowing I can if I need to.

I figured the shield would be full of dirt/rock, but surprisingly it wasn't, clean as a pin. I've decided to reinstall it, mostly for liability reasons, if I was ever involved in an accident, I don't want to give them (insurer) any reasons not to pay. They create enough of those on their own :roll:

ETA: Cfmct, I forgot until I was under the truck, I've also replaced Parking Brake cables ;)

I have a leak in my fuel pump. They want more than that for just the fuel pump . . . more than i paid for the old car.

After having $$ pulled from my account immediately upon ordering, which they stated they don't do until item is prepared to ship, and hearing nothing Monday, I emailed them this AM. I told them if the tank wasn't physically on a truck today, and not giving me the "shipping label created" BS, and telling me it shipped, to refund my $$ and cancel my order, I'd get it elsewhere.

I received an email telling me it's on it's way, and here's the tracking numbers. Problem, there were no tracking numbers. I'm awaiting a reply as to why/where the #s are.

They've refused to reply to me, even after telling them I was filing a BBB Complaint after 3PM in the event they continued to refuse to provide me info or a refund. They've refused both. BBB Complaint filed.

NEVER buy from Auto Parts Warehouse :mad:

They've refused to reply to me, even after telling them I was filing a BBB Complaint after 3PM in the event they continued to refuse to provide me info or a refund. They've refused both. BBB Complaint filed.

NEVER buy from Auto Parts Warehouse :mad:

That's why I like to check reviews beforehand, it looks like a LOT of other customers feel the way you do about them -

Overall customer satisfaction rating ONLY 1 star out of 5 (Based on 151 reviews that contain star ratings)

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/autopartswarehouse.html

.....wait till you read some of the reviews at the above link !

That's why I like to check reviews beforehand, it looks like a LOT of other customers feel the way you do about them -

Overall customer satisfaction rating ONLY 1 star out of 5 (Based on 151 reviews that contain star ratings)

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/autopartswarehouse.html

.....wait till you read some of the reviews at the above link !

Thanks, I have a cut on my arm, wanna rub some salt on it? :laughing:

You know, 80% of the time, I'd have checked......and the time I don't (and there's no good reason I didn't) :dash3:

Think I need to step outside for a smoke and a cold one :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the link ;)

Soap... Soap here will be your friend. Soap is an emulsifier, and will not be affected by the Gasoline. To temporarily plug the leak jam a bar of soap in the pinhole leak/crack, and then cover with some duct tape to keep it in place.Then you can use up the gas and replace the tank later.

I recommend Ivory.

Old mechanics trick.

Cheers,

Skippy

EDIT: Whoops. Didn't get to you fast enough... sorry.

Thanks, I have a cut on my arm, wanna rub some salt on it? :laughing:

You know, 80% of the time, I'd have checked......and the time I don't (and there's no good reason I didn't) :dash3:

Think I need to step outside for a smoke and a cold one :lol:

Oh, and thanks for the link ;)

Sorry if the salt hurt :lol:

Don't feel too bad, I think many of us learn the hard way before making it a habit to research products and companies first.

OMG :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I JUST got an email from some goober sending me tracking numbers telling me my tank will be here tomorrow :laughing::laughing:

Then ask me to go give him a good review :lol:

Morons, I swear I'm living in bizzaro world :twisted::grimace:

OMG :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I JUST got an email from some goober sending me tracking numbers telling me my tank will be here tomorrow :laughing::laughing:

Then ask me to go give him a good review :lol:

Morons, I swear I'm living in bizzaro world :twisted::grimace:

Hopefully the quality of the tank is okay, some of the reviews of the quality of some of their other products makes me somewhat leary.

Back
Top Bottom