Bullet basic questions

Gumba143

Found in WI, is it ok to say this is 100 years old? Flat on both ends not shot? What would this caliber used for? Does it have powder in it? I want to learn about the area I am detecting but I know absolutely nothing about this bullet and any info would help, thanks, joni

Attachments

• 20170918_054952.jpg
    20170918_054952.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 20170918_055050.jpg
    20170918_055050.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 235
Hard to tell for sure, at least for me. I don't see any rifling marks and there appears to be a hollow point. Could be a dropped modern bullet. Or not.

thanks, I'm just looking for something to research on google, its a new area, found an arrow as well, lots of hunting id guess

Found in WI, is it ok to say this is 100 years old? Flat on both ends not shot? What would this caliber used for? Does it have powder in it? I want to learn about the area I am detecting but I know absolutely nothing about this bullet and any info would help, thanks, joni

Cannot say if it is 100 years old or not based on the picture. It does appear to have rifling marks, so it was fired. We cannot say what caliber it would be used for, because you did not provide measurements. It does not have powder in it, it is only the bullet. The powder would have been in the cartridge.

No a bullet expert, but is the head just flattened or does it have screw threads in it? If so it could be a pulled three ring bullet of civil war vintage.

Seems like dropped 3 ringer from civil war, tip is missing though, still nice 3 ringer though, look around the area you found that, probably more still in the area

Back
Top Bottom