1st GOLD COIN!! wait..

DigginLikeADog

Thought I had my first gold coin, I really did. What I do have it still interesting.. but not gold.

I decided to venture out to a park I've only detected once before. Its an old farm field in the middle of nowhere. I got all my gear on and let the dog lead the way..

About 15 feet from the parking lot she decided it was time for business, so I figured I'd drop my coil too. :laughing: Glad that I did! I swung maybe 3 times before I got a great tone and 25 VDI. I dug down maybe 4 inches and flipped over the plug- oh my! I couldn't believe it!! I just started running (yeah, like Forrest Gump). Took me a minute or two to really gather my bearings and relax enough to inspect what I had found. I never record my digs. But, after recently finding a 1652 Oak Tree Shilling, I figured I should record this one or else no one will believe me. If only you could hear the disappointment.. and then the re-excitement in my voice.

What I did find was a brass 1850's Merchants Token
E. LYON 424 BROADWAY, NEW YORK, NEW YORK
REVERSE: MAGNETIC POWDER & PILLS FOR INSECTS AND RATS

I'm still really happy with this find!

Remember, not all that glitters is gold.. sometimes its brass.

HH

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 518
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 486
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_3374.jpg
    IMG_3374.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 484
Lol, I can certainly see where you would have thought that was a five dolla gold piece at first or second rub. I can only imagine that was a rush than a let down for you. Still a very cool find! Congratulations, still a memory to be cherished.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Man that would’ve had me going as well! Even though it’s not gold it’s still an awesome find. Congrats!

Oh man, It does look real at first glance, I had a similar experience a little while back so I can relate. Still and awesome find and probably one of the coolest tokens I've seen posted. Congrats, HH Mark

That is a sweet token! The excitement, the let down, the excitement again! What a great find story. And good doggie! [emoji106][emoji4]

Good story. Good pix. Good research. I know it's hard to find a gold coin on the east coast, so I'll bet that one gave you a heart attack !

Congratulations on a neat find but glad I did not find it. If I had my funeral would be in a few days.

That is a really nice token! E G Lyons put out a line of smooth base and pontiled "Insect Powder" bottles that come in all kinds of crazy colors... puce, amber, greens, olive, aquas etc that are very collectible. That token would be very desirable to a Lyons Insect Powder collector!

Back
Top Bottom