Sometimes what looks like trash, may not be

jerrycoastalnc

Last Sat. I dug a signal that was an old can,I started to trash it. It was smashed nearly flat, turn it over had a hole with a thimble sticking out, caked with wet sand. May be something else in it, but I decided rather than opening it I would take it home and let the family see it being opened. Mon. night after dinner we gathered around the table. First was a Civil War bullet then a second, then a third (carved). Then I saw the edge of a coin, with the thickness I knew it was a Indian Head Cent (1864). Had about a teaspoon of dirt out on the cardboard. Noticed a clump looked square, rubbed the dirt off, it was a dice. Then I found the other one, they're small less than 5/16". Another clump spotted a silver edge, sure enough 1853 three cent piece. That was it and everyone was excited. MVC-016S.JPG

MVC-017S.JPG

MVC-018S.JPG

MVC-019S.JPG

Last Sat. I dug a signal that was an old can,I started to trash it. It was smashed nearly flat, turn it over had a hole with a thimble sticking out, caked with wet sand............That was it and everyone was excited.......

I'm sure you were. I would have been bouncing off the walls. That's among the best recoveries I've ever seen posted. Wow! Don't ever, ever break up that set! Congratulations!

Can you at least give a general description of the location? Farm field? Park? House? Also, any other noteworthy finds from the same property?

..........I knew it was a Indian Head Cent (1864). ...........

Also, it would be interesting to see how much detail is on that Indian Head Cent if you plan to clean it up and take more photos.

That coin obviously dates the little package as being no earlier than 1864. If the coin has tons of detail, then the chances of it being dropped during the civil war goes up quite a bit. If it's well worn, then likely dropped post civil war.

So cool.

...That's among the best recoveries I've ever seen posted. Wow! Don't ever, ever break up that set!

Agreed!! What a tremendous recovery - almost like a time capsule!! You definitely need to keep those together - it's a shadow box waiting to happen! :yes:

I've had a couple "trash" finds that have turned out to be something cool - but nothing quite as unique and personal as this! Great job keeping a sharp eye and realizing that this "junk" had the potential to be interesting and special!

Also, it would be interesting to see how much detail is on that Indian Head Cent if you plan to clean it up and take more photos.

That coin obviously dates the little package as being no earlier than 1864. If the coin has tons of detail, then the chances of it being dropped during the civil war goes up quite a bit. If it's well worn, then likely dropped post civil war.

So cool.
I haven't done any type of cleaning to any of the finds. On the IHC it looks shiny around the date. On the dice look to be home made, the dots are a little offset and you can see cut marks on some sides.MVC-020S.JPG

MVC-021S.JPG

MVC-023S.JPG

MVC-024S.JPG

Agreed!! What a tremendous recovery - almost like a time capsule!! You definitely need to keep those together - it's a shadow box waiting to happen! :yes:

I've had a couple "trash" finds that have turned out to be something cool - but nothing quite as unique and personal as this! Great job keeping a sharp eye and realizing that this "junk" had the potential to be interesting and special!

The smashed can wasn't round. The lid is rectangle 1 1/2" X 4" X appox. 3 1/2" tall

Incredible find...congrats! I'm amazed the can was still intact after all this time.

I haven't done any type of cleaning to any of the finds. On the IHC it looks shiny around the date. On the dice look to be home made, the dots are a little offset and you can see cut marks on some sides.

I wonder if the silver trime was used as a spinner toy? Are the holes too close to the edge to work properly? Seeing the dice made me think of it.

Like this:
https://youtu.be/-QMmfDhrZxg?t=52

That Indian has some good detail left, so I'd put it a lot closer to the 1860's than 1900. Maybe dropped or tossed out just a few years after the war was over.

That is a cool story. You’re right most people would have probably just thrown that out and never thought anything else of it. Great recovery and that I’m sure is one you’ll never forget

Wow, go back, that trime is holed like a bracelet link, should be more.
I would keep all that in a deerskin pouch and add elk ivory and such , just to tote around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom