"Patellar Tendonitis", "shin splint" and stress fracture caution

You need to go see a good sports/orthopedic Dr.

It would be nice, but our health insurance deductibles are so high we'd end up paying 100% for any treatment which we can't afford.

Besides, I don't know what they could really do other then tell me to rest it, it's not like I need a cast, and I read about too many negative side effects from injections.

I'm planning on calling my doctor's office tomorrow to tell the nurse what happened and see if she can give me an idea how long I might need bed rest for it to be able to heal up enough to walk okay again.

It would be nice, but our health insurance deductibles are so high we'd end up paying 100% for any treatment which we can't afford.

Besides, I don't know what they could really do other then tell me to rest it, it's not like I need a cast, and I read about too many negative side effects from injections.

I'm planning on calling my doctor's office tomorrow to tell the nurse what happened and see if she can give me an idea how long I might need bed rest for it to be able to heal up enough to walk okay again.

I understand, I declined spinal injections (no thanks!), but in a leg? If you're hurting that bad, you need a 2nd opinion. I didn't see where you'd even had X-rays. Your Dr didn't even do that? That should be less than $100 at a Med Center, I'd go on my own and get 'em.

I understand, I declined spinal injections (no thanks!), but in a leg? If you're hurting that bad, you need a 2nd opinion. I didn't see where you'd even had X-rays. Your Dr didn't even do that? That should be less than $100 at a Med Center, I'd go on my own and get 'em.

Well, I don't feel any pain when laying or sitting and only some pain when I try to walk, (except the first day it was more painful) it is more that my leg muscle don't want to work to lift my leg rather than just being too painful to move.

I never saw the doctor for this, just talked to the nurse last week about my left leg (which is now a lot better) so I'll see how it is tomorrow and call the nurse about what's going on with my right leg.

It seemed by the time my left leg got improved, the extra stress I put on my right leg during that time on crutches messed up my right leg, in hindsight I should have not tried to do as much as I did while on crutches, I tried to keep doing what chores I could even on crutches.

You may also have Sciatica. I had it so bad I was cripple for a while. After all the pain I lost feeling in part of my thigh years ago. Now I can get stabbed in the thigh and not feel it. One day I had a wire stick in my leg from a wire wheel. never knew it until I tried to lower my pants:shock: Had a bone spur in my Achilles for years. That's what about broke my bank account. Now my ankle starts hurting I got to lay on a couch. Getting old aint for wimps that is for sure!

You may also have Sciatica. I had it so bad I was cripple for a while. After all the pain I lost feeling in part of my thigh years ago. Now I can get stabbed in the thigh and not feel it. One day I had a wire stick in my leg from a wire wheel. never knew it until I tried to lower my pants:shock: Had a bone spur in my Achilles for years. That's what about broke my bank account. Now my ankle starts hurting I got to lay on a couch. Getting old aint for wimps that is for sure!

Thanks for sharing your experience !

So it kept you from working ? Fortunately I'm retired so I'm not missing time from a paid job, but I hope to be able to get back to doing chores again soon.

You said "for a while" and from what I read it can get better after a while, I just hope it doesn't take too much more bed rest, after just a few days in bed I'm already frustrated at not being able to do chores, I just hope it doesn't take weeks.

I still have feeling in my leg, and not any extreme pain when I try to walk, just seems like my leg don't want to lift up off the floor and I have to slide it forward. I'll call the nurse tomorrow and she how long the nurse says I might need to rest it.

Thanks for sharing your experience !

So it kept you from working ? Fortunately I'm retired so I'm not missing time from a paid job, but I hope to be able to get back to doing chores again soon.

You said "for a while" and from what I read it can get better after a while, I just hope it doesn't take too much more bed rest, after just a few days in bed I'm already frustrated at not being able to do chores, I just hope it doesn't take weeks.

I still have feeling in my leg, and not any extreme pain when I try to walk, just seems like my leg don't want to lift up off the floor and I have to slide it forward. I'll call the nurse tomorrow and she how long the nurse says I might need to rest it.

