Equinox update

I’ll be amazed if Minelab ever issues another update for the Equinox series. There hasn’t been an update in over a year, plus the detector is “old news” at this point - it’s been out for two almost 2 years, and Minelab has new machines coming out...their focus is on other things.

The source for this Nox update news is a website from Russia. I am not bashing the source because it is Russian. I just don't believe it until I see it from Minelab. The Minelab sources that I go to have not said a word about an update. Could be a non-disclosure agreement or no update exists or someone leaked a true or totally bogus story to the Russian site for whatever reason.

Personally, I would really like an update for the "High-Beam" backlight on the 600 and a little more easy to access iron recognition. So, maybe it's true.

Jeff

Quite possible Minelab learned something in the testing of the Vanquish that could be used on the Nox. There was a slight hint on another forum about an update. We will just have to wait.

Well... My Magic 8 Ball says, "Don't count on it."

What is odd though, is Minelab sells these with "Updatable" as one of the selling points. This leads the buyer to believe that their purchase can and will be improved as new and better information is learned and programs made.

Yet, the only update so far is for a complaint that would have killed the Nox had it not been "fixed".

Since then, nothing. So, are we left to believe that the Nox is as good as it can ever be? Hence, no update can be produced. Or, as has been pointed out, now that it is about 2 years old, it is no longer a concern and therefore not worthy of an update?

If that is the case then we as purchasers who put value in an "Updatable" machine should really reconsider the worth of the term "Updatable" when looking for new detectors.

Last edited:
I’ll be amazed if Minelab ever issues another update for the Equinox series. There hasn’t been an update in over a year, plus the detector is “old news” at this point - it’s been out for two almost 2 years, and Minelab has new machines coming out...their focus is on other things.

Yeah i paid 2500$ for my CTX when they came out. Only one update ever. Was amazed when the Nox had one update. That update didn't work well where i hunt. Went back to the old version.

Andy sabisch said the update is suppose to help with identifying bottle caps and iron better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish they’d fix the silver on edge better. Even after the update I can’t get that good of a signal from anything bigger then a silver dime on edge....

There needs to be an update asap i have found a big problem unless its my coil /software issue. Im in contact with minelab via email and telephone. Ireland office keep passing the issue on to Australia with no reply at all for last 7 emails calls and over 6 months now

The nox will NOT pick up good coin under iron nail ( one way only ) but will if turned 90 degrees.. In real time in field we dont do that unless we get a slight reason to investigate more like slight tone and iron together.

I think its a software or coil signal issue tbh and im guessing minelab dont want to admit this what being there Nox sales.. even tho they will be concentrating in the Garret/Vanquish release :laughing:

There needs to be an update asap i have found a big problem unless its my coil /software issue. Im in contact with minelab via email and telephone. Ireland office keep passing the issue on to Australia with no reply at all for last 7 emails calls and over 6 months now

The nox will NOT pick up good coin under iron nail ( one way only ) but will if turned 90 degrees.. In real time in field we dont do that unless we get a slight reason to investigate more like slight tone and iron together.

I think its a software or coil signal issue tbh and im guessing minelab dont want to admit this what being there Nox sales.. even tho they will be concentrating in the Garret/Vanquish release :laughing:

First, welcome.

Second, sorry man, no.
You are talking about detecting a target in a position we call "Down the Pipe", and there are very few detectors out there that can do this well so there is nothing wrong with your Nox.
Don't believe me, look on YouTube for Monte nail board test...there are a lot there with all kinds of detectors and coils testing out exactly this problem.
Position #2, Direction #4.

You will notice some can get at least a decent signal but very few, most just can't pick up the coin nearly as well, if at all, as if you turned 90 degrees and hit the coin and nail the short way instead of the long way...exactly as you described.
These are tools, not miracle workers.
To expect them to do everything perfect 100% all the time is asking a little too much.
I have a Nox and I love it but I also understand it is great at some things and not so great at others.
Hitting targets down the Pipe is just not one of the things it is good at.

Here is a nail board test with a Nox...go to minute 13.
Notice using different programs it hits the coin from on direction, 3, but it can't hit it in direction 4.

You don't have time to turn 90 degrees in the field to check these sounds a little odd to me but whatever.
A new update won't help you, taking an extra 2 seconds to check targets better might.
A smaller sniper coil might also and work better but don't quote me on that.

If that won't work track down another detector that will do the job better on your nail problem.
Tesoros, for example, seem to hit a coin down the barrel pretty well and there are a few others.

Here is a Mojave, it hits everything very well from all directions.
Go to 12:30.

First, welcome.

Second, sorry man, no.
You are talking about detecting a target in a position we call "Down the Pipe", and there are very few detectors out there that can do this well so there is nothing wrong with your Nox.
Don't believe me, look on YouTube for Monte nail board test...there are a lot there with all kinds of detectors and coils testing out exactly this problem.
Position #2, Direction #4.

You will notice some can get at least a decent signal but very few, most just can't pick up the coin nearly as well, if at all, as if you turned 90 degrees and hit the coin and nail the short way instead of the long way...exactly as you described.
These are tools, not miracle workers.
To expect them to do everything perfect 100% all the time is asking a little too much.
I have a Nox and I love it but I also understand it is great at some things and not so great at others.
Hitting targets down the Pipe is just not one of the things it is good at.

Here is a nail board test with a Nox...go to minute 13.
Notice using different programs it hits the coin from on direction, 3, but it can't hit it in direction 4.

You don't have time to turn 90 degrees in the field to check these sounds a little odd to me but whatever.
A new update won't help you, taking an extra 2 seconds to check targets better might.
A smaller sniper coil might also and work better but don't quote me on that.

If that won't work track down another detector that will do the job better on your nail problem.
Tesoros, for example, seem to hit a coin down the barrel pretty well and there are a few others.

Here is a Mojave, it hits everything very well from all directions.
Go to 12:30.

Thanks for the welcome

I agree on some of your parts but disagree on others.
I have a ctx and a nox 800 and full latest Deus Hf coil and x35

did same test on all three and deus and ctx both work both ways
nox didnt
i have been metal detecting for near on 16 yrs and 3 of my other friends one of which has detected over 30 years regularly sold his nox he said he didnt trust it .

My point here wasn't to say the nox is rubbish it was to suggest maybe a software problem maybe the case ( re the problem we had with nox not picking up silver on side issue for EG ) didnt happen until loads complained.
Also i know that hopefully not many coins will be under or next to a nail lets say in the direction but on 3 of the tests we did air and in soil the nox didnt pick it up at all and that would make most of us keep walk ie lost target that was my point.

BTW t your first Vid re nox working with nail has an error? it wont play??

I know that 4 other people have sold there nox ( experienced MD )

Any way minelab are looking into it but i dont hold my breath
Thats why im sticking with my Deus

Back
Top Bottom