more problems with the equinox 800

If you keep it plugged in until after a home rinse and a dry you are screwing up. I used to do that until i saw the plug was turning green in a day. I get home, unplug and blow mine out with fresh water right in the headphone hole. No rot that way.

Negative ghost rider.... both the coil plug and waterproof headphone plug create water tight seals. You should basically never unplug the coil unless you're swapping it out and the headphone plug should never get water in it unless you're unplugging it at the beach and washing it out.

It even says in the manual that you're supposed to leave it plugged in until you get home to rinse it.

I do however wash the ghost amphibian connector after unhooking it. Salt can creep into the connection making it difficult to plug in.

Next time we hunt together which hopefully will be soon, I want you to call me over next time you get a signal you think the nox won't hear.

I'm not going to argue about this... with the skullies they give me the edge but you believe what you want...

Bummer that sucks. And being outside of the US is a bigger headache. I never went back in the water with mine after flooding and replacing. Was hoping to shelf the cz-21 and use the Equinox straight through but seems like it'll be cz in the water and Equinox on wet slope. :(

Yup, went the same route.. pulling the CZ out of the closet and use that in the deeper water, but I still used the NOX in the shallows and damp sand. Still a great machine in my opinion

I do however wash the ghost amphibian connector after unhooking it. Salt can creep into the connection making it difficult to plug in.
Thats what i was talking about. Also good to occasionally break the coil one loose. Not at the beach though:lol:

I suspect after 3 years it’s paid for and if you haven’t had a problem you may not.

Mine with 15' coil paid itself within a month, in 5 hunts. Will probably sell the machine when warranty is about 6 months left and buy a brand new one :cool3:

I was going to suggest the Calabash Digger’s video on burping the Nox but I see it’s already been suggested.
I’ve had my early issue 800 underwater with no issues yet. Good luck!

That is exactly what mine did! Got the replacement pod but have yet to use it in the water. I'm a bit apprehensive now.

I feel kind of the same way. My display leaked, but the 800 worked fine. Minelab sent me a new control unit the same day they received the leaky one.

I am also apprehensive now about going back in the water and losing my detector for a week. Funny, you may not use your detector for two weeks and no big deal. But the moment you send it in for repair, you are wanting it back ASAP.

Since maxxkatt bumped this the update is that they replaced my unit for a new one. I am NOT going to take the chance and water detect with it before I head north in october, not worth the risk. On my trip north I am trading it for a used minelab excall II, and I will HAPPY to be swinging an excal again!

Since maxxkatt bumped this the update is that they replaced my unit for a new one. I am NOT going to take the chance and water detect with it before I head north in october, not worth the risk. On my trip north I am trading it for a used minelab excall II, and I will HAPPY to be swinging an excal again!

Yeah it leaves you nervous. After my CTX leaked at the screen i don't even use it in the rain. I don't get as nervous swimming with a Nox since i have 3 excals for back ups. You really get scared water hunting with a CTX out of warranty:shock:

Hi Zeemang.
For me the Nox is a god sent.
I was using Excalibur’s but the the cables didn’t last long no matter how well I tried to maintain them. There is no Minelab agent here where I live so repairs are very expensive.
Anyway I bought Nox 600 and flooded it the first time I dunked it in the ocean.
I sent it in for repair, and bought an 800 while it was being repaired.
When I got my 600 back I took it for a swim and haven’t had any problems yet.
For me being able to replace coils and headphones is important.
Love the Excal and I miss it. In a way I hate the Nox, the sound of it does my head in, but I do find gold and it’s deep.
Minelab did me good on the repair and I wasn’t charge for shipping.
I work these thing hard, I’ll run mine as hard as need be and send it in if it breaks. I’ll get rid of these things like hot potatoes when the warranty expires.

Back
Top Bottom