People need to mind their own business

Sandalsdetector

For the most part when I am out and detecting in local parks I have no issues. No cops being called, no rude people, no nothing. But the other day during my last search of this one park near me I had someone muttering to herself. Now keep in mind this is probably my fourth time going through this particular park. So I was digging this one spot and over to my right side I could hear this lady walking her dog muttering that she couldn't believe they allow me to dig up the park. This just struck me as funny for several reasons. One, I was off to the side of the walkway where there is no grass and no one would be playing at anyway. Second, who would care? I always make sure to dig a proper hole and fill the hole back up when I am finished. Third, if she really had such a big issue with what I am doing she could have politely asked me to stop or said something instead of making a comment out loud under her breath. We all know that kind of comment is meant to be heard sorta. And I'm not an intimidating guy. I'm 5'4" for F's sake. So there is my story. well, I guess more of a rant. But please feel free to tell me your thoughts and comments. Cause I was half tempted to get her attention and confront her. In the most polite way of course. :p

Tell her you can't believe they left a dog poop in the park either...
Exactly! Only a very small percentage actually scoop! And I guarantee her dog has crapped in that park.
I have gotten to the point where I usually hunt in the low visibility areas, but if I get a complainer It doesn't even bother me anymore.

She doesn't own/run the park so F her. I wouldn't even care what she has to say. I would just give the crazy eyes every time she walks by.

I can understand how it might irk you. But it's best just to mutter a dirty phrase (just enough for her to hear, and ignore her)...
Muttering..(why do they let batshit crazy old ladies in the park?)

If that happens to me I'll walk up to her and say "excuse me, do you have dog poop bags on you? if not, then you are doing more harm out here than I am, not to mention being rude and irritating people just trying to enjoy their hobbies".
Oh and did she have a barking loud annoying dog?

I was filling a plug in a local park when a little girl about 9 years old walks up to me and asks if I had found anything good. I said "Not yet" and she went on to ask me "Do you have permission to do that here?"

I smiled and said 'Yes, go tell your dad that I have written permission to detect here."

I knew that he sent her over, hope he felt stupid by my reply!

After touring a few large cities with my daughter, I can tell you that there are a lot of people who are not quite right in the head.
No sense in confronting these people, they would not get it anyways.

The way I see it these people have every right to complain and hate the fact that I am there.
And I have every right to ignore them and I love the fact that they get so worked up so easily.
I am a very non confrontational personal, so when someone gets upset with me I normally say something upbeat and positive like "Allright!!! I found another penny!! Sweeeeeet! It drives people crazy when they try to get a certain reaction out of you and you give them the opposite!! :D

The way I see it these people have every right to complain and hate the fact that I am there.
And I have every right to ignore them and I love the fact that they get so worked up so easily.
I am a very non confrontational personal, so when someone gets upset with me I normally say something upbeat and positive like "Allright!!! I found another penny!! Sweeeeeet! It drives people crazy when they try to get a certain reaction out of you and you give them the opposite!! :D

I's funny how some people are really friendly, and am interested in what you are finding, and wish you find something good. And then the other people, who I think are just unhappy, and want to make everyone else unhappy? I feel sorry for those folks.
HH everyone

Yeah because metal detecting is the worst thing people do in parks..not the public drinking or drugs or littering lol...there's always those uptight lame douchebags that think because they walk they're dog there they own it.I'm with you man those types annoy me to..o well they'll get over it lol

I think I like your response the best aj...lmao that's to funny I gotta try that sometime

A lot of detecting folk I now are considering wearing a body cams
Just like many cars now have dash cams.
Nice to have video evidence of any bad encounters.

I tend to hunt obscure out of the way areas. Grass Median on Sunday, bus stops and hiking or horse trails.

Some of my worst experiences have been in public parks.

I was digging a yard across the street from my house. A neighbor lady yelled across the street and asked if I had permission. I told her yes and everything was cool. A little sad that she didn't recognize me as a neighbor. However it's also nice to know that she saw something unusual and asked. I feel safer.

Advice and opinions...... get used to it, get comfortable with what your doing and above all when you in public always manage to pick up some paper or some trash while you doing it and make sure others see it. Once they see you picking up trash as well, what can they say...

I was followed by a town official and as I saw him coming to me I bent down and picked up some trash floating around, I looked back and he abandoned his hunt for nothing better to do.....

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life . I forgot I was looking at older posts 😃

Back
Top Bottom