• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I found "Oak Island Treasure!!!" haha!

007tallguy

Elite Member
no, i haven't been detecting on the actual Island (as of yet) and this isn't a huge chest full of gold, but.... this token speaks for itself, haha.

i was itching to get out today to do a little bit of swinging and i managed to find a little patch of lawn nearby where this weeks' snow had melted away. after swinging for an hour or so and digging up the usual trash, i came up with this little item.

initially, i thought it was a silver quarter or 50c coin cause it really sang a nice little tune on the 250. but then i saw the pirate on it and the words "Oak Island" and i thought to myself... "what have we here?" :hmmm:
I honestly don't remember seeing one of these before, but after a bit of research i did find a little write up about them and i'll quote this comment made to someone who managed to purchase a couple of these tokens on Ebay about 6 years ago. (i haven't been able to find out what he paid for them, but i guess they go for quite bit!):

"Back in 1974/75, those coins were used to "salt" a fake treasure pit we had built on the far end of South Shore beach, for the little pirates who travelled with their parents to visit Oak Island. Kids would get inside the pit we had made out of Spruce logs and dig for the treasures that were salted that morning and that way, they could go home and say they found treasure on Oak Island.
This was an initiative by the Provincial Tourism Department when they ran tours of Oak Island from 1973 - 1975. I have seen some of them on ebay and I know of at least two other OITS members who own at least one. I have one too and I show it off every year at EOID. I remember seeing bags and bags of them and I often wondered where they all ended up.
Oak Island souvenirs are few and far between. Back in the day when I worked for the Tourism Department we did not have a store where OI goodies like t-shirts or hats could be sold (an over site), but I do remember having these coins, a bumper sticker and posters. I do not recall seeing any bumper stickers anywhere for sale, nor have I seen a poster, but once in a blue moon, you see these coins, congratulations, you have a real treasure."

so there ya go, even though it wasn't found on the island, i now have my very own little piece of the Oak Island treasure! :woohoo: :haha:

thanks for looking. :)

Pete

Attachments

• IMAG0232.jpg
    IMAG0232.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 34,923
  • IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 113,121
  • IMAG0234.jpg
    IMAG0234.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 29,271
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 28,193
  • IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 18,851
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 21,545
Hi, I'm not sure if this is still of interest to anyone here, but thought I should share since one is up for auction again!

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd better let Marty, and Rick know....
They may consider it as another clue to solving the 200yr old mystery :laughing::laughing:

You better throw that back. Bad luck. Don't they need to recover 1 more body before the treasure is found ?

I suspect that you have found far more than they will ever find. My thoughts on the series is that it is a "Reality Show" Cheap to make and very profitable as long as they can keep the public interested. But very little to do with Reality. I will be extremely shocked if they ever find any real treasure on Oak Island.

Back
Top Bottom