Which whites pi is the better one?

The newer DF or the old surf master? I've seen different coil colors.

I would go with an older Surfmaster over the DF... DF is a good Detector but on a yearly basis I found more gold with the older PI's than I did with a DF...My friend hunts with the purple surfmaster and kills the gold.

I would go with an older Surfmaster over the DF... DF is a good Detector but on a yearly basis I found more gold with the older PI's than I did with a DF...My friend hunts with the purple surfmaster and kills the gold.

This coil

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 271
The newer DF or the old surf master? I've seen different coil colors.

I thought one of the White's PI's had an adjustable pulse delay...that is the ideal one to get! You can fine tune the machine for small gold / fine chains.

The caveat to buying an old, or heck, used, machine is that age does impact the detectors waterproof capabilities. Perhaps significantly moreso if the machine was used in salt water. Age and/or salt, can dry out the coil cords and phone cords.

Being in FL, I look at a lot of used detectors that get listed by retirees that can no longer hunt. The pics look great, but I find many of them stored their detectors outdoors (in the heat). The plastic cams / locks/ and even cases are so brittle they already have stress cracks and some of them break with the slightest touch.

I went to look at an Excal bought in '10. Original owner, only used on occasion. He wound the coil wire around the shaft and never, moved it. Yes he rinsed it off, but he never unwound it and recoated it or such maintenance. When I arrived, I went to adjust the shaft. In doing so, I stretched the wire and it cracked in two spots. BOOM. Add a few $$$ to send it in and replace the coil/coil wire.

Last year I bought my bucket list machine, a DP-pulse. It was a stellar, closet queen of a used water machine. After my first trip to the beach, the cords split in a 100 places. Never seen anything like it before. Fortunately I found a guy to replace the cord and I'm good as new, but it was still a bummer and it was out of service for quite some time.

IMO, I'd buy something newer. IMOx2, all PI's are generally close in performance. The adjustable pulse delay will make a slightly noticeable difference, but only if tuned correctly. All the popular dive-style PI's are going to find earing backs, small studs, and usually thinner chains than VLF machines. Of course, swing technique always plays a difference too.

Best of luck!

I thought one of the White's PI's had an adjustable pulse delay...that is the ideal one to get! You can fine tune the machine for small gold / fine chains.

The caveat to buying an old, or heck, used, machine is that age does impact the detectors waterproof capabilities. Perhaps significantly moreso if the machine was used in salt water. Age and/or salt, can dry out the coil cords and phone cords.

Being in FL, I look at a lot of used detectors that get listed by retirees that can no longer hunt. The pics look great, but I find many of them stored their detectors outdoors (in the heat). The plastic cams / locks/ and even cases are so brittle they already have stress cracks and some of them break with the slightest touch.

I went to look at an Excal bought in '10. Original owner, only used on occasion. He wound the coil wire around the shaft and never, moved it. Yes he rinsed it off, but he never unwound it and recoated it or such maintenance. When I arrived, I went to adjust the shaft. In doing so, I stretched the wire and it cracked in two spots. BOOM. Add a few $$$ to send it in and replace the coil/coil wire.

Last year I bought my bucket list machine, a DP-pulse. It was a stellar, closet queen of a used water machine. After my first trip to the beach, the cords split in a 100 places. Never seen anything like it before. Fortunately I found a guy to replace the cord and I'm good as new, but it was still a bummer and it was out of service for quite some time.

IMO, I'd buy something newer. IMOx2, all PI's are generally close in performance. The adjustable pulse delay will make a slightly noticeable difference, but only if tuned correctly. All the popular dive-style PI's are going to find earing backs, small studs, and usually thinner chains than VLF machines. Of course, swing technique always plays a difference too.

Best of luck!

The DF has a adjustable pulse delay but so do the old surfmasters... before the DF came out Whites took the adjustable pulse delay off the PI PRO which many didn't like but I did very well with the PI PRO in fact I did better with the PI PRO than the DF.. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for selling it. :roll:

The DF has a adjustable pulse delay but so do the old surfmasters... before the DF came out Whites took the adjustable pulse delay off the PI PRO which many didn't like but I did very well with the PI PRO in fact I did better with the PI PRO than the DF.. I'm still kicking myself in the butt for selling it. :roll:

...and she is still clicking along!! ;):D

Back
Top Bottom