Fisher 1265X Battery Holders

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Dad had bought this detector new in 1986 (I still have the receipt), and I know he used it often, as he was a dedicated MD'er. I kept the detector because I wanted to use it, mostly because it was his, but they're still supposed to be a good detector to this day.

Anyway, I noticed the battery holders were distorted and cracking on the bottoms, due to their design. I'd found a conversation via internet search regarding replacements. I'd seen them from a large MD retailer for $5/each plus shipping, but also saw them in the prior mentioned conversation at SurplusSales for $2/each plus shipping.

http://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/BattHolders.html

bat-um3x4.jpg

Just so happened I had a couple power supplies damaged by lightning last week, so I ordered them, as well as a pair of the battery holders. I will update once they arrive (Monday) as far as fitment.

In the meanwhile, I epoxied a small scrap piece of Kydex to the bottom of each battery holder, and once it hardened, put them on the belt sander. They both fit back into the machine just fine, and can serve as spares once the new ones arrive (and fit properly).

picture.php

Red arrow points at the gap, which lets the spring-loaded batteries cause pressure on the "flap" which is the bottom, causing it to bend downward. It was also beginning to crack the plastic. You can see the additional material (white) I epoxied to the bottom, and let cure while lightly being clamped.

picture.php

As for adding pieces to the ends, you need to leave the connections free to make contact. I have had them break at each end. Mine are such tight fitting that adding anything to them would make them to long to fit.

As for adding pieces to the ends, you need to leave the connections free to make contact. I have had them break at each end. Mine are such tight fitting that adding anything to them would make them to long to fit.

Look at the pic at the very top, these have the 9v type terminals. I didn't cover anything on the bottom as there's nothing there.

Just an FYI, I'd received the new battery holders today, and they are identical to those in the 1265X, so if you need a set, these will be an exact replacement.

Have you had a chance to try them yet? Do they seem as well made as the original?

They're identical. What I don't know, is if Dad had ever replaced them? This detector sat in his closet for at least a couple decades.

Had I known the replacements I ordered would work, I wouldn't have even fooled with the repair. But, I have an emergency set if needed, and it might help someone out of a pinch if they want to use their old detector before replacements arrive.

Back
Top Bottom