What's the deal with these silver dollars?

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I acquired these from my grandfather when he died a while back. The pictures are the SAME coins just flipped over to see the other side. All three of them are the SAME on each side. The Peace Dollar has heads on each side. The second is tails on each side (Morgan dollar). The last one has heads on both sides, but with different dates 1842 and 1840 (Seated Dollar). What are your thoughts? They seem like genuine silver dollars. How would someone alter them to be the same on each side? I'm sure they didn't come from the mint that way.

Attachments

• 20171013_203119_resized.jpg
    20171013_203119_resized.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 483
  • 20171013_203132_resized.jpg
    20171013_203132_resized.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 468
Look closely at the reeded edge, you might see a very fine seam or line. My father had a few two-headed Morgan dollars that he made. He took some Morgan dollar coin and shaved them in half in his machine shop, then carefully lined up the halves and bonded them together making a two-headed coin.

Found a magicians dime once. Thought it was some kinda error and I was rich !!! Took it to my "coin guy" and he showed me a half dozen he had for sale. I'd be happy with what you have there. Congrats

Drop it on a hard surface and see if
it has that silver sound.

If they are 2 piece there should be
a sound difference.
at least you will know if its solid.

I found a two-headed nickel in change as a kid; you could see that two coins had been cut and spliced together.

Back
Top Bottom