Had to retire myself. When mine gets bad it can hurt so bad you feel like you slipped on a banana peel and your foot went over your head. You may need to try a pillow to elevate your leg at night to get things to calm down.

Forgot to add. Some injections side effects can give you roid rage. Last ones I got made me down in the dumps and P'oed at everybody. You ever got to get a steroidal shot be sure you tell your wife you may be cranky for a while.

Your story is just another that makes me think all this modern "cardio" stuff is dangerous, not only needless for normally active persons. I bought into it a couple years ago trying to lose my quit smoking weight and started walking / running 4-5 miles a day. I got shin splints also, and you know what, I never lost any weight after putting over 500 miles on my fancy running shoes.

Since I stopped that nonsense and just started making sure I get a couple miles in with my normal routine and a lot of detecting, (and doing weight watchers) I've dropped over 30 pounds and have had no recurrence of pain. It's also fixed my back trouble. I guess my point is this, don't try to take on a marathon, just do small things that all add up without hurting you. Hope you get better soon!

Had to retire myself. When mine gets bad it can hurt so bad you feel like you slipped on a banana peel and your foot went over your head. You may need to try a pillow to elevate your leg at night to get things to calm down.

Forgot to add. Some injections side effects can give you roid rage. Last ones I got made me down in the dumps and P'oed at everybody. You ever got to get a steroidal shot be sure you tell your wife you may be cranky for a while.

Thanks, but fortunately there's no pain at all when laying down or sitting, and now very little pain when I try to use my right leg to walk, it's just getting the right leg to move forward when standing, when I'm sitting I can lift my right leg off the floor some okay. It seems to improve a little each day so maybe it's just a muscle that needs time to heal ?

Your story is just another that makes me think all this modern "cardio" stuff is dangerous, not only needless for normally active persons. I bought into it a couple years ago trying to lose my quit smoking weight and started walking / running 4-5 miles a day. I got shin splints also, and you know what, I never lost any weight after putting over 500 miles on my fancy running shoes.

Since I stopped that nonsense and just started making sure I get a couple miles in with my normal routine and a lot of detecting, (and doing weight watchers) I've dropped over 30 pounds and have had no recurrence of pain. It's also fixed my back trouble. I guess my point is this, don't try to take on a marathon, just do small things that all add up without hurting you. Hope you get better soon!

Thanks, well, you are right, I think I just overdid it. They say the average person should have a minimum of 30 minutes a day of exercise that gets your cardio up, but you are right that you can overdo it and get hurt.

A couple miles a day like you said should be fine, I had pushed myself to 5 miles a day of speed walking (3 in the morning and 2 in the afternoon) and that was too much too soon, I should have stuck with just 2 miles a day total.

I did lose about 10 lbs in two weeks, but we also watch what we eat in addition to exercise.

Like another post suggested, bicycling is good exercise, but with the advantage of being low impact and less likely to cause the leg problems that a lot of walking/running can, so I am going to see about getting a bike to ride outside when I am back up to it again. I have an indoor exercise bike to use on rainy days, but it's nice to exercise outside when you can.

I'll have to call my doctor's office and ask the nurse how long I need to recuperate my leg before seeing if I can pedal my exercise bike.

So, you're saying you went from this

qNWt7p1.gif

to this?

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2Frunning-red-jumpsuit.gif

:laughing:

So, you're saying you went from this

qNWt7p1.gif

to this?

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F01%2Frunning-red-jumpsuit.gif

:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thanks, appreciated the laugh and finding those videos :lol: !!!!!

It's actually feeling a little improved today, though still weak and letting me know not to rush things, even though I'm getting tired of bed rest, but I don't want to rush things and make it worse again.

(....though I do feel bad for whatever is wrong with that second person :shock: )

Just talked with the nurse and she agrees that "Patellar Tendonitis" is what my injury could actually be.

My right leg is now back to normal but I guess putting more weight on my left leg to give my right leg a chance to heal aggravated my left leg again which had gotten pain free by the time my right leg acted up, but now my left leg is sore again just below the knee.

I saw where discomfort just below the front of the knee indicates "Patellar Tendonitis", (that discomfort is just on my left leg).

