Permission to hunt property in gold mining town.

Livinlocal619

so as I recently got into this hobby and I have only been hunting beaches because here in San Diego I feel that is probably going to be the most rewarding place. We don't really have a lot of places to hunt like the East coast when it comes to older relics and coins, but it just came to me about a relative's property in Julian, which is in the outskirts of San Diego. Julian had the first and only gold rush in San diego, in the 1800's, and now hosts tours to gold mines. Well a family member owns a large piece of property thatI believe maybe a good place to hunt. There is a section where a seasonal river flows through, which is where I think I'm going to start. I'm not necessarily looking for gold, but possibly some people settled here a long time ago.

I am going to be using an equinox 800. Can anybody share some advice on the best settings to use? Or any tips? Again, this will be my first time hunting anywhere except for a beach. I have many hours under my belt detecting already, but am not sure if I should try and use the stock settings for tweak them a little bit. Thanks in advance!

Good luck in the Julian area. I've got old coins from that area . You might also look into old time camps and resorts in the area. Eg.: scout camps, fraternal lodge camps, church camps, auto-camps, old time swim holes, etc....

Get Chris Wray's book : "The Historic Backcountry". That is priceless and led us to some cool sites down that way :)

As for settings, it'll depend on the exact site and objective. Like if you're in a camp or swim hole that's been used up to modern times, perhaps you'll want to be selective and pass foil, etc... ? If you're in a stage stop cellar hole type location, then you'll want to go into relic mindset. If you're going for nuggets (since, as you say, they historically got gold there), then naturally you'll use the 800's prospect mode.

As for the historic gold there, I think it was mostly placer (eg.: hard-rock mining @ stamp mills to refine the gold out of dust from the rocks/dirt ?) Ie.: as opposed to nuggets ? Not sure, as I'm not into nuggets.

Good luck. And don't forget to send me my 30% cut ! :D

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely purchase the book. As for the location, I'm going to be hunting on my relatives property so I wouldn't really know what was there in the past, but there are no structures on their property besides their house. I'm thinking that since their property is so large and has multiple orchards, that people may have settled there with campsites back in the day. I'm really just looking for old coins and relics, not so much gold so thank you for the advice on the type of golden Julian. I'm hopeful that since there is a stream that runs through their property comment that people would hang out there and camp, but this is all just a big guess.

Good luck in the Julian area. I've got old coins from that area . You might also look into old time camps and resorts in the area. Eg.: scout camps, fraternal lodge camps, church camps, auto-camps, old time swim holes, etc....

Get Chris Wray's book : "The Historic Backcountry". That is priceless and led us to some cool sites down that way :)

As for settings, it'll depend on the exact site and objective. Like if you're in a camp or swim hole that's been used up to modern times, perhaps you'll want to be selective and pass foil, etc... ? If you're in a stage stop cellar hole type location, then you'll want to go into relic mindset. If you're going for nuggets (since, as you say, they historically got gold there), then naturally you'll use the 800's prospect mode.

As for the historic gold there, I think it was mostly placer (eg.: hard-rock mining @ stamp mills to refine the gold out of dust from the rocks/dirt ?) Ie.: as opposed to nuggets ? Not sure, as I'm not into nuggets.

Good luck. And don't forget to send me my 30% cut ! :D

Don't forget to grab a famous Julian pie! :)

Funny you say that, because the property is owned by my aunt and uncle, which their orchards supply's a lot of the apple pies in Julian. They are picking pears this weekend, which made me think about going up there to go hunting

Funny you say that, because the property is owned by my aunt and uncle, which their orchards supply's a lot of the apple pies in Julian. They are picking pears this weekend, which made me think about going up there to go hunting

I too am a fan of the Julian Pie's, A few years ago, My daughter had a "Camping" wedding about 30 minutes from Julian.. and as part of the reception she had Julian Pie's.. I had to go pick up about 15 of them for the reception. Your Aunt and Uncle produce some mighty nice apples. It will be interesting to hear about what you find out there.. I would assume many migrants over the years coming through to help pick. You may find some Mexican Gold.. or perhaps you never know.. maybe Some Mexican Silver coins.

Good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom