Short hunt gets me another Merc. Silver # 43 FTY

MTtrashdigger

Elite Member
Made it out for the first time since my epic afternoon in Missoula with LovestheShiny. That hunt may have spoiled me for a while but I figured I better get back to reality and see what I could find in my own town.
Went to an older neighborhood and secured a permission at a 1940 corner house. A couple of mature trees in the curbstrips so I started there. Not too many signals at all, a couple shallow zincolns and a couple pull tabs. Finally got a deeper penny signal and pulled a 1940 wheat. Went through the rest of the strip on both sides of the corner and found virtually nothing,-- kind of discouraging. I started the yard and it was pretty clean as well. I finally got a weird jumpy high tone going from 25 to 36 on my Equinox but it was fairly shallow so curiosity got the best of me and I dug it. It turned out to be a 1973 half dollar, only the 5th half of any kind I have ever dug. Encouraging to think that halves are still out there. Anyway, back to carefully gridding and I was able to pull a couple newer Jefferson nickels and 5 more wheats from the 40s and 50s. I began to think that maybe this yard had been detected before due to the lack of signals of any type. Finally near the front porch sidewalk, I got that smooth, repeatable relatively deep 26 tone. After pulling an easy plug, 6 inches down was the silver dime I knew was there. a 1939 Merc.
The next 45 minutes produced nothing else but a couple scraps of aluminum gutter trim and a couple more zincolns. Not unhappy with the results but my expectations are apparently a little higher than they used to be.
Thanks for that ,LovestheShiny! :laughing:

Attachments

• 6 wheats and aMerc 9-18-19.jpg
    6 wheats and aMerc 9-18-19.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 146
Congrats on the 1939 Merc Dime, it is sure nice looking, and your other finds! Yeah... those multiple Silvers hunts do spoil a guy...:lol:

That's a great hunt in my book! :thumbsup: Congrats on the very nice silver dime, the '73 half, and the wheat cents!

Back
Top Bottom