Since it does not actually prevent me from walking I am hoping it is the milder "level one" of "Patellar Tendonitis".

The nurse said to rest my legs over the weekend and see how it is on Monday to see if I can start gradually easing back into a normal routine over time. She said if it gets worse then come on in to be checked.

So Monday I hope to do very limited walking getting some minor chores done where I don't stay on my feet for too long at one time and gradually build up to doing more over time.

I also ordered a Patella Knee Strap as it had very high reviews for helping with this type of injury.

If anyone else has (or has had) "Patellar Tendonitis" and you want to share your experience as far as how long it took to get back to normal it would be appreciated !

........I am so tired of bed rest, but I want to use wisdom in allowing time for proper healing so it don't get worse by pushing it too much too soon, but I'll sure be glad to get back to walking faster than a snail's pace again :lol:

I remember back in my football and baseball days getting shin splints. Such a crappy thing to deal with. What I found helped the most was copious amounts of alcohol.....(just kidding)

Take a bunch of dixie cups, fill them with water and put em in the freezer. Remove the top portion of the cup after frozen so it sort of resembles a deodorant stick. Lay down and massage your shins with the ice in the dixie cup in the same manner you would apply deodorant. (in a paintbrush style movement) That was the only thing that helped me with the pain. Hope it works for you.

Edit: note to self, read entire thread before posting "advice" :laughing:

I remember back in my football and baseball days getting shin splints. Such a crappy thing to deal with. What I found helped the most was copious amounts of alcohol.....(just kidding)

Take a bunch of dixie cups, fill them with water and put em in the freezer. Remove the top portion of the cup after frozen so it sort of resembles a deodorant stick. Lay down and massage your shins with the ice in the dixie cup in the same manner you would apply deodorant. (in a paintbrush style movement) That was the only thing that helped me with the pain. Hope it works for you.

Edit: note to self, read entire thread before posting "advice" :laughing:

No problem, my understanding of what I had changed as I researched more :lol:

But thanks for responding, and ice is what is recommended for "Patellar Tendonitis" also, I have an ice bag I can refill with ice cubes.

I'll admit I didnt read all the replys to this. I have had shin splints bad and a running friend of mine said first off, Loosen your shoe laces. He's done 3 Iron mans so I took his advice. He stated from his trainer telling him the same thing that what happens is when you tie your laces so tight the tendons from the top of your foot to your shin are moving on the shin too much cause they are restrained by the laces.

Second issue. If you have pain on the inside, below the leg, on the shin. Say 2-3" below the joint but on the inside of the shin that could be Pes Anserine (Knee Tendon) Bursitis. I dealt with it for months upon months thinking my knee joint (previous MCL damage and Meniscus tear 08 ) was taking a !!!!. After google searching and finding the link below I began stretching out my Hamstrings both normally and with (say left leg) turned inward to localize the stretch to the inner ham/thigh. Took about a week and a half but the pain went away completely. Zero issues. Until I stopped stretching and it came back.. Repeat above process. :roll:

Sucks getting older and stiffer. Things dont work like they used to. Hope you're doing better now tho.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00335

I'll admit I didnt read all the replys to this. I have had shin splints bad and a running friend of mine said first off, Loosen your shoe laces. He's done 3 Iron mans so I took his advice. He stated from his trainer telling him the same thing that what happens is when you tie your laces so tight the tendons from the top of your foot to your shin are moving on the shin too much cause they are restrained by the laces.

Second issue. If you have pain on the inside, below the leg, on the shin. Say 2-3" below the joint but on the inside of the shin that could be Pes Anserine (Knee Tendon) Bursitis. I dealt with it for months upon months thinking my knee joint (previous MCL damage and Meniscus tear 08 ) was taking a !!!!. After google searching and finding the link below I began stretching out my Hamstrings both normally and with (say left leg) turned inward to localize the stretch to the inner ham/thigh. Took about a week and a half but the pain went away completely. Zero issues. Until I stopped stretching and it came back.. Repeat above process. :roll:

Sucks getting older and stiffer. Things dont work like they used to. Hope you're doing better now tho.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00335

Thanks for taking the time to share all that !

