• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hatian 1850 "Largie" on island in Maine!

DoctorWhy

This was not an expected find... On the island off the coast of Maine where I live, it is not uncommon to find the occasional French, British, or early American coins spanning from the late-1600's up to current times. Finding a KG II or Draped Bust near an old cellar hole or along an old oxen trail is a true joy but somewhat expected, given the history of the island. Today, I was swinging the coil as I walked along one of those long-abandoned oxen haul roads and was surprised by a loud clear tone on the Equinox. Dug this coin from 6" down. First thought was that it was a bit large and thin for a 'largie'. The coin was a bit 'crusty', but below the bust, "1850" was clearly visible and to the right of the date is the word: "HAITI...

A bit of internet research revealed its identity: a 32.4-millimeter, copper 1850 Hatian 6¼-centime coin, bearing a crowned bust with French legend for “Faustin I, Emperor of Haiti.

Now wondering how this artifact wound up buried along an old oxen road in the middle of the woods on an island off the coast of Maine may just keep me awake tonight -- or maybe not...

Happy hunting,
--Bert

Attachments

• Hatian_1850_6¼-centime_Smalls_sm.jpg
    Hatian_1850_6¼-centime_Smalls_sm.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Haitian_1850_6¼-centime_Example.jpg
    Haitian_1850_6¼-centime_Example.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 278
Yes, rare and a great find.

Being that there was probably lots of maritime activity it is not to surprising to find a coin from the Caribbean. This was a surprise to me when visiting Newport RI. Lots of Caribbean connects there like the pineapple symbol.

This was not an expected find... On the island off the coast of Maine where I live, it is not uncommon to find the occasional French, British, or early American coins spanning from the late-1600's up to current times. ...

sick sick sick.

And yes, the intrigue about the back-story on that coin's travels would be interesting, if only the coin could talk !

Back
Top Bottom