Found a key date coin - to clean or not to clean...

sandgroper

Elite Member
...that is the question! I found this 1918 Australian Sixpence yesterday and after a brief research, I found out it is considered a key date coin with only 900 000 or so being minted. I'm not sure in what condition it is in, but at VG it's worth $35, at F $130 and at VF $405.

So here's my first question:

1. By how much will the patina/dirt on the coin decrease its value? (I've also noticed that on the left side of the coin there is a dent which would likely decrease its value too. I don't think I hit the coin with my shovel because there is patina on the dent)

and now for my second question

2. Would it be wise to clean it, and if so, how? I've got an ultrasonic cleaner at home, so should I put it in there or not?

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 6d.jpg
    6d.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 6d2.jpg
    6d2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 350
I wouldn't clean it. There's a lot of great detail there so it isn't hard to know what it is. Coin collectors scream Don't clean coins. I guess if it was just going to be yours for display you could do what you want. I've clean a couple of 40% silver coins and one ended up in the coin garden. They were foreign so they're just junk to me anyhow.

If you plan on keeping it forever, go ahead and clean it.
If there's a chance a collector might receive it, don't.

Back
Top Bottom