Just don’t get it

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Usto find silver coins all the time,now I just get buttons and nickels..Hit up a mowed field today in town,have no idea what was ever there..But there was a lot of different buttons,a old belt buckle of some sort and crusty buffalo nickel.Oh,and a old crusty Jefferson nickel.:laughing:

Attachments

• A3010CF2-E7AF-4EA4-8515-EC41EF494115.jpg
    A3010CF2-E7AF-4EA4-8515-EC41EF494115.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 593
  • E9DFFA46-91FB-46F1-B964-0843DB02311A.jpg
    E9DFFA46-91FB-46F1-B964-0843DB02311A.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 516
I feel your pain!! I used to find 200+ silvers a year and now I’m lucky to find 50 a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, everywhere is toasted it seems....even the places you drive a couple hours to get to. That’s the part that hurts!:lol:

I’ve learned in the years since my girls school that every spot is not going to be gold rings, silver rings, and 15 silver coins every hunt like I was used to lol. Now it’s just about the thrill of a good hunt and getting on new permissions

I’ve learned in the years since my girls school that every spot is not going to be gold rings, silver rings, and 15 silver coins every hunt like I was used to lol. Now it’s just about the thrill of a good hunt and getting on new permissions

I totally agree, it's just not there..Its not even a factor of what machine I use either,it's the place...Gonna need to keep my eyes and ears open and find some new ground

It is getting that way for us all Pete. Door knocking has become the savior of sorts and even at that it is no guaranty. The skunks have been loose and adding up. Still a nice outing with some buttons and Nickels. Trapper

It is getting that way for us all Pete. Door knocking has become the savior of sorts and even at that it is no guaranty. The skunks have been loose and adding up. Still a nice outing with some buttons and Nickels. Trapper

Says the guy that finds silvers like us mere mortals find clad lol

Congrats on the Buff Woody and the rest .Behind silver next to an Ihp a Buff is my favorite find. A white whale for me for my first year and a half but now with the Eq.800 they seem to come quite regularly. As far as the silver it does seem to be drying up. This has been a good year and I was averaging at least one every other hunt but the last 7 outings, almost a month nada. Yesterday after digging 5 hundred year old or better coins I dug a small silver looking disc, I thought trime--nope a play money token. Oh well I still had a good hunt as did you. Press on there has got to be more out there. HH Mark

I started detecting in 1983 and back then I could pretty much expect to bag a few silver coins ALMOST every time out. This year I have THREE for the entire year. Nowadays I'm happy to get out and detect and if clad is what I find I'm still having fun and that's what a hobby is supposed to be...FUN !

Question: "Remember back when we used to fill Mason jars with all the silver coins we found detecting, and in our pocket change?"

Answer: "No" :no:

It was long before I started detecting that every dime, quarter, half and dollar were silver. Never gave it any thought that some day we would be searching diligently for a silver coin or two. Wish I had kept a jar or two full of those coins.

Well ... silver coins are a true non renewable resource .
The way money is being printed these days a pre 82 copper penny or nickel will be a buck in melt someday . Although the fact that a Big Mac doubled in price in the last 11 years ( a foolproof gauge of inflation based on meat bread and vegetables along with labor and packaging by likely the most competitive and successful business model in existence 🤔) I would say the big Mack will be 100 bucks when a copper penny is with a dollar. 😐
And it will be a slider 😳.
Oh well ... there is always sweeping the cracks in the road for platinum dust 👍
Dew

PS. After digging about 400 silvers the last 3 years I have decided that my 100 plus goal is unrealistic when compared to the sacrifices I would have to make in travel and time spent for a dime or two.
Keeping it fun and getting together with friends or just some alone time has been this years approach .
Best of luck out there gang .
Love the photos and reports silver or no.👍

It's them cheap foreign detectors. LOL

Just kidding. I've had the same issue. Used to be at least a silver or two one a hunt but lately nada. What's up with that?

Yes, Silver Coins hiding in the ground are a finite resource. And with the increasing number of detectorists and the improvements in detector capability as per depth, multi freq etc etc, the usual places of parks, schools, playfields, fairgrounds, rodeo grounds etc will eventually be cleaned out of silver.

Your choice is to give up hope of finding silver, or look for new options where silver coins are still in the ground. I live in a town in Western Montana where I don't waste time on ANY of the above spots as I know (from trying) that a silver coin would be a very rare find at those locations.

Private yards and curb strips on the boulevards / streets are very visible AND YET STILL PRODUCTIVE places to pull silver. Research thru old maps, views of early black and white Real Photo Postcards showing abandoned rodeo grounds, ballfields, swimming holes and just about everything are great leads to chase. Talking to local old-timers as to where they hung out can be good. Was just looking at some old photo postcards on eBay the other day, some showed a baseball field, now just a pasture, near Circle Montana. Another read in a history book of Western North Dakota mentioned an old county fairgrounds, now on "so and so's private property" that operated from 1909 to 1920. You bet I will chase those leads like that, and the silver coins will be there!

Back
Top Bottom