Tired of summer...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
...as I am sure many of you are.
It has been unusually hot up north for longer than normal, out west I have read it has been brutal in some states.
Here in the south high heat into September and beyond is normal but right now I am kind of sick of it all.
The heat, the pounding sun, humidity has been around but not always unusually uncomfortable, thank goodness, but none of that matters when the ground is so dry it is very difficult to dig in.
I discovered using my Sampson it is easier to dig in the hard, dry dirt, I can make good plugs that heal up nicely with a little rain and I won't destroy and scar the earth like I would if I used my Lesche but still, just getting out there with all this stuff going on makes me think twice about even trying.
I have friends to hunt with and new sites to hunt but until things change it is hard to get motivated.
I hunt with PanheadDan and he is much younger plus fairly new so he is much more motivated to get out there in any kind of conditions...like I used to be not so long ago when I started.
Now, things are different...I find it hard to keep up in the heat.
Youth is wasted on the young.

We finally are out of the 90's here but we are still into the mid to high 80's.
I looked up the forecast for my area and it looks like we won't get into the 70's and stay there for daily temps until the middle of October.
Can't wait.
For me that is when my hunting season really begins.
Fall to spring is my time, I can go longer, be more comfortable and have more fun.
With a little rain we can get back to normal around here, such as that is, and get to the business at hand...freeing marvelous treasure from the bosom of mother earth.

Like I said...can't wait.

Digger, you're going to need to bookmark this post of follow up on in about 4-5 months and see if the opinion remains the same when the ground is frozen solid and under 2 feet of snow. Come that time us northerns will be talking about the merits of different model vacuum cleaners, laundry detergent and what type of battery operated hammer drill are avialable that we could attach a lesche to.

Digger, you're going to need to bookmark this post of follow up on in about 4-5 months and see if the opinion remains the same when the ground is frozen solid and under 2 feet of snow. Come that time us northerns will be talking about the merits of different model vacuum cleaners, laundry detergent and what type of battery operated hammer drill are avialable that we could attach a lesche to.

LOL!
Nahhh!
I surely would be if I still lived in Kansas, my first winter there after hunting here in Birmingham Alabama for a couple of years was easy, temps in the 40-50's, not much snow, ice or frozen ground at all, I said to myself this is great, no big deal.
Then the next two years it got back to normal with extremely cold temps, deep snowstorms, ice, wind like I have rarely felt.
My wife caught me beeping over a big potted plant in the living room where I had buried a few coins in the dirt after being stuck inside for months with no hunting.
I was mentally hurting bad after weeks of that.
I tried hunting in the snow, attempted to bundle up and get out in the cold a couple of times, I broke my Lesche trying to chip and pry a 1" dime out of some rock hard frozen ground.
None of it was all that much fun.

Here in the south we rarely get too cold to hunt except for a couple of days here and there, it hardly ever snows and if it does it is so little that is usually melts by the afternoon and best of all...THE GROUND NEVER FREEZES!

We do get the occasional snow or ice storm but we can go for many years between such rare events.

We suffer through the summer here to get to this point, October all the way through April....maybe May and even into June sometimes is our prime season for hunting in the south.
The best most comfortable time of the year to hunt, anyway.
The temps are low, the ground becomes much more diggable, with a little rain here and there it becomes a pleasure to dig most everywhere.
Plus we can get deep if necessary.

I won't revisit this thread with any regret nor will I rub it in when I see posts from you northern guys that lament about the weather.
I will always remember what I went through, to do otherwise would just be cruel.

Last edited:
I agree!

I ventured out the other day to a park for some diggin. It had rained the night before, so figured ground would be more conducive to digging.

NOT! I could push the Samson shovel abt 3 inches into the DRY HARD packed soil, then it was like trying to peel of 1/2 inch layers of concrete!

I left many deep targets that I thought may be silver coins, but no way I was going to rip shoulder cartilage just to dig 5 inches deeper for a chance at a silver dime! LOL

SOOOOO ready for the fall, easier diggin and less humidity!

I know i am getting tired of the rain here, hopefully it stops good and early this year so the underbrush will die off and i can get out again. My land hunting season is really only say late december until may if i can deal with the heat.

It's been muggy/hot here too, but not really like it was during the drought over the past few years, I think it was 2013 or 14 we had 113 degree temps for weeks on end. This year has been high 90s and maybe two or three 100 degree days, and we've had rain every few weeks when it started drying up. This summer is the first I've hunted straight through, I'm usually too overheated by mid June to hunt.

We started getting really dry a week or two ago and it was getting harder to make good plugs, but finally we are getting a good soaking and the temps have dropped into the high 60s to low 80s and are supposed to stay there a while. I like it!

Digger, the temps finally cooled down in my area , but, the gnats are terrible this year in my area. I can't hunt with a swarm at my head.

Digger, the temps finally cooled down in my area , but, the gnats are terrible this year in my area. I can't hunt with a swarm at my head.

Here too.
Don't know why, I have hunted here for a few years now and this is the first year I can remember them being such a problem...and pretty much everywhere.
Are they trying to take over the world by bothering us to death?

iu

Yeah, it's been bad. Usually no problem during the day, but this year when you sweat even a little and they are all over you. High wind days have helped, but geez when you stay still for just a second to dig a plug they're freaking all over buzzing around your eyes, ears and neck! Then at dusk the mosquitoes join them and it's just miserable!

I wish for summer in the winter and for winter in the summer. Love to complain about weather. Gets me thru each day :laughing:

I know i am getting tired of the rain here, hopefully it stops good and early this year so the underbrush will die off and i can get out again. My land hunting season is really only say late december until may if i can deal with the heat.

PSHHHHH... No rain here for 2 months. Heard great signals but can get 2 cm before rock-hard dirt kills me.

Back
Top Bottom