Different pin pointing methods

halfstep

Elite Member
What method do you use to pin point a target?

I've used several different methods over the years. With a double D coil, it takes more time to learn where the target is under the coil. You will most likely try different methods to find what works the best for you.

I have employed the Minelab wiggle and use the toe of the coil to locate where the target is. And dig at that point you no longer hear the beep. Not the best method is trashy sites.

I have used the cross technique where you find it one way and then turn 90 degrees and find it again. I still use this technique from time to time when the circumstance calls for it. Works good if you are having difficult from other nearby targets in the ground. A bit more time consuming to do all the time but good to know how when needed.

I have used the pin point function on the detector and try to zero in on it. Then dig at the center of the sound. Sometimes surface targets can throw off the pin point and you dig in the wrong spot. Or large targets sound shallow but are deep. When the target is shallow and you get the triple beep, you can swing your coil at 4 to 6 inches above the target and this will get you the single beep to help you locate the target. Then you know where to pin point.

Mainly when pin pointing you want to find the vertical line and horizontal line. Then dig in the center. The vertical line is "l" and the horizontal line is "-". Add both together and you have the "+". I usually just find the "l" as this is quick and easy and doesn't require you to move. You can use the pin point function or use the Minelab wiggle to quickly and accurately find the "l". Then I take my White's TRX pin pointer and drag it down thru the "l" until I run across the target. The White's TRX is a deep hitting directional pin pointer and most of the time, it will hit the target. This is a very fast, accurate and easy method to use in locating the target. If the target is too deep for the TRX, I just use the pin point function of the detector as it is more accurate if the target is deep. But most targets are shallow enough for the TRX to hit.

After a while, you kind of develop the instincts to just know where the target is when you first swing over it. You don't have to use the pin point function on the detector as much anymore. You just swing over the target a time or two and you know where it is. Often when I find the "l" line and then before I drag the TRX pin pointer down, I already know where the target is and I just sit the TRX down right on the target without having to drag down the line to find it. Probably 90% of the time, I am accurate. Even though I may already know where the target is, I usually still locate it first with the TRX just as a precaution as to keep my holes small.

Also during the locating technique of first finding the "l" then using the TRX to find the target, it gives me some feedback to the depth of the target. This is also part of the pin pointing of a target. You want to know the depth of the target also so you don't dig unnecessarily too deep or too wide. Also it can help you determine the best tool for recovery. With all the new hand diggers out there and all the talk about them, the good ole screwdriver often gets overlooked. I use the screwdriver often. It makes for retrieving those shallow targets fast and easy. No need to dig a plug if the target is only an inch or two deep.

I want to locate, pinpoint and retrieve the target as fast and easy with as little disturbance to the ground as possible and move on to the next target.

I do about the same, make a cross, and then go at it with the TRX. When the trx sounds I ratchet it down until it doesn't beep, and the last beep is where the target is at. I guess the depth by how many times I ratchet it down and most times for coins I'm dead on.

I neither like nor use the cross method, it's too time consuming and unnecessary. With the double D coil I sometimes use the wiggle method but mostly just pinpoint to where the target is under the dead center of the coil.

At least with my detectors, you can use the pinpoint method to locate the target, Then move the coil slightly to the side and hit the pinpoint button again. This narrows down the spot to dig your target.

The pin-point mode on my old Delta, with concentric coil, is spot on! With the Explorer, I can pin-point about as quickly just by sound/wiggle and a little change in sweep angle sometimes. Or use the sweep, push up and back, coil edge way (seldom). Then stick my Lesche or a golf tee (on shallow targets) in the center of the target area and dig from there. Sometimes I don't always mark the spot, just picture where it is on the ground. That being said, I am getting older and can lose my reference point, hence marking the spot...lol!

The Minelab is a sensivity Detector and the same signal for a shallow target is the same for a deep target and that is why you are having problems with pinpointing so either use the pullback method of the coil or raise the detector when pinpointing.
Could be sensitivity is too high.
TRX , when pinpointing, try ratcheting the pinpointer.
Doug

Back
Top Bottom