Fisher F75!

Xaquin

Elite Member
wheeela!

Just bought my first new (used) metal detector in maybe a decade!

I've been swinging a Fisher F2 for years now and while I like it, I've been wanting to upgrade. As a reward to myself for finally getting my finances in order, I bought a used F75 (should hopefully be arriving friday)!

I've been reading reviews and stuff for ages, but I'd love to hear from actual owners!

Anythings I should be aware of? Any tips or tricks or foibles or anything?

Holy cow, that's quite a jump! I went from the F2 to the F5 and eventually want an F70 or 75 like yours. You'll have to keep us updated on your thoughts!

will do!

tracking now says I'll have it this thursday!

I have a couple new places to go and some old ones I'd really like to revisit

Congrats on the new machine. I started last year with an F2 and quickly upgraded to the F75. I didn’t think the transition was too difficult. I ran the 4H tones, DE mode and didn’t set the sensitivity up too high and it operates similarly to the F2. The stock coil it great and the little 5” round coil is like a laser.

Pinpointing is a bit different on the F75 but you will get used it.

I also went from an F2 up to a more advanced Fisher, the F70.
No DST, I can control the thresh where yours is fixed, you have more programs and can notch out half sections where I can only notch out complete sections.
Both have boost...both work and react similarly because they are built on the same core engine.

I started a log from day one and added to it for several months as I experimented with...everything, and write down everything I learned as I learned it in the field and put in many links to pertinent technical info regarding the F70/T2/F75 platform.
Owners of all 3 have contacted me and said they learned from it.

It is here if you would like to look at it.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173474

Digger!

you're the one who sold me on the F2 originally if memory serves =)

Probably...I love Fisher products, they just work for me.
These upper end units share the same DNA as the great F2, you might find it reacting very familiar in many ways to its little cousin except there is just so...much...more!

More settings that can affect results but also a ton more power.
That was what I took a few hunts to get used to, the massive power at my disposal.
I could zero in to most targets with the F2 to a 2 or 3 number jump but with my F70 that range was more like 5-6 numbers.
Took a little bit of practice but soon enough I managed to rein it all in and control those numbers and settings better.
There is a lot more power in your new one than you might believe and I mean all the way down to...1.

I found a ton with my F2 but after the upgrade I was able to find so much more.
More targets deeper, more targets in trash, more targets in sites infested with massive iron, as I keep saying the operative word is...More!

It was fun learning mine and you should enjoy what happens with yours, too.
Oil your jaw, you are into a new, eye opening phase of your hobby and it will be dropping often.

I’ve made most of my best finds with the f75..Not a huge learning curve but there is one compared to other machines.Congrats on the f75,now you need a good shovel.lol

out of curiosity, what settings would you recommend for a beginner jumping from the F2?

I'll be detecting mostly battlefield/camp/cellar holes with not a ton of trash.

I honestly love the F2, but seeing other people pull out stuff from depths I just can't hit spurned me to upgrade. I'd be happy to hit roughly the same numbers but deeper =)

good call on the shovel!

out of curiosity, what settings would you recommend for a beginner jumping from the F2?

I'll be detecting mostly battlefield/camp/cellar holes with not a ton of trash.

I honestly love the F2, but seeing other people pull out stuff from depths I just can't hit spurned me to upgrade. I'd be happy to hit roughly the same numbers but deeper =)

good call on the shovel!

When I started I used 4 tones with the nickels set to high, it is most like the F2 that way except you will find many more nickels.
I found big, nickel area gold on my fourth hunt because of that high tone.
Used that tone option for months...found a ton, then I started to explore the other settings.
Nowadays I usually use all metal or disc set to 1-3 and one tone to hunt but that took awhile to get used to.
The good thing is almost anyway you set these things they seem to find the goods.

Factory settings can find you a bunch and great to use to get familiar with your new heater, we all find what settings we like the most eventually.

Nice. I went from an AT Pro to an F75 pretty smooth transition. With the boost process I was able to really get down to some deep coins that I missed with the at Pro.

This thing is crazy!

Since it's used, I'll need to reset the notch I think. I'm just happy so far that it arrived and works.

How can you tell if the MD is the normal or special edition? The box says special edition, but nothing in the manual or on the detector indicates if it is or not.

Enjoy

Pick up the 5 inch coil , you will love it pulling 9- 10 inch dimes on the side walk strip's and school yards , I ran the 10 x 12 sef coil on it , runs smooth , happy hunting , Earl

Xaquin: said:
out of curiosity, what settings would you recommend for a beginner jumping from the F2?[/B]

1st..
Re-boot so former settings are cleared to the default.

2nd.. You should have had an idea why you wanted to move to the Fisher F75, so study and learn what those differences or reasons are. Read th Owner Manual, cover-to-cover, and jot down any questions you have or things you don't understand, then find the answer to those.

3rd.. Once you better understand what that model offers, start hunting with the factory default settings and learn the unit. learn what it can do for you, and learn what it can't. You might find some good advantages to what you've used, and you might also find some weaknesses.

4th.. I don't own an F75 now but have had a couple in recent years. I preferred the Teknetics T2 and had several to include the T2+ and enjoyed some of the performance and features, such as the bp or Boost Process 2-Tone mode.

5th.. The bulk of my hunting with the T2's and F75's was using the 5" DD coil. For my wants and needs, that is about the best coil for most applications.

I'll be detecting mostly battlefield/camp/cellar holes with not a ton of trash.[/B]
Through the decades I have hunted a lot of cellar holes, homesteads, ghost towns, military camp and fort sites, stage stops and trading posts, etc., etc. I am referring to old-use sites 'Out West' and if your old sites don't have a ton of trash, specially some nails and other ferrous debris, then I'm amazed.

To know what is around, and to help unmask good targets that are too close to offending / masking trash, I keep my Discrimination set just low enough to barely accept Iron Nails. The low-tone audio alerts me the masking ferrous debris is around, and a slow-and-methodical search rewards me with keepers.

If the sites are not trashy where you hunt, then you are either very, very fortunate, or you're using too much Discrimination.

I honestly love the F2, but seeing other people pull out stuff from depths I just can't hit spurned me to upgrade. I'd be happy to hit roughly the same numbers but deeper =)[/B]
I wouldn't get too carried away thinking about 'depth' unless your sites are clean and free of shallower masking junk.

Since it's used, I'll need to reset the notch I think. I'm just happy so far that it arrived and works.[/B]
I hope it works for you and the sites you select and what you're looking for.

As you progress in this great sport, always be alert for things a detector can't do. Don't overlook a weakness just because it has a strength for the types of sites you enjoy hunting.

Monte

The date is the first 4 digits to come on the screen at start up..month and year..for a factory reset push the trigger forward, push in the red button at the same time and turn the machine on while doing that. After a few seconds release them

thanks all!

just to clarify, when I say 'not trashy', I mean not a lot of modern trash (pull tabs, can slaw, and bottle caps). There's definitely a lot of iron junk around =)

alright, hot takes after an hour

The Good:
Found two CW bullets in a spot I've been hitting for a decade and they were DEEP. Tones and numbers were about the same as my F2 which was nice.

The Bad:
Maaaaan, this thing is delicate. I could smash the F2 coil against a tree and get an accurate reading. If this coil brushes against a blade of grass it chatters =/

The Ugly:
the pin point tone is terribad.
not a fan of the screen. the numbers are much more difficult to read than the F2.

Stray Observations:
Chattery thing isn't it?
The depth meter is good for a chuckle. Both bullets were off by several inches.
The only coin I found was a wheatie that rang up in the upper 50s instead of the upper 60s like on my F2

Back
Top Bottom