Three, non-MD finds

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Found the turkey leg in the creek while bottle hunting. It was discolored black, like everything in the creek. Scrubbed and soaked in peroxide and I like how white it is. If I had another one I'd glue them together to make a cross, but as is I'm going to just drill a hole and hang from car mirror.

The fossil in the large gravel piece I just happened to notice in the drive way. Looks like a bird or insect wing.

My husband found the arrowhead fossil while he was fishing.

Just thought I'd post these "treasures," just something to look at.

Attachments

• DSCN4270.JPG
    DSCN4270.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 584
  • DSCN4269.JPG
    DSCN4269.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 549
  • DSCN4271.JPG
    DSCN4271.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 554
That turkey lag has a good size spur! Nice job bringing out the white. The "wing" fossil seems questionable, but that's a good thing, in the mysterious world of rocks. The arrowhead impression is very cool! Something I've never seen or heard of before! Nice finds. :yes:

Thank you for the replies, Zeemag and Foragist.

I thought the limestone impression looked like a wing but who knows. Was surprised how small that arrowhead impression is compared to size of a penny, though. May have been for rabbits or squirrels.

Sorry to disappoint you but the second pic is a natural fracture pattern in the rock, which appears to be limestone. And the 'arrowhead' is also a natural depression and/or stain. They are interesting curiosities, but unfortunately are tricks of mother nature and not fossils.

Sorry to disappoint you but the second pic is a natural fracture pattern in the rock, which appears to be limestone. And the 'arrowhead' is also a natural depression and/or stain. They are interesting curiosities, but unfortunately are tricks of mother nature and not fossils.

:yes:

You didn't disappoint me because although you may be right about the second picture, I'm pretty darn sure the arrowhead depression is from an arrowhead. Just how do you know it isn't???

You didn't disappoint me because although you may be right about the second picture, I'm pretty darn sure the arrowhead depression is from an arrowhead. Just how do you know it isn't???

Pretty simple -- you can't push an arrowhead into solid rock to make an impression...:no:;)

I would also assume the rock is millions of years old.

Yeah, Pplinker, they're right. That type of arrowhead wouldn't have been around long enough to have become "fossilized", or leave a fossil impression in solid stone. They were only invented a few thousand years ago, but would take WAAY longer to form into that rock.
It's such a definite "arrowhead" shape, I would call it a coincidental miracle of nature. Still very cool!

Back
Top Bottom