• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A pile of history!

JackDetect97

Today must have been one of my best hunts so far. Went back to the field Ive been trying to find the remnants of a town. My two very first digs were historical treasures! A pretty large flat button (how old is it?) And my newest oldest coin to date! An 1864 Indian Head!! Amongst my other finds were a 1948 tag, my second harmonica reed, some gun casings, an axe head, and a giant piece of an iron fence! Took me a bit to get out and lug back home but its pretty neat to look at!
20190913_185645.jpg
20190913_185255.jpg
20190913_185054.jpg
20190913_185022.jpg
20190913_192533.jpg

Some nice relics and coins, there's bound to be a seated coin or older in that field. Good luck out there, and keep us posted! :cool3:

Well I went back today and found nothing but beer cans and trash! One day youre lucky, the next day youre picking up trash!

Sounds about right, welcome to the hobby! :laughing: all it takes is one nice find, and all the trash you dug on that hunt is suddenly worth it. Your definitely in the right area, and I would hazard a guess there's probably alot of iron in there. Go low and slow, listen for little squeaks hiding amongst all the broken not so solid tones. Yes, this hobby has some luck involved, BUT put the time in to figure out the good spots and you will be rewarded eventually for sure. PA is one of the best states to live in as far as metal detecting goes. Happy hunting! :cool:

Sounds about right, welcome to the hobby! :laughing: all it takes is one nice find, and all the trash you dug on that hunt is suddenly worth it. Your definitely in the right area, and I would hazard a guess there's probably alot of iron in there. Go low and slow, listen for little squeaks hiding amongst all the broken not so solid tones. Yes, this hobby has some luck involved, BUT put the time in to figure out the good spots and you will be rewarded eventually for sure. PA is one of the best states to live in as far as metal detecting goes. Happy hunting! :cool:

If anything, hole after hole I just kept digging up aluminum. Using my nox 600, there are moments where Ill go over a very faint squeak that doesnt bring up any vdi and Im not sure if I should dig those? It gets difficult trying to figure out "should I dig or not?" Any advice for that?

... a very faint squeak that doesnt bring up any vdi and Im not sure if I should dig those? It gets difficult trying to figure out "should I dig or not?" Any advice for that?

Can't speak for the 600 specifically, but, ... in general for detector disc. TID's: There is a the "fringe of depth" where TID's don't lock on, or they descend into the all-metal/iron range. You can simply ignore anything that's not giving positive ID. And risk some super deep miss. And save on a butt-load of junk digging.

But based on what you're saying about the lots-of-aluminum you're digging, I'd say it's not that you're lacking TID on deeper ones, but that you're simply allowing yourself to dig up lots of lower aluminum TID's . Which is fine if you don't want to miss a small gold ring or nickel.

or you can elect to cherry pick a little, and pass foil and tabs if you're in an area with an ocean of such junk. Depends on the location and strategy. Some places are done with a relic-mindset (dig all except iron). Other places are done with a bit of selectivity involved, in a quest for higher conductors.

Back
Top Bottom