Canadian Silver

RainorShine

Forum Supporter
My buddy convinced me to post this just because it was so unusual. Was out this last week curbstripping in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Got a permission at an 1890's vintage house. There were a lot of wheat cents, one of them being a very toasty 1913S, and my buddy picked up a couple Indians. Down near the sidewalk I got a decent 27-28 signal on my NOX. Only 4-6 inches deep, but the ground in this area was unusual with lots of pebble and cobble mixed in so many of the older coins were unexpectedly shallow. Popped out the plug and saw the unmistakable silver rim. Thought at first it might be a Merc, but looking closer at the bust on the front of the coin it was obvious that it wasn't a U.S. coin because it was the profile of Queen Victoria. After getting it home and cleaning off the mud I was able to get a look at the back of the coin, and was surprised to see the date 1870. So, this was a Canadian 1870 Queen Victoria era 10 Cent piece. It's not uncommon to recover Canadian coins in this area, and I have actually found 3 other Canadian silver coins in the past, but this one was a real surprise. This is the second oldest coin I have ever found with the oldest being an 1864 Danish 10 Ore coin. I also happened to find a 1945 GW in the same area. Have to get back to that area after my hand heals up from a bit of surgery!! GL & HH to everyone.

Attachments

• 20210119_153005.jpg
    20210119_153005.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 329
  • 20210122_123706.jpg
    20210122_123706.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 20210122_123735.jpg
    20210122_123735.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 20210119_191222.jpg
    20210119_191222.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 298
Luv them Canadian silver coins. They are beautiful. And I like the in-situ reveal pix too !

Nice EARLY Canuck Dime there Gale! I've dug a few of the Queen Victoria dimes, one was worn so badly I couldn't get a date, they are a nice "change up" from Mercs and Rosies. Hope you hand heals up fast!

Luv them Canadian silver coins. They are beautiful. And I like the in-situ reveal pix too !

Thanks Tom. They are decent looking coins but I don't think they hold a candle to the Merc or SLQ.

Very nice finds, that's an old Canadian for sure! Congrats!

Thank you.

Nice EARLY Canuck Dime there Gale! I've dug a few of the Queen Victoria dimes, one was worn so badly I couldn't get a date, they are a nice "change up" from Mercs and Rosies. Hope you hand heals up fast!

Thanks David. Yeah, Ow, Ow Ow! The first 24 hours are always the worst. Makes the typing a little tough. Stitches out in 2 weeks. Hopefully be able to get back out soon after that.

Thanks and thanks for the link. This is definitely more likely your kind of silver. Looks like the wide 0 variety. A little less common.

Man that’s an oldie! Would love to find something like that, congrats!

Thank you. That's the great thing about this hobby. You can never be absolutely sure what that next signal is going to be. Pull the handle and spin the reels - you too could get a great surprise in your next plug.

Very nice save RoS. Congrats on the shiny. So far, only Canadian pennies for me, I would love to dig some silver, especially one that old. Well done and hope you're back to 100 % soon. Mark

Back
Top Bottom