It seems like "Pes Anserine Bursitis" and "Patellar Tendonitis" gives similar discomfort, but the treatment is about the same. I'm not 100% positive which it could be but since the treatment is similar I guess it doesn't matter.

Whatever it is it doesn't keep me from walking at all, but for now I do limit my walking to very short occasional walks in my house and stay off my feet the rest of the time to try to give it time to heal more before doing too much and risk making it worse.

So for treatment I stay off my feet as much as possible for now and I occasionally use an ice pack. The Patella Knee Strap I ordered came today, it doesn't yet take away all the soreness but it does seem to help some, likely the injury needs to heal more and then the strap can continued to be used to help maintain it.

It is not extreme pain, but a soreness immediately below my left knee in the front, sometimes it is more sore than at other times and it can be sore even when laying down.

GKL. I understand the "resting" and icing for sure. As another stated I also suffer sciatica and know how that feels. Sometimes you feel the twinge and stop in your tracks. Knowing full well that the next movement IS Going to leave you crippled for a few days to a week no matter what you do. Also have been unable to walk pretty much at all without leaning on something. Not to mention its very difficult to sit on the,,,, Well "throne" when needed with sciatica.

As for the rest, Also stretching can really loosen up all kinds of muscular issues. It just takes time. I'm at the point right now where I'm starting to get the lower back and knee issues again cause for me, without the pain, I forget to stretch. Stupid circle I create. Take care and get out when you can. Maybe a stationary bike with little tension and just pedal lightly for 10-15 min per day to loosen up the legs before walking. And/or do it after too.

GKL. I understand the "resting" and icing for sure. As another stated I also suffer sciatica and know how that feels. Sometimes you feel the twinge and stop in your tracks. Knowing full well that the next movement IS Going to leave you crippled for a few days to a week no matter what you do. Also have been unable to walk pretty much at all without leaning on something. Not to mention its very difficult to sit on the,,,, Well "throne" when needed with sciatica.

As for the rest, Also stretching can really loosen up all kinds of muscular issues. It just takes time. I'm at the point right now where I'm starting to get the lower back and knee issues again cause for me, without the pain, I forget to stretch. Stupid circle I create. Take care and get out when you can. Maybe a stationary bike with little tension and just pedal lightly for 10-15 min per day to loosen up the legs before walking. And/or do it after too.

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated, stretching is one thing I had failed to do before I did my speed walking.

The nurse said to hold off for now as far as the exercise bike.

I do think I am gradually making progress, of course there is an understandable slight increase in soreness by the end of the day, but I know I need to get some limited walking in and gradually increase it over time.

Right leg is still fine, just get the mild soreness immediately below my left knee.

Forgot to mention I went to the doctors yesterday in hopes of getting a prescription for a hinged knee brace (after I checked and saw my insurance would pay 100% for one as long as it was under $500).

Anyhow, I couldn't convince the doctor, she was not convinced it would really help, said I needed to get a balance of walking some without crutches to keep the leg muscles in tone, and use crutches at other times, and let pain be my guide as to not doing too much walking at one time.

They faxed a prescription to the pharmacy for a small tube of non-steroid ointment that was supposed to be really good at reducing any inflammation. The pharmacy called me to say my insurance would not cover it and it would cost me $1000.00 for one tiny tube ! (yes a THOUSAND dollars) (doctor checked and there were no alternatives to that particular medication) Of course I said no thanks, I'll just stick with using my ice bag :lol: (which the doctor also recommended)

Doctor said it just takes time to heal, see how it's doing in about a week and a half.

They did wrap it with a really good Ace bandage (very wide) which did seem to help some.

So, bottom line, give it time, occasional walking but not too much at one time, and ice bag after any walking.

On my previous post above I didn't mention the name of the small tube of topical gel the pharmacy said my insurance wouldn't cover and therefore it would cost me a THOUSAND dollars for one tiny tube, it is called "DICLOFENAC SODIUM 3% GEL".

......like I said in my previous post, I told them no thanks, I'll stick to using my ice bag :lol:

Back
Top Bottom